Public Service Announcement - Cardone CV Axels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BAD PARTS WARNING - TLDR Cardone parts are cheap Chinese junk for the past 5 years per reputable mechanic as experienced with my own personal failure after 6 months of road use.

Long version:
About 6 months ago I put in my fox 2.5 coilovers on my 6 inch bds lifted 2015 and while I was down there, I replaced everything else in the front suspension since the truck had about 120k miles.

I recently developed a loud pop in the front end while reversing out of my inclined driveway with the wheel turned. It'll happen at times when driving forward out of the driveway with the wheel fully turned when the front wheels hit the road too.

Since I suck at diagnosis, I took it to the local, rural automotive and diesel repair mechanic and told them I just replaced everything in the front and I just wanted them to diagnose since I would replace any part as it should all still be under warranty. They informed me they couldn't get it to pop on the test drive, but did hear some noise in the driver side cv axel while they were underneath. They also said the passenger side wheel bearing was going bad and the passenger side cv axel would probably soon follow. They were as shocked as I that these parts were going bad so soon especially since I've done no offroading yet to test the fox coilovers. When I told him the cv axels were Cardone HD, he said that Cardone has been Chinese junk for 5 or so years. The wheel hubs and bearing assemblies I replaced with Mevotech Heavy Duty TTX, which he had no input on.

My original thought was to just get free warranty replacement parts through rockauto, but after getting home, I took a look at the cv axels. Sure enough the shaft on the driver side has grease all over it and the passenger side shaft has grease starting to migrate from the boot side. Both boots are intact.

I called up the mechanic since I am now questioning replacing these parts with the same ones as I don't want to have to go through it again in 6 months. I asked for a recommendation and he said he usually uses acdelco or moog for cv axels. He was also shocked to find an extended travel set for lifted trucks and gave me a part number of 16065N from autozone, which is a duralast gold. These suckers are $200 a piece more expensive than the Cardone HD at $277 pre tax. Does anyone have any experience with these or other recommendations? The thought of extended travel sounds nice, but not completely necessary. However, I do like that the shaft of these is skinnier near the hub where it could contact the lower end of the fox coilovers. The current Cardone HD cv axels barely have clearance in this area.

I've got a fishing trip coming up in three weeks and need to get on replacing all these parts. Any input is always appreciated.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not surprised to hear that. I quit using cheap stuff a long time ago. Installing cheap import parts is often worse than leaving factory parts with 150k miles on them. I would buy Mopar myself.

Moog, and AC Delco and a few others are generally pretty good aftermarket. But warning: they both hve 'economy lines' which are import parts, to compete against import proucts. And they also have 'Professional lines' of products which are great and often USA/Mexico/Canada-made parts. And the prices reflect that. Stick to the professional lines as much as you can for hard parts. I would stick to Mopar OEM grade bearing/hub assemblies myself. It'll cost more but quality isn't cheap unfortunately. And neither is your time.

__

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My stock cv axles have held up fine on my truck surprisingly. Even without a front sway bar. Granted I don’t get to off-road as much as I’d like.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What do your CV angles look like? Not saying Cadone is good or bad but if your truck has steep CV angles that will increase the stress on the CV joints.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm Running cardone hd in my truck and it's literally the only axle that would hold up to My 6.4 swap that didn't cost $800 a side. Probly depends what you get.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do your CV angles look like? Not saying Cadone is good or bad but if your truck has steep CV angles that will increase the stress on the CV joints.
20230824_171059.jpg

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm Running cardone hd in my truck and it's literally the only axle that would hold up to My 6.4 swap that didn't cost $800 a side. Probly depends what you get.
I'm wondering if it's perhaps a by product of covid and if I should try another set but both sides going bad has me weary.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Good catch. Yeah, a lift kit adds extra wear.

OP, those CV angles are pretty steep. Probably why yours didn't last long. Kind of the nature of the (lifted) beast.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good catch. Yeah, a lift kit adds extra wear.

OP, those CV angles are pretty steep. Probably why yours didn't last long. Kind of the nature of the (lifted) beast.
Honestly those look a bit steeper than I recall. I could have sworn I checked the cv angles after install and they looked pretty good

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The way they got more cv angle on those POS trackmotive was buy thinning out the cv cage inside the cup... Idiots... lol...

Limiting Straps are the only thing that helped my CVs survive a bit longer.

pNYC360guDgCIYqZhZ61GHI=w1698-h955-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ian didn't have much luck with the extended travel and went back to the Cardone HD's. I have a set of each NIB and am debating which to go with when I install the new lift lol
Yeah, looking at pictures, I'm wondering if the autozone ones are the same as the trackmotive. I ordered the extended ones from autozone since I found a 20% off code and I can easily return them. We will see what they look like when they arrive tomorrow.

The way they got more cv angle on those POS trackmotive was buy thinning out the cv cage inside the cup... Idiots... lol...

Limiting Straps are the only thing that helped my CVs survive a bit longer.

View attachment 527153

I haven't done any offroading though, so I wouldn't expect them to go bad so quick.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got the duralast extended travel cv axels. Looks like they're the trakmotive ones rebranded for autozone based on the CH-8256XTT. Bummer, Chinese junk as well. I'm really torn, I may just put these in and carry around the Cardone HD as backup incase I have issues far from home on my fishing trip.

Attachments

• 20230826_152709.jpg
    20230826_152709.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Looks like Napa Premium CV axles are also TrakMotive. The phone number for warranty / tech support is for TrakMotive. Check the warranty info for axles you are considering to see who really makes them. The Napa site did not say who was making their axles. I Googled the Napa warranty phone number and it lead to TrakMotive. There are basically 3 manufacturers of CV axles for the US market, Cardone, TrakMotive and GSP. None of them appear to have stellar reputations.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like Napa Premium CV axles are also TrakMotive. The phone number for warranty / tech support is for TrakMotive. Check the warranty info for axles you are considering to see who really makes them. The Napa site did not say who was making their axles. I Googled the Napa warranty phone number and it lead to TrakMotive. There are basically 3 manufacturers of CV axles for the US market, Cardone, TrakMotive and GSP. None of them appear to have stellar reputations.
I'll confirm about Napa on Monday. I actually just ordered those since I could get them $45 cheaper and get $20 in rewards

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll confirm about Napa on Monday. I actually just ordered those since I could get them $45 cheaper and get $20 in rewards
Try these folks, I.ve purchased from them with great results.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can confirm Napa also is the trakmotive in their own branded box.20230828_151939.jpg

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After taking the Cardone HD out yesterday, I noticed it was rubbing into my fox coilover quite a bit, so I decided to throw in the traxmotive xtt. There was also grease all over the LCA and lower coilover tower from the cv axel. Clearance is much better. Haven't gotten to the passenger side yet. Also got the Rick rood kit as well. The little bootie on the driver side was a pita. I could only get it to work by putting it on the cv axel first and had to work quick as it would shoot off.
20230905_195728.jpg

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Passenger side coilover looks dug into a bit worse. Anybody else have these issues with the fox 2.5? 20230906_175715.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat