Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory Stereo Options or Upgrades 2003 ST Trim

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Blue Truck, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Blue Truck

Blue Truck Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    No Spark Plugs
    Don't really care about fancy stuff, but I'd love to be able to play mp3 files from an Ipod or old phone. My preference is a stock stereo, as I love the large, simple buttons and graphics. I don't want/need some aftermarket unit with buttons the side of a ballpoint pent tip that do 18 different things. Currently, I have an aftermarket stereo with no input capability. I've seen a couple of converted factory stereos with either an input jack (headphone type) or bluetooth capability.

What are some pros/cons of these? Is there an aftermarket unit that would fit my basic criteria? What would it take to add an input (USB or headphone jack) to a stock CD stereo? I'm open to options beyond what I'm asking as well.

Any thoughts & recommendations would be appreciated!

2. HemiLonestar

HemiLonestar Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    So I originally put an RAH code single CD player (also plays MP3 CD's) in back in the day:

[​IMG]

Then because it was SAT radio capable I figured out how to adapt that with this:

[​IMG]

Plugs into the back, then uses an RCA to headphone jack adapter. I liked it better than using an FM transmitter. Both are available (if you're interested), if your stock head unit is SAT capable then you only need the one, if not you'd need this head unit too.

3. Blue Truck

Blue Truck Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    No Spark Plugs
    Thank you for the reply HemiLonestar! I read it right after you posted, but I needed some time to look at it in detail. While not quite at the Fisher Price car audio technical knowledge level, it's definitely not my strong suit. Did some Googling, and it looks like that Terk unit is discontinued now.

That said, a little more Googling brought this up:
    https://www.jegs.com/i/A&A/010/6380...MI7brrsIek6wIVdSCtBh22YQnvEAQYASABEgIYn_D_BwE
    Amazon seller (looks like the same thing):
    https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Chrysler-02-07-Radio-Player/dp/B0196TR9V8
    It's a factory stereo with an auxiliary headphone jack added. What's your opinion on going this route? I know it won't have the USB charging capability while listening, but I can at least use the charge cable while listening through the headphone jack. In other words, it makes two cords necessary. Got spoiled by a Subaru stereo that I could control my Ipod through the car stereo! Finding some semi-conflicting information on whether my truck would have had the Infinity system, which means this unit might not be compatible. Sigh, more research.

4. HemiLonestar

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    Doesn't matter if you have Infinity or not, those head units will work.

5. Blue Truck

Blue Truck Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    No Spark Plugs
    To follow up on this, I was all excited to hit the junkyard and find an RAH-prefix stereo. After pulling six or seven units out of dashes, all I could come up with was AH units. Ended up keeping the cleanest one, which happened to be one with a cassette player. Should I have held out for one with an 8-track tape player? Maybe I'll dig some of those 80's and 90's mixed tapes out of storage.

Anyway, this one will be considered "good enough" for the time being. Since I bought it during a sale week, I'm into it less than $12 including sales tax. Was terrified that once I opened up my dash, I'd find that the aftermarket stereo would have been installed by one of those places that butchers stock wiring as part of the "free installation," but that wasn't the case...phew. Sure looks a lot nicer than the aftermarket one, and I love the fact that I can read the buttons on it!
    20201202_150911.jpg 20201202_151929.jpg 20201202_160706.jpg

6. HemiLonestar

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    Why didn't you just buy the one I was offering lol?

Screenshot_2021-02-23 Factory Stereo Options or Upgrades 2003 ST Trim.png

7. Blue Truck

Blue Truck Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    No Spark Plugs
    ...because my reading comprehension (lack of) didn't pick up that you were offering them for sale. Oops! I skimmed over that and didn't catch what you were saying. IIRC, I searched the Terk unit online at the time and saw it was discontinued/not available, so I definitely misinterpreted your post.

8. HemiLonestar

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    Yeah man, I've had them for years and upgraded about 2yrs ago. Do you want them? They've been sitting in my garage that long lol. Was trying to sell them as a package deal.