Exhaust system regeneration problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbgntx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel. Last year, while spending the summer in Northeast Oregon, I started having problems with the regeneration process. The alert would come on telling me to keep driving then go to telling me filter full see dealer power reduced. Shortly before we left the area, after seeing the dealer a couple times, they replaced the catalytic converter. I had no more issues through the fall, winter and while traveling back to Oregon in the spring. A month or so after arriving things started all over again. I contacted the dealer, brought the truck in and again they replaced the converter along and did a couple of recall repairs. Within two weeks, I got another regeneration alert I drove about 100 miles and it cleared. A couple weeks later it happened again, would not clear and I'm still driving with the alert contact dealer, filter full and power reduced. The dealer and I are frustrated since we can't find a solution. I have not noticed any power reduction and my mpg has remained the same. The only difference being here in Oregon versus our other locales is we don't drive very much up here. The truck sometimes doesn't get driven for a few days. If it does, it is seldom more than 20 or 30 miles and usually at 55 or less. I don't know if that could be a contributing factor or if it is perhaps a computer error rather than mechanical. Sorry this is a little long winded but if anybody has had a similar issue, or any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
By any chance is there a non-OEM air filter, the wrong part # used or cheap replacement air filter?
This has popped up with the +'19 Cummins engine trucks, people having plugged DPF warnings, some noting the problem started after a air filter change. The +'19 Cummins uses a different air filter than prior years, doesn't seem like it should effect the DPF.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel. Last year, while spending the summer in Northeast Oregon, I started having problems with the regeneration process. The alert would come on telling me to keep driving then go to telling me filter full see dealer power reduced. Shortly before we left the area, after seeing the dealer a couple times, they replaced the catalytic converter. I had no more issues through the fall, winter and while traveling back to Oregon in the spring. A month or so after arriving things started all over again. I contacted the dealer, brought the truck in and again they replaced the converter along and did a couple of recall repairs. Within two weeks, I got another regeneration alert I drove about 100 miles and it cleared. A couple weeks later it happened again, would not clear and I'm still driving with the alert contact dealer, filter full and power reduced. The dealer and I are frustrated since we can't find a solution. I have not noticed any power reduction and my mpg has remained the same. The only difference being here in Oregon versus our other locales is we don't drive very much up here. The truck sometimes doesn't get driven for a few days. If it does, it is seldom more than 20 or 30 miles and usually at 55 or less. I don't know if that could be a contributing factor or if it is perhaps a computer error rather than mechanical. Sorry this is a little long winded but if anybody has had a similar issue, or any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.
My 2022 has sat for over 2 weeks without being driven, one thing I would do to at least once a month it to take it for a drive at 55 MPH for 30-45 minutes non stop, in my truck many times it only gets driven 4-5 miles about 2 OR 3 times a week and so far no DPF regen problems, one other thing is if you notice it's doing a regen keep ON driving it until its finishes the regen CYCLE in my truck thats about 25-30 minutes at speeds of 50 MPH or higher to get DPF up to full operating temps...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Is the fuel different in Oregon? Biodiesel? If so, what blend?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Is the fuel different in Oregon? Biodiesel? If so, what blend?
In the Portland Oregon metro area all diesel sold should contain at least 5% Bio, I hate the stuff for city driving, local... I was just up in central Washington last week and able to buy 100% #2 diesel, my truck thanked me ;)

Arty13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had that issue on my 2019 RAM 3500 and it seems the dealer installed the wrong air filter. I swapped it out for the fleetguard part and my regen issue has improved dramatically. At the same time, I also started using Archoil regularly and that appears to be helping, if not on regen, but definitely on MPG which has improved a good 10-15%!