Extended warranty suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my situation didn't when I bought my raptor new for a few reasons. I believe you get what you pay for and I knew I would have a reliable truck. If something came up later after my 36k ran out I knew I would have the cash to pay for whatever happened. Also, its a raptor and I used it for what it was made for so it got beat on pretty good and I knew maintenance would cost me cash anyways with shocks, wheel bearings, tires ect. But I always told myself I wouldn't buy new again if I could find a solid used truck. I saved up a yrs worth of payments after I payed my raptor off and socked it away for a downpayment and/or an emergency fund for my vehicle for unexpected repairs like I had before. So when I bought this laramie with 22k on it I bought the 5yr/75k extended warranty because I had the cash with money to spare. Plus by the time the warranty runs out around 100k I'll have the truck paid off. To each there own but anything can happen with new or used but you never truly know how well the previous owner treated it.

Last edited:

Drew512

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I purchased the maxcare lifetime for my wife's grand Cherokee and my ram. I had a first hand account of a co-workers jeep grand Cherokee overland hemi blowing up just passed the 100k warranty he had on it. The dealer replaced the engine under the warranty anyway.

My brother in law had the screen go out on a grand Cherokee 8.4 and it was covered when the bill would have been about 3k.

From those 2 experiences, it seemed worth it to me.

I price shopped from a few sites, found the lowest price and in each case the dealer I bought from matched the price. I do remember chryslerwarranties.com being one of the cheaper dealers to sell the maxcare.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the lifetime warranty, there was a thread on here not to long ago where a guy needed a new engine. They made him agree to tear down cost Incase they found neglect on his end (which is stated in their contract). In the end they found no neglect and replaced the engine no cost to him.

Here’s a thought, most people don’t talk about things when there good. Usually only when there bad. I haven’t heard really any horror stories about this warranty, so I bought it.

My under standing of normal wear and tear are items that are stated in your manual as having a Service life. If the item does not have a service life, then it could be argued that it failed....

It also states that it does not cover brakes and I believe clutches for manual transmissions. Honesty, as long as it would cover the engine,differential,transmission and the ungodly amounts of technology in this thing it will pay for its self.

Good luck on your decision, :).
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB-Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Does anyone have any actual experience USING the Mopar Lifetime Warranty from FCA?
Some of the earlier Gen4 owners (2009-2010) maybe? It would help shed light on the contract verbage interpretation by the dealer's service centers and Mopar.

I've used extended warranties on two of my previous vehicles (7/100) and in both cases they more than paid for themselves. Replacing an AC compressor can easily run $2500 or more.
These extended warranties are usually suited for folks who keep their vehicles 7 or more years.

I recently purchased a 2018 RAM 2500 and decided to go with the Lifetime mostly because of all the electronics, relays, servos, motors, etc... as I plan on keeping the vehicle for 10-15 years.
What is unclear on the lifetime is for example after 10 years, will they claim "normal wear and tear" versus "manufacturing defect". Hence it would be great to hear from someone who has gone thru a claim after many years of vehicle service.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Does anyone have any actual experience USING the Mopar Lifetime Warranty from FCA?
Some of the earlier Gen4 owners (2009-2010) maybe? It would help shed light on the contract verbage interpretation by the dealer's service centers and Mopar.

I've used extended warranties on two of my previous vehicles (7/100) and in both cases they more than paid for themselves. Replacing an AC compressor can easily run $2500 or more.
These extended warranties are usually suited for folks who keep their vehicles 7 or more years.

I recently purchased a 2018 RAM 2500 and decided to go with the Lifetime mostly because of all the electronics, relays, servos, motors, etc... as I plan on keeping the vehicle for 10-15 years.
What is unclear on the lifetime is for example after 10 years, will they claim "normal wear and tear" versus "manufacturing defect". Hence it would be great to hear from someone who has gone thru a claim after many years of vehicle service.

That is a great question! Lifetime must have its limits right? What’s the cut off for defect and parts failing naturally?

I got the extended on my 3/60 to 5/100000. I may purchase aftermarket as I plan on driving her till the wheels fall off

Again, those are great questions and points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lifetime is exactly that, Lifetime. Yours. Anything that is/was covered in the original 5/50 or 6/60 or whatever the OEM warranty was, is covered by the Lifetime Warranty. Too many Monday morning QB's sticking in their paranoid perspectives. A vehicle that has proven to be maintained properly and has a failure will get covered with whatever the deductible rate is. This is the reason I spent the money on the warranty. I have zero plans on replacing my RAM at my age since my two previous trucks stuck with me for 11 and 15 years respectively. Not that I drove huge distances, but I kept them. This one will be with me until my last days of driving and the registration as well as the warranty are in both my wife's and my names so death is not a "gotcha" clause. I am fully aware that there are electronic parts in todays vehicles that are multiple thousands of dollars to replace. One failure of an item of that level and I'm even, a second failure and I'm ahead. And I'm not even going into mechanical items like engines and transmissions. The Mopar warranty is as good as FCA, for better or for worse. I feel my odds of them being around are better than the "Acme Lifetime Warranty Company" being around when I need them, or even being there for me even if they are!

Drew512

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A few things to add on the lifetime:

It becomes void when the repair minus the deductible costs more than the vehicle is worth. Meaning if the truck is worth 3k and needs an engine that costs 5k, they're not going to replace the engine. That said, these trucks should hold their value long enough that it shouldn't be a problem to replace an engine in a 10 year old truck with 150k miles.

It is pro rated the same as a 7/100 in that if you were to sell the truck, you would get a warranty refund in the amount you paid for the warranty minus the time you owned the warranty. I'm sure there's a better way to say that last part but words are escaping me at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few things to add on the lifetime:

It becomes void when the repair minus the deductible costs more than the vehicle is worth. Meaning if the truck is worth 3k and needs an engine that costs 5k, they're not going to replace the engine.[...]
That is true, AND, they will pay you the 3k the truck is worth at the time instead of replacing the motor.

I just made my "lifetime commitment" and purchased the lifetime/unlimited mileage Service Contract. I'm glad I did - it was one of those things that would keep nagging at me if I didn't. I'm confident I did the right thing and if I have my truck 10, 12, or 15 years and never use it - that's fine too. At least I'll sleep better knowing I'm covered down the road if anything major (and minor) goes up and can get it repaired at the dealer, with OEM parts, without having to worry about paying dealer service costs to do it...

I love my Ram.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would suggest Clay Robbins @ Robbins Motors in Manhattan, Ks. I got mine through him as have a lot of people on this forum. Very easy guy to work with. (785) 537-0357

I went through Clay for two vehicles. He is great to deal with and good pricing too.

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got quotes from 3 guys, all of which I found on this thread. I ended up buying from Tom Winkels at Hayes Jeep; was 100+ dollars cheaper than the others, including Clay. Easy to work with, sent my hard copy right out.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tend to keep vehicles a looooong time. Drove my last Ram 15+ years. I had a Chrysler warranty on that truck and it paid for itself. My 2017 has even more electronics on it. I didn't want to take a chance, so I bought a lifetime MaximumCare from ChryslerFactoryPlans.com (aka Zeigler Auto Group). This truck has only been in service for a few weeks with only 1,400 miles, so I obviously haven't used the warranty yet.

epenn012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Attached is a "Lifetime Maximum Care" I placed on my wife's Durango.

This one was purchased through Zeigler around November 2014. They offered payments spread over 12 months. No sales tax was involved at the time due to this being an out of state purchase. It is something to check into; especially if your tax laws have changed.

Ironically, I purchased the Durango at Schramm Dodge in Manhattan, KS. I think this is now Robbins Motors where Cody works at. I have dealt with them personally and they are great people; no pressure. When I purchased the vehicle, the salesperson handled the sales and F&I.

Attachments

• Extended Warranty 2014.PDF
    830.1 KB · Views: 7