First and last time Dodge Ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There is a serious disconnect in the discussion here. A good example, I think, of what is meant by the "life" of a vehicle was demonstrated many years ago by the car rental business. They would not keep a car past three years or 50,000 miles. The reason was that the life of the vehicle was just that: 3 years or 50,000 miles. Before you get riled up, consider that the car rental business was not interested in how long the vehicle might last and neither was it interested in how far it could be driven (under any circumstance). They determined that the 50,000 mile mark was the upper limit before parts needed to be replaced. Any parts, you see. They made money when the car was rented and on the road. It's an interesting drill to take what you paid for a new vehicle and add what you paid for anything whatsoever in the first year, then the second year, and the third. Divide by the number of months you have had the vehicle. The cost of ownership includes everything and it screws up your cost-per-month in a major way. Frequency of repair/maintenance/anything that takes it out of service increases, too. That is what is refered to as "reliability." It isn't "once I get it fixed, it'll do this or that." The issue seems to boil down to two different definitions of "life." One is geared toward the life of all the original parts, a correct definition, but a technical one. The other is how long and far you can drive a vehicle until it gets to a point that you don't want to play any more. The discussion is not addressing those radically different viewpoints of ownership of a vehicle.

The car rental business keeps cars for about 20,000 miles these days.
Is that because they're not reliable after that or is it because they will sell for a lot more if they have super low miles on them?

Times have changed.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Rental car comp
Did I say that? No. Did I say ANY vehicle wasn't going past 100K? No.
Pretty much that is what you said unless you keep throwing parts at it. You are entitled to your opinion and that's fine, but without data, that is all it is.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
It all started going downhill (the up-side is that the mileage gets better) when the '11 Ram with 92,000 miles was described as "super mint."

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
The car rental business keeps cars for about 20,000 miles these days.
Is that because they're not reliable after that or is it because they will sell for a lot more if they have super low miles on them?

Times have changed.
I would expect that the mileage takes a larger share of the consideration these days. There are low mileage leases for sale, too; and it would not surprise me if that is competition for selling rental cars. It would make an interesting study, maybe. But nothing has changed at all. The rental companies take off the cream and convert the rest to cash/trade/whatever. When they get rid of the cars is something that should attract attention. An individual might be wise to buy new and trade at the same juncture if they're buying a little car.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Yeah, the broken exhaust manifold bolts thing sucks. I recently sold a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer with 116K miles on it that I bought brand new. These Trailblazers with the 4.2L I6 (most common engine in these) was notorious for cracked exhaust manifolds/broken bolts. This past summer, I finally had the cracked exhaust manifold replaced by a master mechanic. Out of the 11 bolts, 5 of them were broken off. He had a hell of a time with it, more than 8 hrs. labor...so glad that I didn't attempt this job myself, as I almost did! So the 5.7 Hemi's aren't the only ones with these issues.
TB4.jpg

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
An individual might be wise to buy new and trade at the same juncture if they're buying a little car.

I keep my vehicles a long time, usually 10 years or more and I run lots of miles.
I don't buy little cars.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
The washer may be a lock collar with a set screw that clamps on your drill bit to act as a stop of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the same setup as a "depth gauge" in woodworking. If that's what it is, it will fall far short of impressive. I like the "of sorts" characterization. Right on target.:D

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's the same setup as a "depth gauge" in woodworking. If that's what it is, it will fall far short of impressive. I like the "of sorts" characterization. Right on target.:D

Yeah I didnt say it was going to work, just a guess on what they may send with the jig OP is waitin on. Would I use that? Haha No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
2014 with 106,*** running strong.

I thought about getting a 2019, even spoke with a couple different dealerships but every time I look at my truck and realize it's beautiful and I have no good reason to get a new truck I just can't part with it.

I'll stick with Ram and get another one at some point though.
^ this. 2010 w/135K miles. Great truck, excellent condition and regular maintenance. I get it though, sometimes it is a crapshoot. My next rig is a 5th Gen HD gasser.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca