Experience and Recommend Extended Warranties 21' Ram 6.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Don't need it yet but want to look into it now for my 5th gen 21 Ram Bighorn 2500 with zero modifications, other than a dealership paid for leveling mod to the front end.

Have any Ram 2500/3500 owners found a extended warranty service that has covered failures without a hassle?

Or have any of you found which extended warranty service companies are to be avoided?

The trouble I find is that these companies will tell you, on a phone call, when asked just exactly where is the list of everything you do cover, they'll say, "It would be easier to tell you what we don't cover", but then when I get really specific about failures, the staff is just not well enough trained to answer. They'll include statements like bumper to bumper or complete drive train.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The contract will say what is and/or isn't covered. Always read the small print. And as an fyi, I have yet to see such a thing as a bumper to bumper extended warranty.

OP
OP
RamRigger

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
The contract will say what is and/or isn't covered. Always read the small print. And as an fyi, I have yet to see such a thing as a bumper to bumper extended warranty.
When you say, the contract will say what is and/or isn't covered, that sounds like I would have to commit to the coverage before I get to see that contract. Is that correct?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You cannot extend a basic warranty (bumper-to-bumper). The closest you'll get is the Mopar MaxCare extended warranty.

I don't know anything about 3rd party warranties other than I'll never have one.

I went with a Mopar ESP because Mopar will never go out of business, the dealership files everything, the dealership is familiar with the policy, it is attached to my VIN so there's no proof required when I take the truck in, and when the work is done I pay the deductible and take my truck home. I don't have to wait for the dealership to be paid or have to pay out of pocket to get my truck back then reimbursed by the warranty company.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Unless they can offer you a bumper to bumper, no questions asked everything is covered I wouldn't waste my time personally.
It's too easy for them to say, "sorry that part is not covered" .....and it happens all the time. Warranty companies are in the business of making money just remember that.

Honestly, your only worry on that truck would be the emissions equipment so I would make sure every part, every sensor, DPF, DEF system and associated electronics are covered at a minimum.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When you say, the contract will say what is and/or isn't covered, that sounds like I would have to commit to the coverage before I get to see that contract. Is that correct?
I've always been able to read it before signing the contract. I would never sign anything before having a chance to read it. Most people don't take the time to do that, and are then surprised later when they have problems with things like leaking rear windows or the leather dash delaminating. And the extended warranty doesn't cover those.

OP
OP
RamRigger

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Unless they can offer you a bumper to bumper, no questions asked everything is covered I would waste my time personally.
It's too easy for them to say, "sorry that part is not covered" .....and it happens all the time. Warranty companies are in the business of making money just remember that.

Honestly, your only worry on that truck would be the emissions equipment so I would make sure every part, every sensor, DPF, DEF system and associated electronics are covered at a minimum.

Many thanks

OP
OP
RamRigger

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I've always been able to read it before signing the contract. I would never sign anything before having a chance to read it. Most people don't take the time to do that, and are then surprised later when they have problems with things like leaking rear windows or the leather dash delaminating. And the extended warranty doesn't cover those.
A couple of considerations I had not thought of, thanks for that. I am guilty of not reading ridiculously long fine print, done so to discourage us not to read it, like with those updates from our auto insurance carriers. But do you honestly think that 'everything' that would be covered is in those long contractual details?

OP
OP
RamRigger

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Unless they can offer you a bumper to bumper, no questions asked everything is covered I would waste my time personally.

Good thought mtnrider, and thank you

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Same here. If they won't send you the contract before committing, I'd stay away from them. Then just look in 2 sections if you don't want to read it all. "What is covered" and, more importantly, "What is NOT covered".

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A couple of considerations I had not thought of, thanks for that. I am guilty of not reading ridiculously long fine print, done so to discourage us not to read it, like with those updates from our auto insurance carriers. But do you honestly think that 'everything' that would be covered is in those long contractual details?
It has been for the contracts I've purchased. There can be a little bit of ambiguity, but for the most part it's pretty cut and dry.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
You can wait until the end of your OEM warranty before purchasing an extended
wty. That will give you some time to research. Another question, is how long
are you keeping the vehicle ? Are you working it hard, pulling a lot, or is it being
driven more like a car, etc.
Also I would be sure to ask the dealer where you do your business, they often
offer oem or outside warranty choices, make sure you talk to the service mgr.
there about their opinion.
You do know dealers receive a commission for selling a warranty. It is like
an insurance policy, they are the agent.
When I just purchased my new pickup last month, the dealer, Lithia tried selling
me on an extended wty. right then, of course I passed.
You should have seen the list of add-ons, oil changes, etc. that they sell, and
some people get suckered into it.

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You have until the 36 month point (3 years) from in-service date to get a new extended warranty. There is a price bump (penalty) for every year you don't purchase it (12 months and 24 months) and then the opportunity expires at the 3-year point. After that you can get a used extended warranty.

The new ESP takes effect from the day the truck was first purchased and the used ESP takes effect the day you purchase the policy.

That seems like you are wasting money on the new policy since it overlaps the basic (bumper-to-bumper) warranty, but if you do some comparative pricing you will find that it is cheaper to get a 6 year new extended warranty than it is to get a 3 year used extended warranty (bought the day after your basic warranty expired) which would both end at the same time.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Read through carefully what is and is not covered. For instance: When I had my 16’ Cummins, I had the 8yr 200000km extended warranty. Paid over $6k Cdn for it. The Cummins powertrain warranty past the 60000kms B2B at the time did not cover the turbo actuator itself (know failure issue) but did cover the turbo; extended warranty covered both. Up here, the actuator through the dealer was a $4k part. The actuator on mine failed at 164000kms and was replaced free through the extended warranty.

Be wary of certain expensive engine and emissions parts that may or may not be covered by whatever warranty you buy.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Another thing to be wary of is after-purchase parts. You can roll the dice if you want to argue that it didn't cause the problem. The only way to be assured coverage is to have Mopar parts installed by an authorized dealership. If you install them yourself the dealership can potentially try to hang it on your wrenching skills.

Also, if you get non-Mopar parts installed by the dealership (or buy a modified vehicle from a dealership), that specific dealership will be the one to warranty your truck against issues.

If you're curious about the Mopar MaxCare ESP here is what is/is not covered (this is for my 7 year / Unlimited Miles / $100 Deductible ESP):

Attachments

• MOPAR Max Care ESP_Redacted.pdf
    536 KB · Views: 10

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Slightly more than half of all buyers of extended warranties never use it.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
True but it's worth the peace of mind for me.

None of them are non-profits so they are out to make money. Mopar can roll any losses into higher vehicle MSRP.

I had 10 warranty visits during the basic warranty period (36K miles) and just had my second trip to the dealership under my Mopar ESP.

So far under my ESP I've gotten a new gas tank, the A/C TSB, checked torque on all suspension parts, a host of software updates, and some other small things. Total investment for all of that was $200 (in addition to the initial policy cost) so I'm pretty sure I'm already ahead overall (and I still have almost 4 years left on my policy).

I'm battling a 4WD issue (usually doesn't want to shift into 4HI or 4AUTO) that they can't reproduce. When it finally stops working that's only going to cost me $100 for them to figure it out.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Had 2021 Limited for a month and got two dents in driver's door. Fixed by paintless dent repair contractor used by dealer. Cost me $50 to "handle the paperwork", but needed the authorization for warranty vendor. Quality of work was outstanding and vendor sent me check. So far, so good.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MoPar Max Care is the only way to go if you are going to keep it. I do not believe the Lifetime is available any longer.

We have the lifetime bumper to bumper $100 deduc at present on 3 of our vehicles and on previously owned MoPar vehicles.
Our mini van has 215,000 miles on it at 14 years old. We have used the Max Care Lifetime many times, including transmission work, one head and two valve trains.

We have had to wait on parts. The closest we have come to a hassle is on our Challenger at about 75,000 miles and 8 years old. We had to wait for a, I guess factory rep, to inspect the covered repair. It took about two weeks from start to finish. But it was repaired. I really think they were checking up on the dealership to be sure it was not a bogus repair.