Extended Warranty thru dealer or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Looking at a 2016 SLT Hemi, 68000 miles for $22500. Here is the issue with it, it spent one year in Quebec before coming to the states, everything under the hood that is aluminum has that grungy gonna corrode look about it like the rims on my wife’s 16 year old Jeep Liberty. Even seen a ground cable on top of the right bank the metal tab the bolt goes thru is a little rusty. I already have a rust bucket thats paid for.

So here is the question, can a extended warranty be bought privately for cheaper than the dealer? Dealer is talking $4500 for a 5 year/75000 mile extended warranty that basically covers everything but standard wear items, brake pads, rotors etc, also covers electrical. Called EnduranceWarranty Co. and they’re talking $4800 for basically the same warranty. Any companies out there more reasonable?

Would a extended warranty that only covers big ticket items like engine, transmission, transfer case, etc be worth it or with the amount of electronics in em one that covers drivetrain plus electrical be a wiser move?

If I could get em down to an even 20K and I’ll buy the warranty I can do a lot of cleaning up under the hood and what not for $2500. Buy a five gallon bucket of Fluid Film for starters.

Other option is to drive almost four hours and take a look at a 2019 SLT lease return that was only seen in Michigan twice and was mostly Kentucky and Oklahoma for $26500 and not worry about an extended warranty for awhile as it still has a factory warranty left.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long are you planning to keep it and how many miles do you average per year? My Ram was garage kept, never used as a truck, and had a great service history. I opted for a 4 year 48k mile powertrain warranty that cost me $2100. That's a lot less than the cost of an engine or tranny.

My warranty is transferable which adds to the value and makes the Ram more marketable if I decide to sell it.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're willing to pay $4500 for something that might break?

I have a bridge for sale.

I find it hard to believe that you have to drive 4 hours to find a decent used truck.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You're willing to pay $4500 for something that might break?

I have a bridge for sale.

I find it hard to believe that you have to drive 4 hours to find a decent used truck.

Well…I’m fifty and farmed for most of those years, when I say I’m tired of fixing stuff that would be the understatement of the century. Both knees are shot to the point my ortho guy said no more repairs as replacements are needed, the right shoulder will also need replaced someday and the lower back is a screaming hot mess from a car accident, I have ZERO desire to add working on a truck to the list of things to do, tractors are so much easier, hardly ever have to get under them and can stand there and work.

I also sell and install outside wood boilers (OWB) in my ‘spare’ time. First half of the year was deader than a doornail after the Kung Flu hit. Now the phone is ringing and I have boilers to install in three states by time I’m done.

Old truck has had it and the tranny is acting up, again. AC has a leak in the condenser, the heat sucks and its about time to go thru the front end, again. 310,000 miles I’ve got my money out of it. Twice actually, I was driving it when I got rear ended and the guys insurance company gave me what I paid two years earlier for it and let me keep it and a clean title on it. A friend works at a place that just installed a frame machine after the accident so we spent a Saturday playing with his new toy, once the rear leaf springs were out of a bind and the tailgate actually shut we quit messing with it.

I’m also rather particular to what I buy, has to have the 6’ bed, the shorter one is worthless for hauling 300 foot rolls of insulated underground pipe. Don’t like riding in the smaller backseats of a truck with a 6’ box then walk, not my problem. Going from a 5.9 Cummins and feel the V6 would be under whelming at best so looking for the 5.7. Absolutely will not ever in this lifetime own another white, black, or green vehicle, ever. After a few test drives also sold on the 8 speed instead of a 6 speed. Must have handsfree for the cellphone, I’ve done as much business driving to a job or estimate as I have from the office phone.

So…everything local and cheap, or relatively so already has 120K to 150K miles on em, showing rust or outright holes in em, a six speed, the wrong engine or the dreaded colors that must not be mentioned again.

Get into the 2016 and newer and out of 14 trucks on Autotrader that were close, 12 were from Quebec, our stoves are manufactured in Winkler Manitoba and they won’t even buy a vehicle from Quebec, literal salt bath for 5-6 months every winter. Think Buffalo New York. The one I looked at today spent its first winter in Quebec then ended up in Michigan, the receiver was so rusted up I doubt a hitch would slide in without some persuasion from a sledge hammer.

Also been trying to avoid vehicles that already have the factory trailer hitch, no reese hitch, most likely didn’t use it to drag a camper all over creation.

And yes I agree, $4500 is stupid expensive. We bought the extended warranty on the wife's Jeep Liberty in 2010 and more than got our money back but it also cost like a quarter of that $4500.

However, last gas motor I owned was a old school 318 complete with a carburetor, so how the Hemi’s hold up, how the 8 speeds hold up and all the electronic stuff is greek to me. I don’t have spare parts laying around for the new stuff like I did for the original small block Mopar nor boxes of spare tranny parts not to mention a rear end or two in the weeds. I do however have enough Waukesha and Cat parts in one barn or another to build several of each engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Sorry the last got so long.

Ive been driving stuff till it dies while keeping the wife in something reliable. Farming sucks and has for the last 5-6 years or better. However the boiler business is doing well enough it can pay for a better truck and I’ll keep the cummins for cutting firewood or what not. All these newer trucks are too pretty to be chucking firewood at.

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I bought a used durango with 18,000 miles. I bought the lifetime/unlimited thru mopar maxicare direct on their website. It was one of the best moves made seeing I have had well over $5,000 in repairs in 3 years all being covered. And, honestly I could care less how many times they have to fix it, I like the car...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it's an SLT, it was most likely a rental at one point. Not to say they don't exist, but I've never seen an SLT otherwise.

FWIW, I own one. A 2019 Ram 1500 SLT crew cab 4x4, hemi. I bought it from Enterprise car sales in July with 14500mi on it for $27900+TTL. Problem now is, that same truck with ~30-40K miles on it is over $30K now because used truck pricing is INSANE as you've found.

In terms of the warranty. $4500 is too much IMO. The ones Enterprise wanted to sell me were like $1800-3000 (could use them anywhere). I've never had an issue with an aftermarket warranty, but I don't buy them every time. I wouldn't pay more than $3K max for one and that's only if you plan to keep the truck for years and won't be out of miles too quickly.

You're right on the ~6ft bed. I regret going smaller. My new to me 2019 has the ~5.7 bed and I wish I had stuck with the ~6' my previous Ram quad cab had.

Imma be fiddy in another month or so and I hear ya on the failing body parts and work schedule! LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You're right on the ~6ft bed. I regret going smaller. My new to me 2019 has the ~5.7 bed and I wish I had stuck with the ~6' my previous Ram quad cab had.

Imma be fiddy in another month or so and I hear ya on the failing body parts and work schedule! LOL

On my Cummins I have a aluminum toolbox and a 250’ roll of underground hung over the sides a bit and over the tailgate, thinking of building a rack that drops into the stake pockets so its a little more secure. Have never lost a roll or had one shift, but it takes a step ladder to get in and out of the bed while strapping it down.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I bought a used durango with 18,000 miles. I bought the lifetime/unlimited thru mopar maxicare direct on their website. It was one of the best moves made seeing I have had well over $5,000 in repairs in 3 years all being covered. And, honestly I could care less how many times they have to fix it, I like the car...

Sad that vehicles today are such pieces of ****, that one could fathom a 3-5 thousand dollar additional expense for warranty to be a "good deal".

Extended warranties are, pure and simple, an insurance policy. The actuaries who sit in cubicles in ivory towers aren't stupid. They calculate risk/loss ratios all day long and put prices and coverages in play to benefit them, not you. The occasional guy who lauds all over their extended warranty because he/she spent 3 grand on the policy and had to have 8 grand in repairs evokes poignant emotions, no doubt, but in the grand scheme, he is the minority. It's a numbers game.

The "Id/ego" centric nature people is what make insurance companies rich and keeps us peons working til the grave.

OP posed a powerful argument that he have abused his body to the point that having his truck fixed by someone else makes better sense. That can't be argued away.

Everyone should find a highly talented, skilled, work ethic driven mechanic and do it sooner rather than later.

I'd recommend anyone get prices on MAX Care at different levels of coverage limits. I process extended warranties for my customers. MAX Care has been one of the best and easiest for me to deal with here.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
OP posed a powerful argument that he have abused his body to the point that having his truck fixed by someone else makes better sense. That can't be argued away.

Wish I’d listened when grandfather always said “you’re gonna pay for that later” when I’d jump off equipment etc.

Years of racing dirt bikes probably did the knees absolutely zero favors.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wish I’d listened when grandfather always said “you’re gonna pay for that late.

Years of racing dirt bikes probably did the knees absolutely zero favors.

A very good friend of mine had his shoulder replaced after 30+ years of suffering AFTER he quit the dirt bike racing circuit!

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'd recommend anyone get prices on MAX Care at different levels of coverage limits. I process extended warranties for my customers. MAX Care has been one of the best and easiest for me to deal with here.

Do you have to purchase your vehicle thru Car Max to qualify for it or can you add it at any dealer?

From weeks of lurking the web vehicles listed on CarMax seem to run high compared to AutoTrader.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have to purchase your vehicle thru Car Max to qualify for it or can you add it at any dealer?

From weeks of lurking the web vehicles listed on CarMax seem to run high compared to AutoTrader.

I don't know how prices compare..... I'm keenly aware of the lower rung warranty companies who try to send me junk yard parts. Then, there are the companies who want to screw me out of my livelihood by sending me some rebuilt component by God knows who. This would save them money and deprive me of my parts mark up all the while putting you and your car at risk by using a part of unknown origin. In Texas, my liability remains the same regardless of the part's origin, and that liability cannot be transferred from me to anyone else.

On top of that, there are a few companies who chingle the labor cost to repair, or want to limit my markup on parts. They don't run my business nor have a clue what it takes to remain open in my case. Again, they seek for themselves, NOT me or you.

Call Max Care... they will tell you all the info you need or want.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Call Max Care... they will tell you all the info you need or want.

I found a line in the FAQ sections in MaxCare that specifically mentioned “you’re CarMax bought car” so I’m guessing MaxCare is strictly a service that Carmax offers for cars they sell.

I called about a different Ram, Same year, slightly more miles but never been in Canada or very far north, they offer a warranty from ASC? ACS? Anyways about half the price of the $4500 one.

I can do brakes yet, suspension work, etc but am not laying under a vehicle to change a transmission or transfer case. Also had a vertebrae rotated out of position in my neck from that accident and laying flat on my back is very painful in a very short time.

I used to race Hare Scrambles and Enduro’s, the right shoulder has biffed many a tree.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
mlappin, MAXIMUM care is a mopar/FCA product/service. I think if you google "MAXcare", it comes up as a carmax product.

I'm not sure how any of it would price out for a ~5y/old Ram with 60-70K miles on it, but you can buy anything for anything these days.

To elaborate on aftermarket warranties I've purchased over the years, the ones I bought were through the mega-dealership chain I was buying the vehicle from. The dealership and service folks like working with these companies and didn't have issues with them, thus the reason they pushed a particular company.

They were zero deductible provided you used any of the local dealer chain's dealerships and $100 outside of them.

Would I buy some random contract thru a small lot or fly by night operation? No. Who would.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having dealt with manufacturer extended warranties and aftermarket ones i strongly suggest a manufacturers one if you can afford it. I presently have neither on my 18' but have used both on past vehicles. The aftermarket companies are often headaches. They tell you they cover almost everything but it always seems they never cover what you need. I had 2008 Elantra i had an aftermarket warranty on. Was riding like crap. Looked underneath and saw a strut leaking. Warranty says they cover it. Cool. Bring it to my local shop. They agree, bad strut. Call the warranty company. They want pictures of the leaking strut. Then they want to send an adjuster out. So now it's a day and half with zero work being done. Finally they agree to it but refuse to use factory parts so i have two different brands of struts and the car was worse.

Then i had a Subaru Crosstrek with a bad wheel bearing. Bring it to a shop to have it looked it. "Good news, they will cover the wheel bearing repair, but it's a $500 deductible unless you bring the car back to where you bought it". Great. So i call the Cadillac dealer where i bought it. "Sure, we can fix that and no deductible. But we are booked solid for the next 8 days".

Alot of the aftermarket warranty companies have weird terms. They make you jump through hoops, only allow cheap parts, crazy deductibles, etc.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

No, you don't have to purchase the vehicle from CarMax. I do work on one Ford product that the customer got from his elderly mother and he bought the warranty.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sad that vehicles today are such pieces of ****, that one could fathom a 3-5 thousand dollar additional expense for warranty to be a "good deal".

Extended warranties are, pure and simple, an insurance policy. The actuaries who sit in cubicles in ivory towers aren't stupid. They calculate risk/loss ratios all day long and put prices and coverages in play to benefit them, not you. The occasional guy who lauds all over their extended warranty because he/she spent 3 grand on the policy and had to have 8 grand in repairs evokes poignant emotions, no doubt, but in the grand scheme, he is the minority. It's a numbers game.

The "Id/ego" centric nature people is what make insurance companies rich and keeps us peons working til the grave.

Everyone should find a highly talented, skilled, work ethic driven mechanic and do it sooner rather than later.

Cars today overall are much better than when we were kids. Back then it was common for a car with 100000 miles to have an engine in need of major repair and the transmission needed rebuilding if it wasn't already not to mention rotted out floor boards.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cars today overall are much better than when we were kids. Back then it was common for a car with 100000 miles to have an engine in need of major repair and the transmission needed rebuilding if it wasn't already not to mention rotted out floor boards.

Maybe so.... but the fuggin cars didn't cost as much as a house! The insurance companies hadn't invented yet another "Chicken Little" ploy to instill fear to manipulate a pile of MORE money out of consumers for "protection", and, frankly it cost way less to repair cars back then.

I remember the early days of extended warranties. You'd pay the premium, get the coverage, and be told that used car you just bought wouldn't be covered for 45 days. That, my man, was illegal insurance business practice here in Texas! They took your money.... they must cover (in Texas)! A class action lawsuit drove many ext warranties into receivership.... GE Capital bought up many of them, thus preserving the policies.

Before the lawsuit, I'd tear down a transmission and wait for the adjuster to come evaluate the damages.... It was an insurance company adjuster! He/She would dream up a plethora of excuses NOT to cover the problem, and deny the claim. I witnessed many pissed off customers who'd just bought a used car and extended policy get shafted and literally scream at the top of their lungs at the used car manager at the dealer I worked for.... it was sad.

After the lawsuit, they seldom refused coverage... but they still did, occasionally.

I read the different opinions here and respect the differences. I personally and professionally do not recommend them to customers who inquire about it. I counsel them to put that amount of money in a savings account and add a few bucks every payday. In the BIG picture, with PROPER and TIMELY maintenance by a COMPETENT and DILIGENT shop/mechanic, the failures which the policies usually cover almost never occur.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So…looking at several Big Horns, according to CarFax or Autocheck a few never had the drivetrain module reprogrammed, would this cause additional wear or damage to the transmission?