Finally! Moab bound!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerrysWagon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Made the final arrangements this week. It’s official, I’m gonna break the Moab cherry. Gonna be there May 22nd thru 27th. So excited!
Long shot, but any of my buddies here gonna be in the area same time? Also going to be making a stop in Colorado Springs on Friday 21st if anyone is around.
I’m also open to any and all suggestions on what trails for a newbie to go on and other things to do while there. Interested in rafting down the river

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The 12,000 feet high paved Highway 82 over Independence Pass to I-70 from Colo Spgs via Aspen usually opens a week prior to Memorial Day, so around May 24th. You might be able to take that route over the Rockies on your way to or from Moab when they clear the snow.

There's a lifetime adventure of High Country 4x4 off-road trails between Colorado Springs and Moab within the Rockies that I could recommend, but then below is a recent photo of my local state highway at nearly 11,000 feet just 18 miles from my home. The trails are deeply snowbound.
camera (4).jpeg

Robert fletcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did fins and things with mine..a little nerve racking..lol ..the plastic piece below my rear bumper eight by the park sensor got a little scratched up from steep up and down..this is with 35s .had alot of fun. ..grand junction (fruita is where I stay ) has alot to do as well! Rabbit valley....make sure you do chicken corners! (Goggle it) not super hard but a day of fun...

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Made the final arrangements this week. It’s official, I’m gonna break the Moab cherry. Gonna be there May 22nd thru 27th. So excited!
Long shot, but any of my buddies here gonna be in the area same time? Also going to be making a stop in Colorado Springs on Friday 21st if anyone is around.
I’m also open to any and all suggestions on what trails for a newbie to go on and other things to do while there. Interested in rafting down the river

Gemini Bridges is another great beginner trail to get you started. Nothing difficult but great views and it takes you to a pair of bridge arches that are really neat to hike around.

I’ve rafted all over Colorado but never Utah. Last summer we did a Royal Gorge river trip out of Canon City and had a blast.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Gemini Bridges is another great beginner trail to get you started. Nothing difficult but great views and it takes you to a pair of bridge arches that are really neat to hike around.

I’ve rafted all over Colorado but never Utah. Last summer we did a Royal Gorge river trip out of Canon City and had a blast.

How did you like rafting through the Gates of Lodore on the Green River in Colorado? You're mighty brave.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you like rafting through the Gates of Lodore on the Green River in Colorado? You're mighty brave.

Haven’t done that particular trip but would love to! I’m not sure my better half will let me drag her on anymore white water rafting trips after we went for a little swim thru some rapids on the Arkansas last year lol

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Haven’t done that particular trip but would love to! I’m not sure my better half will let me drag her on anymore white water rafting trips after we went for a little swim thru some rapids on the Arkansas last year lol

I have a daughter whom rafted the Yampa to the Green River. Not for me. Much bigger, badder river than the Arkansas.

North, west, and east of Moab and Green River, Utah, Gateway and Mack, Colorado it's desolate country. My home area it’s just 1.9 persons per square mile, so even more desolation is where my wife and I camp and explore. From Mack over Baxter Pass to Dragon and Bonanza, Utah (old narrow gauge railway route) and John Brown Canyon to Castle Valley (Moab) are on our bucket list for the Power Wagon this year as day trips. Got stuck in Utah's deep snow with both chains on the tires and my Power Wagon's lockers on when we attempted to get to Moab from Gateway the last time. Got to try it again soon.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Was heading west on I-70 towards Moab yesterday in my Power Wagon. With a ski boat in tow when it got to the Mack, Colorado exit with a 107F reading on the screen it was like the truck's steering pulled hard to the right towards the lake. Just 10 miles east of the Utah state line and we didn't make it to Moab again. Darn.

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think about the next two years every time I fill up the fuel tanks in our power boat and the Power Wagon that tows it. Lake Powell marinas (near Moab).

FUEL PRICES EFFECTIVE: DEC 4, 2021

RegularDiesel
Wahweap$6.02$7.20
Stateline$6.15
Bullfrog$6.16$7.13

View attachment 479128
quite a graph lol..I would like to see the graph they show for the rise in prices since, (well you now when bu I was told I would be banned if I said it) the graph would barely show any upwards trend...

Last edited by a moderator: