First oil change and the ‘18 already needs replacement parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bob sisic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi sport 4x4 crew cab
I work at a Chrysler plant and our engines came with the filter already installed , so that would mean the plant that built the engine not the assembly plant that installed the engine

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would you change the oil at 2400 miles? I think I did my first change at about 7500 miles. Maybe I read the OP wrong?

rustedandrotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine was that tight that the body span when trying to undo and left the base, just thought it was a bit of an oddity. Second factory filter started leaking oil after 10k km at the seam.....worrying!! Now fitted with non OE filter as not a lot of faith in originals!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why would you change the oil at 2400 miles? I think I did my first change at about 7500 miles. Maybe I read the OP wrong?

Engine break in. I've seen cut open filters from many new or newly rebuilt engines (Including modern stuff) and you will see all sorts of metal particles in there. Depending on the quality of the filter some of those will be circulating around in the oil which will increase wear. I typically do 500, 1500, 3000, 5000 on any new vehicle or engine and then move to 5/6k OCI's depending on the service it is seeing and the oil it's running.

OP
OP
mason mank

mason mank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just personal preference on breaking in a new factory engine is all. I wanted to get it done before i got to 3000 miles.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Call me crazy....but I too changed my oil @ 2000 mi. Wanted a premium oil (PUP 30W) and filter (M1). My filter and drain plug was snug tight, No issues other than the fact that the filter will leak oil on components unless a zip lok bag is wrapped around it. Also installed a drain valve to replace the factory plug. Plan on changing oil and tire rotation @ 7000 mi now.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So after failing to get the factory filter off myself i decided to let the dealer do the trucks first oil change, just a couple ticks over 2400 miles. After sitting for over an hour and wondering what the hell they were doing to take so long, the lady in the service department handed me a pair of safety glasses and said “i need you to follow me”, i was like “seriously?” She brings me to the mechanoc doing the oil change and he explains that when they installed the filter at the factory, they overtightened it to the point it stripped half the threads on the housing, and crushed the rim on the filter itself, he attempted to put a new filter on and when it was tightened he then removed it and showed me that only about one quarter of the gasket was making contact.

Needless to say im not all that impressed, and hopefully not the begginning of a trend for this truck. And to just make it all that mich sweeter, they sent the wrong replacement part, so im currently on day 3 of my oil change. Wonder if thats a record?

******. Cause I'd buy a Ram again any time. On my 2nd. one, and both have been flawless reliability.

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I ordered a new ‘18 BigHorn 2500 CTD. At about 5,500 miles with about 50% oil life left, I received an e-mail from FCA offering me my first oil change for free. I have been wondering what the real reason was that they offered me this $50. offer for free. Now, I wonder if this is the reason they made this offer. I am at about 30%; and I am thinking this might be a good reason to let them do it?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I ordered a new ‘18 BigHorn 2500 CTD. At about 5,500 miles with about 50% oil life left, I received an e-mail from FCA offering me my first oil change for free. I have been wondering what the real reason was that they offered me this $50. offer for free. Now, I wonder if this is the reason they made this offer. I am at about 30%; and I am thinking this might be a good reason to let them do it?

Just wondering, was the free oil changed tied to the selling dealer only doing it? My last three FCA bought vehicles to include my current 2500, I received a free first oil change offer about 6 months in.

ultivssl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I changed the oil and filter in my US built 2018 1500 (live in Canada) and my filter was on stupidly tight too. Changed it at 4k due to break-in and put in PUP 5w20 with FRAM Ultra filter. Going to change the oil and filter with RL 5w30 and RP 10-48

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Had dealer change mine at 2000 miles because I didn't want to leave the same oil in it over a year plus however long it sat around pre purchase. Went quick and easy.