Finding odometer reading on a wrecked truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought a badly wrecked truck for the engine. I'd like to get confirmation of the mileage if I can.
From reading here it is my understanding that the mileage is stored both in the engine ECU and in the instrument cluster.
On this truck the wiring harness is torn up and the fusebox has been hanging out in the rain, so I probably can't just install a battery and turn the key. I'll try it.... but it may not fly.
It's a 2014 2500 with 6.4 hemi.
Can I just power up the ECU by itself and read the mileage with an OBD II scan tool?
Or power up the instrument cluster and see what it displays?
Let me know what will be easiest. Thanks!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will need to power up the truck/power to ecu and scan it a decent scanner will give a general idea of milage not your cheap autoparts store scanner.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can I just power up the ECU by itself and read the mileage with an OBD II scan tool?
Or power up the instrument cluster and see what it displays?
Let me know what will be easiest.
You should be able to plug either into your truck and read the mileage, don't start the engine though. You may have to clear some mismatch codes if you plug in the ECM but it shouldn't be a problem with AlfaOBD

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Do you have the vin # I can look up the most recent service on the car fax that was reported

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
or call the state registration, pretty sure you have to report mileage when you update ownership least ways most Canadian provinces do

OP
OP
E

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well that was easier than I expected. From the condition of the truck I did not have high hopes.
IMG_20221128_123642460.jpg

OP
OP
E

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But wow, when I hooked up a good battery the cluster lit right up. 69k miles is not what the VIN check said it would be, but it still seems pretty good to me. So far the engine looks OK, the motor mount bolts are broken off in the block but the bosses on the block are fine. One mount for the AC compressor on the front cover is busted but I can swap out the front cover from my truck. Tomorrow I break out the cutting torch.
IMG_20221128_134147528.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Might be worth pulling the oilpan off while the engine is out,and looking the connecting rods over close from the bottem,wouldn't be the first time,i've seen the connecting rods bent from a hard hit

OP
OP
E

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes I'm planning on checking things out and replacing gaskets and seals etc. All so much easier when the engine is out of the truck.
Tell me, how would I check for bent rods? If it's visually obvious that's easy but beyond that what should I look for or how would I measure?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes I'm planning on checking things out and replacing gaskets and seals etc. All so much easier when the engine is out of the truck.
Tell me, how would I check for bent rods? If it's visually obvious that's easy but beyond that what should I look for or how would I measure?
Best bet is just to eyeball them from the bottom,if they're bent,it'll be pretty easy to see.Depends alot on the severity of the impact,head ons and hard hits from the rear are usually the hits that'll bend them