Extended Travel CV Axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Afternoon,

Have a 2011 Ram 1500 leveled with Bilstein's. Have heard extended travel CVs mentioned before when leveling and should have already looked into putting those on as I have chewed through a couple sets of CV Axles. Have also heard people mention heavy duty axles. Looking to purchase some new axles but wanting to make sure I am getting the correct ones. Rockauto list the trakmotive ones as a fit for my vehicle but want to make sure those are correct for only a leveled truck and not meant for a higher lift? Let me know your thoughts.

Trakmotive Extended Travel

Cardone Heavy Duty

Any help is appreciated.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trackmotive CVs are dog**** trash, research them !

OP
OP
V

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen people say that but I am not trying to spend too much money honestly. My truck is a 2011 with 180K, and rusting so not really worth a ton. Just need something affordable to get by and not pop every time I back up/turn or wear my tires out quickly. Are the heavy duty Cardones a better option? Will they have the same angle/length issue I am already having? Any other affordable options?

osprey ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
09 1500 4x4
Engine
4.7 lit.
I am also looking. Detroit axle seems to be the only one not made in china. Do not heard much about em.

OP
OP
V

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the info is literally 3 thread down if you took time to look. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/extended-cvs-when-using-a-diff-drop.206975/

Maybe I did take the time to look at that thread and what info is there that tells me everything?

That thread is a guy with a 4 inch RC lift and a dropped diff and then post about a Jeep. while we are having similar issues with the popping, I am only leveled with Bilsteins and wondering if Extended CV axles or Cardone Heavy Duty axles will help my situation at all or if anyone has used those and had success. My CV axles need to be replaced and I don't plan on replacing them with stock ones again even if the other options aren't the greatest either. If I replace those and am still having issues then I will go from there.

There is a post about a spacer that will fit over a axle spins but that is the first I have ever heard of that.

One post about the washer being installed wrong on the Bilsteins could cause a popping.

Then there are post saying it could be a stabilizer link or ball joint or any other front end part which doesn't necessarily help. Then one last post about your track bar and drag link being parallel.

Outside of hearing about that spacer for the first time, I am not sure which part of that info assist me when discussing whether anyone has had success with extended CV Axels or if Cardone heavy duty axles would be a better choice(have read threads about those).

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trakmotive extended ones are going on mine tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes! As far as long term durability, probably depends solely on your use of your truck.. I'm 99% on road so don't anticipate flexing them much.. if I used my truck more offroad then coughing up a bit more $$ for something better might have made more sense.

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new axles didn't fix my clunk, but I'm glad it can safely go through full articulation without one popping off now. I have a Rough Country 4" lift and the more I learn about it the more I realize how much it messes up the front diff/axle geometry, even with it being dropped. As far as aftermarket CV's go, I've also learned that there really aren't any great options out there. It seems the mopar ones last the longest, and aside from Cardone, everyone else just repackages Trakmotives (napa, etc) and sells them as their own, but ultimately theyre all the same.