exhaust set up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamVillian14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
I recently added a lift and 35's to my truck and took the obvious hit in mpg. I have a 2013 1500 crew cab 4x4 8 speed Sport fully loaded excluding the backup camera and bedcover. I was averaging a steady 18 mpg, and since I lost this, I was trying to get some back. I plan on getting the Vararam air intake and 87mm throttle body next and was curious if I need to get a different exhaust system.

I'm trying to determine this now because the body lift left my pipes handing down out of place, and I was going to get them relocated to look correctly but didn't want to pay money to do this if I potentially need to get a different exhaust system to get the most out of the air intake and throttle body. Any advice would be much appreciated and also I don't want a really loud exhaust system. Thanks.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If you don't currently have a tuner, I would go with that as your first mod. The tuner is going to show better gains (bang for buck), and will also show more of a gain in fuel mileage as well.

As for your exhaust, aside from headers, changing the rest of the exhaust is only going to show a 5-10hp gain. For this, I would just go with whichever muffler/catback setup you like and call it good.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
^what he said, regardless of which exhaust setup you get your gonna need to get the tailpipes relocated do to the BL

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't currently have a tuner, I would go with that as your first mod. The tuner is going to show better gains (bang for buck), and will also show more of a gain in fuel mileage as well.

As for your exhaust, aside from headers, changing the rest of the exhaust is only going to show a 5-10hp gain. For this, I would just go with whichever muffler/catback setup you like and call it good.

What Matt said is true man. Go with a tuner and work your way out from there.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
RamVillian14

RamVillian14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
What Matt said is true man. Go with a tuner and work your way out from there.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Ok, cool. I appreciate the help.

^what he said, regardless of which exhaust setup you get your gonna need to get the tailpipes relocated do to the BL

Yeah, I know. That's why I wanted to know if I need to get a different one. So that I wouldn't pay to get my current relocated and then be getting a another one down the road and pay additional costs to get that one installed when I could do it all at the same time. Thanks for the replies though. Any advice is welcome and appreciated it.

Gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a tuner added to mine it does great I have done anything other mods to it yet I just got it. But on my last 09 Dodge with 35's I got 18mpg with tuner, CAI and Mufflex exhaust. Which is a magnaflow muffler with the correct pipe length to just make it a quick replacement for the muffler and they have 3 different levels of sound. I was told the exhaust pipe on the trucks now a days is stainless so it was pointless to waste the money on a cat-back exhaust system. As far as bringing it up to match the bumper again (for cost) I looked up under mine and where it exits out of the muffler as it turns up there is about 6" of straight pipe before the next bend. And my thought was to make a cut in the middle of the straight pipe section and bring it back up.