Exhaust Cutout - Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
One more thing to add to the install:

The bolt holes on the dump pipe's flange did not line up with the Magnaflow cutouts holes. So I cut the holes on the QTP flange open (see pic), but I didn't feel good about that, because it seemed like that flange became a weak part in the set up and the heat might bow it and cause it to come loose...

Today, I took the cover that came with the MF cutout (see pic) and used a hole saw to drill a 3" hole (see pic), I filed it down nice and smooth and replaced the QTP flange with the my home made flange. Now I feel much better. :crazy:

Oh, and I also replaced the wing nuts with regular nuts, because wing nuts are ***, j/k! :roflsquared:

I'm planning on running this exact same setup sometime so I'm curious...The QTP dump pipe didn't line up, but the QTP Cutout did line up to the Magnaflow pipe? Or did you have to mod the QTP cutout also?

EDIT: Read back a couple of posts and i see it looks like the cutout flange is slotted so it fit but the dump pipe was not, correct?

I also saw that it takes 5 seconds to open/close the cutout. I figured they would have that on single push to go full open or full closed. I can help come up with a simple mod to make it that way when I do mine, I can let you know the details if you'd like. My goal if I can is to make my last unused Aux button functional for the cutout. I remember seeing a thread where someone was able to mod the unused ones in the 09-12 aux panel, hoping it will work on the 13+ also.

Also bookmarked this thread, tons of great info. Thanks for positing all of it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm planning on running this exact same setup sometime so I'm curious...The QTP dump pipe didn't line up, but the QTP Cutout did line up to the Magnaflow pipe? Or did you have to mod the QTP cutout also?

EDIT: Read back a couple of posts and i see it looks like the cutout flange is slotted so it fit but the dump pipe was not, correct?

I also saw that it takes 5 seconds to open/close the cutout. I figured they would have that on single push to go full open or full closed. I can help come up with a simple mod to make it that way when I do mine, I can let you know the details if you'd like. My goal if I can is to make my last unused Aux button functional for the cutout. I remember seeing a thread where someone was able to mod the unused ones in the 09-12 aux panel, hoping it will work on the 13+ also.

Also bookmarked this thread, tons of great info. Thanks for positing all of it!

Cool man, thanks! The flange on the dump pipe would not line up with the MF cutout holes, so I originally had cut the holes on the dump pipes flange. The pipe itself fits perfect. The QTP has larger oval holes so that was not an issue. The flange on the dump pipe is a lot thinner and weaker (especially after I slotted the holes) than the MF one, so that is why I chose to cutout the MF piece to fit.

You do have to hold the switch for the 5 seconds. Others like Raceland have a one touch open/close. I like the QTPs quality better. Also, if there is ever a scenario where I need it partially open this is possible with the QTP, but not with the others like the Raceland.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This morning, while driving around enjoying the sound and feel of the open exhaust, I approached a red light with a cop sitting at it... Just the scenario I was expecting when I originally planned this mod. Hit the switch, closed the cutout and pulled up next to the cop in stealth mode, lol! :party36:

Not trying to say that I would have been pulled over had my truck been too loud... Buuuuuut you never know with these guys. I was pulled over by LAPD and given a ticket for "loud exhaust" about 10 years ago. That was in a Nissan Titan that I put a Banks Monster exhaust on.

Edit: Btw, I beat that ticket in court by having a professional sound analysis done proving that the decibels were within the legal limits (which iirc was 93 at the time).

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really need to get my order placed! Driving with just stock exhaust is killing me. The cutout sounds great!

Also do you suffer from VVS? :Big Laugh:

Lol! Yes I do... sometimes.

It sounds much better and louder than the video. My phone does not do it justice... Put it this way, I have two 12" subs with a lot of power and the deep rumble from the open exhaust pretty much cancels out all the bass with the volume at medium-loud.

Last edited:

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That makes sense, thanks!

I'm thinking... I need this thing to be quick and easy to take off and put on every year. The MF cutout is a slip on, so I will need to be able to move the exhaust back to slip it on and when it's time for inspection take it off, slip the piece of pipe back in and use the clamps.

I am wondering if I am better off getting one that will just butt up to the pipes and using butt joint band clamps, for quick and easy swap?

What's your opinion, Matt?

Like the complete QTP kit:

MDH is cut into the side of the pipe and you can remove the motor/valve assembly and simply bolt the acconmpanying 'block off' plate in place, easy peasy IMO

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking on websites for about a week now, so I will eventually purchase one, so they actually make more power, I thought they were just for sound?

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well ordered my 3''electric cutout today, after reading quite a few posts and reviews I decided that it would be worth it to install one, better sound with a little more horsepower. $120.99 from DMH motorsports with free shipping. It should sound great in combination with the Borla XS pro muffler I have on now. I have MDS turned off so there shouldn't be any drone.

Trinity 1000/Hemifever 93 octane hr custom tune
Vararam intake/power wedge
Moe's 87mm ported throttle body
180 stat
BBK shorty headers
Borla XS Pro Muffler
4:10 Gears

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well ordered my 3''electric cutout today, after reading quite a few posts and reviews I decided that it would be worth it to install one, better sound with a little more horsepower. $120.99 from DMH motorsports with free shipping. It should sound great in combination with the Borla XS pro muffler I have on now. I have MDS turned off so there shouldn't be any drone.

Trinity 1000/Hemifever 93 octane hr custom tune
Vararam intake/power wedge
Moe's 87mm ported throttle body
180 stat
BBK shorty headers
Borla XS Pro Muffler
4:10 Gears

Nice! Congrats man!!!

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! I especially like that deceleration clip...

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's so quiet ... lol. I need to get a proper clip of mine and you'll know what stupid loud can be.

I just looked at the clips again and they do not capture how loud it really is...

Put it this way, I can't do more than about 15 minutes of driving with the cutout open because of the rumble in the cap and the dBa. After the 15 minutes my ears are popping and ringing for a couple hours, lol! :baby:

I would love to hear yours, though! ;)

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was seriously thinking about installing dual exhaust cutouts to my trues dual exhaust system, I know it would sound great, but I don't install parts on my truck that don't add power. I was thinking about exhaust flow and back pressure needed to run properly. Getting the exhaust right could mean good gains in power, getting it wrong could actually cause a loss in power. For example, a 3''inch single exhaust would gain power if you went to 3.5''inches, lose power if you went to 4''inches, a 3''inch single in/ dual 2.25''inch exhaust would gain power if you went with 2.5''inch duals, and a 2.25''inch true dual system with an x-pipe would increase power if you went to a 2.5''inch but lose power if you went 3''inches all the way back. The same would go for the electric cutouts, you would be going from 2 exhaust pipes to 4 pipes which would cause a loss in power because there would be to much exhaust flow for other than an engine that is supercharged or turbo charged as they would be able to take advantage of the added flow. I love the sound of the cutouts, I have been researching them for over a month now, watched installs and videos on youtube, and recently sent emails to Matt and a couple other companies for their honest opinions. If I am wrong about the addition of the cutouts I will be installing them in the next few days, if I am right then I will have to pass on them, just my opinion guys.

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
David I had problems getting my cutout through amazon so I cancelled the order, I have since reinstalled my true dual magnaflow x-pipe muffler, the setup is 2.5'' inches, so I will instead be installing a dual set of 2.5''inch cutouts to prevent the loss of hp/tq through out the system. I am glad to here your success with your system, now I know if built right the cutouts will increase power. I will post pic and maybe a video once the project is complete.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDFJNC