Experiencing issues with the heat in my 2017 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrylserconnor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Rad was replaced last year due to being in an accident. First noticed a/c was only really blowing cold on passenger side in the summer. Then as things got colder I noticed my truck was taking longer than usual to get to typical temp and the heat was only blowing barely warm at best. Flushed heater core added new stuff. Burped system. Was a little warmer. Replaced thermostat, more new coolant burped system. Still same temp. Fan speeds all work, ac works and heat still work just weak heat. The passenger side is noticeably warmer than the driver side. Disconnect battery and try replacing blend door actuator? Leaving in a couple days to go up north where it's-40c. Kinda stumped here guys and don't have alot of $$$ to toss around.
Any tips help thank you I appreciate it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
if the passenger side is get hot compared to the driver's side that been the tell-tale sign the heater core is plugged. It's been happening a bunch in the HD trucks.
I can't remember which year Ram did away with the coolant 3-way valve that directs coolant to the transmission cooler when cab heat is not needed. It's supposed to throw a code if it malfunctions but that's not always the case.

chavasaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
turbo diesel
Good morning,
i have a 2017 ram 3500 turbo diesel, this week i noticed there was minimum heat coming out of my heater (winter just arrived) ...so i checked for what could be wrong....blower motor, coolant level, leaks, none of those are the issue, got a coolant flush (pressure was checked in the system and came back normal) and im still experiencing no heat in my truck..... my truck isnt overheatin, my heater core seems to be fine since i have no coolant smell in my cab or wet spots in my passenger side.....sooo WTF.... does anyone have any possible idea of what may be wrong. Thank you everyone!

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just because you don't smell coolant nor see wet spots doesn't mean there's not a problem with the core. It just means it isn't leaking. It's likely plugged. Pop off the two heater core hoses and backflush (push water in through the outlet and out of the inlet) for about 30 minutes or so. There are tons of thread on heater core flushes on here.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a diesel, I would hit the outlet water neck (engine side) which goes to the top of the radiator with an IR temp gun (engine full hot right after driving) to ensure the truck is operating at the right temp first. Just to rule that out ..regardless what the gauge says. They can tend to run cool, and on diesel's I've had, even at 165*F engine temps, I wouldn't get much heat when it got cold outside. But fix the t-stat issue and get it closer to 190 and boom, good heat. So it's worth looking into for the little time it takes.

Then while you're at it, see if you can get a temp measurement on the inlet/outlet heater hoses to the heater core (engine warm/hot ...heater on). If they're cooler than engine temp ...more than a few degrees, could be a plugged heater core, or partially plugged H/C. Might be, a good backflush will clear it up. I've back-flushed heater cores (ram a garden hose to the H/C outlet hose) and a good amount of crud has come out. So have a lot of guys here. Often that's all a guy needs to do.

If your tk's engine & H/C hose temps look good and the hoses are real hot, a guy should make sure the blend door actuators are operating properly. Here, a really good scan tool makes a difference. Ya can even run them through a 'test procedure' with a good scan tool or (I think) AlfaOBD software. Then if there's a faulty door actuator (and they do fail) ...you can replace that one. But seeing how you're leaving right away, check temps and maybe buy a spare actuator and swap it around and see if you get heat. There are only a couple so it won't take you that long. There are plenty of Y/T videos on it.

The worst case scenarios are a broken blend door rod or leaking heater core. But most times its the items I listed above. Best of luck. Drive safe on your trip!

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A failing head gasket can also affect heat too. If you hear gurgling in the AM when you first start your truck, that's kind of a telletale sign. Another telletale is an upper radiator hose puffed up rock-hard ...or like a blimp! Most likely it's not your issue, but worth looking into. Sometimes when a H/G is failing you actually get amazing heat! But it can go both ways. It only takes a couple seconds to feel the radiator hose when the vehicle is hot, and look under the oil fill cap (or milkiness) too. Diesels have real high compression, and head gaskets can literally fail (delaminate) for no reason, so ...hey, part of the troubleshooting process is to look at all possibilities.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited: