First and last time Dodge Ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
been a Chevy man all my life, multiple Chevy trucks, 1970 camaro rd/ss 1970 Chevelle ss big block, 1996 Pontiac GTO 6.0 6 speed. I can honestly say I never had any issues besides wear and tear.
Last year I picked up a super mint 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie crew cab, once I drove it, I fell in love with it, and decided to give the dodge a shot.
92,000 miles on the truck, I’ve changed the front wheels baring and tie Rod ends. Last week the famous exhaust tick started, so I ordered 2 new Dorman manifolds and bolts, upon inspection, 2 broken manifold bolts on the driver side. One of my friend a 35 year seasoned mechanic hasn’t been able to extract one bolt so far, 2 days of welding nuts to the stud.
Never again will I own a dodge! Wile my dodge is in the shop I’m driving my 2004 old trusty 2004 Chevy 4x4 with 257,000 on it, and still running like a champ. Dodge ad a chance to grab a new coustomer from Chevy, but failed. Going to trade it soon, and going back to what has worked me before

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
been a Chevy man all my life, multiple Chevy trucks, 1970 camaro rd/ss 1970 Chevelle ss big block, 1996 Pontiac GTO 6.0 6 speed. I can honestly say I never had any issues besides wear and tear.
Last year I picked up a super mint 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie crew cab, once I drove it, I fell in love with it, and decided to give the dodge a shot.
92,000 miles on the truck, I’ve changed the front wheels baring and tie Rod ends. Last week the famous exhaust tick started, so I ordered 2 new Dorman manifolds and bolts, upon inspection, 2 broken manifold bolts on the driver side. One of my friend a 35 year seasoned mechanic hasn’t been able to extract one bolt so far, 2 days of welding nuts to the stud.
Never again will I own a dodge! Wile my dodge is in the shop I’m driving my 2004 old trusty 2004 Chevy 4x4 with 257,000 on it, and still running like a champ. Dodge ad a chance to grab a new coustomer from Chevy, but failed. Going to trade it soon, and going back to what has worked me before

1996 GTO? Say what?

2011 is a bad year. Like most car brands there are some years you just don’t buy. Especially the first year for a new generation. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ilovemyramlaremie

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1996 GTO? Say what?

2011 is a bad year. Like most car brands there are some years you just don’t buy. Especially the first year for a new generation. Good luck to you.

Whoops screw up on the GTO. 2006

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought the forth generation ram started in 2009. So 2011 would be the 3 rd year production

It did. I’m just speaking in general you don’t want a first year of a generation. I think ram started picking it up after 2012. Don’t quote me

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Good luck, but my story is almost the same but with the brands swapped....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
with all due respect, they don't make vehicles like they did back then, and your issues were rather small items. As for Chevy, my last three were lemon's and I won a lemon law suit on one of the an Avalanche. Perhaps you should expect some maintenance items.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 with 106,*** running strong.

I thought about getting a 2019, even spoke with a couple different dealerships but every time I look at my truck and realize it's beautiful and I have no good reason to get a new truck I just can't part with it.

I'll stick with Ram and get another one at some point though.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know broken manifold bolts were an issue with Fords too so it's not just ram, I can't say if the same for GM. A coworker had a 2010 Silvetado (I think thats the year???) that his brand new truck used over a quart of oil every 1000 miles & Chevy said that was ok. I know it sucks when something breaks & it's not easy or cheap to fix. Good luck with whatever you decide to try or do

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you buy the Chevy trucks new or used? Makes a huge difference. How many miles did the RAM have on it when you bought it? Any warranty? When I bought my used 2012 with 64000 miles on it, the vehicle came with a 2y/24k mile warranty which I used to cover a couple small repairs like you are dealing with. You say it was mint, did you know the previous owner and know how the vehicle was maintained previously? Buying used vehicles always carries risks.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
with all due respect, they don't make vehicles like they did back then, and your issues were rather small items. As for Chevy, my last three were lemon's and I won a lemon law suit on one of the an Avalanche. Perhaps you should expect some maintenance items.

Yea how bout it, the wheel bearings and tie rods sound like normal wear and tear items to me, especially depending how you drive. Like if ya hit pot holes or dodge them for example. The manifold and bolts is ****** and typical for these rams but still all brands have their flaws.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2014 with 106,*** running strong.

I thought about getting a 2019, even spoke with a couple different dealerships but every time I look at my truck and realize it's beautiful and I have no good reason to get a new truck I just can't part with it.

I'll stick with Ram and get another one at some point though.

I did that as well, and now that they pre-heat differential fluid and transmission fluids, it may be that future Rams will be less reliable over time then 2014 and below. The operating temps of these times are way up over not heating the fluid, and the only reason the heat the fluid is for fuel economy, not because it is good for longevity.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 11 and have replaced the normal things that wear out for a 95k mile vehicle. This one has been abused by the previous owner in the great area of Nova Scotia Canada. You have no idea the history of any vehicle with that age to it.
It is funny how one broken bolt can turn you off to a brand, probably a cross threaded nut made you leave GM?!?!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did that as well, and now that they pre-heat differential fluid and transmission fluids, it may be that future Rams will be less reliable over time then 2014 and below. The operating temps of these times are way up over not heating the fluid, and the only reason the heat the fluid is for fuel economy, not because it is good for longevity.

Hopefully they dont add that junk to the HD when they release the updated.

At the time of buying my 1500 I didnt realize the 2500s had coil spring suspension as well. Maybe not quite as comfortable as the 1500, but still probably better than an F150 with leafs. I would have seriously considered bumping up to the 2500 if for no other reason than getting heavy duty no-frills (i.e. no heated differential fluid) stuff that should potentially last longer.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Looks like the OP has left the thread. POS’s are like that.
GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@MADDOG would you close this thread please

OP
OP
ilovemyramlaremie

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
O
Looks like the OP has left the thread. POS’s are like that.
GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

I just got off work, and was reading this thread again. Would you like to elaborate a little bit what you mean by POS!s ??