Finally getting my truck painted (a horror story)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
This sucks for you man. Have you weighed the cost of the lawyer and your time going to small claims court vs just taking the truck to a more reputable shop and paying to have it fixed the right way? It is terrible the way these guys have screwed you over and good luck in going the small claims route. Just hope it's worth the additional costs and time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point, it's a matter of principle. I've got more time than money, however my small claims prep work and attorney consultation are covered by some additional insurance I purchase at work.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Finally getting my truck painted

Sorry to hear you got shafted.. Ill add get a est. from a quality shop on their cost to repair all the screw ups. Keep a log of every conversation you have with the shop owner, Time and date ! Make notes on his threat on extra charges, Name time date etc.. Bring detailed pics of the truck to court,

And even though you got a bargain price you are entitled to a good job!

Also file a complaint to the BBB Better Business Bureau

Good luck

90% of the conversations I've had with the owner have been via text messaging mostly because he doesn't answer his phone. So with that, I've got his actual words date/time stamped going all the way back to originally reaching out to him for the initial estimate. To include the final text from him threatening to charge me for items he volunteered to do at no cost.

Also, already filed a bad review via the BBB.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I watch a lot of judge Judy, so here's my opinion on this lol.

When you go to court, they are probably going to compare the price you paid against estimates from other shops to do the same work. If they determine that you got a job that is acceptable compared to what you could have paid, there may not be much you can do.

Yes they did a half ass job. But if the court determines that you only paid half of what other reputable shops would charge, they may not help you much.

Those are some really good points but I'm holding out that the court makes him do the quality job he said he'd do for the price charged.

I'll be going to a reputable shop to get a quote to repair the poor workmanship that went into this paint job.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Price has nothing to do with the quality. If he quoted you a price for a professional job, then that is what is expected to be done. Courts do not care what others charge. They care what he quoted for work He promised. Take his ass to court.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Price has nothing to do with the quality. If he quoted you a price for a professional job, then that is what is expected to be done. Courts do not care what others charge. They care what he quoted for work He promised. Take his ass to court.

I agree on all accounts!!! [emoji1303]

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

that's pretty much it, just because you made someone a low price deal for the half the price of other shops doesn't mean you can do half the work, he has to honor the deal he made, whether he lost money and wants to honor it or not, hopefully in court they will award you a new paint job from another shop on his dollar, at least that's what I would fight for and stress to them that you cant trust the guy not to cause additional damage to your vehicle if he is forced to fix this mess up

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
that's pretty much it, just because you made someone a low price deal for the half the price of other shops doesn't mean you can do half the work, he has to honor the deal he made, whether he lost money and wants to honor it or not, hopefully in court they will award you a new paint job from another shop on his dollar, at least that's what I would fight for and stress to them that you cant trust the guy not to cause additional damage to your vehicle if he is forced to fix this mess up

Great advice! I figured I could get 50% back of the $2200 I paid since he only did about half the job but I like your idea of requesting a paint job from a more reputable shop that can do the work.

I'm sure I can line up others that have had problems with him in the past. One of them wrote a bad review on Google and provided his email address in case anyone wanted to take this guy to court.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to ask what kind of job did you really think you were going to get for 2200. Painting a whole truck for that kind of money should've been a red flag from the get go.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I have to ask what kind of job did you really think you were going to get for 2200. Painting a whole truck for that kind of money should've been a red flag from the get go.

ive seen plenty of $2k paint jobs that all they would need is a good cut and polish to look amazing, for 2k I expect the paint to be sprayed properly at least, obviously the person doing this guys truck doesn't even know how to do that

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting keep us updated

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, but I don't care if I pay the guy $100. If that is what he quoted for a paint job, then it better be done right. Not my problem if he does not make money. You still expect professional service from a professional shop.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Sorry, but I don't care if I pay the guy $100. If that is what he quoted for a paint job, then it better be done right. Not my problem if he does not make money. You still expect professional service from a professional shop.

Here here!!![emoji1303]

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Here are some additional photos of the jacked up work the shop did after taking it in for the third time.
Image1482439166.586185.jpg double run
Image1482439185.888635.jpg only partially resprayed the liner - different product used
Image1482439222.851132.jpg even after respray they still didn't bother covering this spot
Image1482439266.128219.jpg clear coat is already failing
Image1482439291.129260.jpg painted over 3M tape they didn't remove and now the paint is failing

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Finally getting my truck painted

Oh yeah, I filed my small claims paperwork today and they'll be served by the local constables.

Now I have to wait 4-6 weeks for the papers to be served and wait on his answer.

Got a quote from a really reputable shop to fix the paint issues I now have (supporting documentation for court hearing). $7300 so that's what my claim is for (per legal counsel advice).

Last edited:

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are some additional photos of the jacked up work the shop did after taking it in for the third time.
View attachment 81705 double run
View attachment 81706 only partially resprayed the liner - different product used
View attachment 81707 even after respray they still didn't bother covering this spot
View attachment 81708 clear coat is already failing
View attachment 81709 painted over 3M tape they didn't remove and now the paint is failing

That truly is pathetic work.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
yeah I those pictures make me sick for sure!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man that's terrible. Sorry to hear about your woes. Hopefully your small claims court goes through and justice is served

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Oh yeah, I filed my small claims paperwork today and they'll be served by the local constables.

Now I have to wait 4-6 weeks for the papers to be served and wait on his answer.

Got a quote from a really reputable shop to fix the paint issues I now have (supporting documentation for court hearing). $7300 so that's what my claim is for (per legal counsel advice).

And your truck is an '04? I wonder how current value would affect such a request. Theoretically, it's immaterial but I can't but wonder if (say) your truck was assessed at $4K fair-market value.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you even get more than the value of a vehicle?

I think you would get a refund + up to the total value of the vehicle, and it would considered a total loss... Maybe you can get costs of rentals (if you rented because of the additional time in the shop), and loss of wages if you were out of work trying to resolve this.

But, other than those, they would just total out the vehicle.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think that should be an issue here^^
It's not an insurance claim therefore they can't or shouldn't total it.
The OP just want his paint job done right therefore if the shop owner couldn't do the job correctly the OP wants to take it to a more reputable shop having the shop owner pick up the tab for a job they couldn't do right.

Regardless of how much he paid or not he was quoted a low price but that doesn't mean the shop has to do a crappy job like they did to his truck.

This looks like an interesting case