First oil change for this 2500... went sweet! With a question too.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've read threads on here saying how terrible the first oil change can be. I thought about taking it to the dealer or having a local place do the first one for me. But this morning I crawled under with my oil filter wrench and tried turning the oil filter to see how tight is it. Well, it turned and I smiled. So my first oil change went sweet. I have the 6.4 Hemi.

So now I'm running PUP 0W-40 full synthetic. Under normal around town and highway conditions, how many miles can I expect to go before the next oil change? It's my first time running full synthetic oil. Thanks.

Red

Last edited:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m guessing you reset the oil-life meter in the console. I usually change mine when it gets down towards 10% which seems to be around 12000kms which is usually in the 3-4 month range.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Since synthetic is a requirement baked into the oil specification for that engine, it doesn’t affect the oil change intervals.

Some people go by the oil life indicator, which is fine. Some prefer to do it earlier. Personally I change at around 5k intervals or about 40% oil life remaining on the indicator. Personal preference as I operate in a lot of dirty environments.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OP
OP
Papa Red

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a diesel, so my opinion is lost here.. I will say this, get on Amazon or go to staples etc. Get a maintenance log and track all your maint. As Bob Macknight said, its a great tool when warranty issues arise--if they do.
Cheers!

I have a spreadsheet on the computer that I put any and all maintenance things into and a folder for receipts. I also keep track of what size the drain plug is, oil filter part number and so forth plus any notes.

Red

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're going to find a lot of different information on how long to keep your oil in there.

There are a LOT of factors you should consider. Do you make a lot of short trips? Do you have extended periods of idling? Lots of things can lower the life span of the oil additives.

Personally? I'd go with 5k changes for the first couple, then 7,500 from there on out. I know my '16 acts like 10k is fine, but not with what I use it for (Lots of short trips, and lots of loooooong idle times)

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First oil change I did at 3000 miles and since then it will be 5000 miles. I do mostly hwy miles, like interstate miles most of the time. So like 1000 slow miles and the other 4000 miles HWY>>>>>Just about ready for my second oil change now. I am sure that if you went 6000 miles or 7500 would not hurt either depending on the type of area you are from>>>>>>Everyone has their own idea on this subject also>>> Depending on if you are old school or not even if the engine manufacture's are telling you different>>>>>

OP
OP
Papa Red

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like there is a big difference underneath between a 1500 and a 2500. My oil filter was easy enough to access and it has the built in funnel that dropped any oil straight down. Plus the drain plug is wide open, nothing in its way.

Red

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Change interval depends on the duty level and how the truck is driven. Truck 1 that is driven 5000 miles with stop and go driving and averaging 25 mph results in more time driving with the engine cold and about 200 hours of engine operation. Truck 2 that drives 5000 miles with mostly long highway trips and averaging 50 mph will put 100 hours on the engine and the motor oil. Two very different situations which is why the engine computer is a smarter way to decide when to change the oil.

By the way, Valvoline in conjunction with Cummins has released a new extended life oil for diesel and natural gas powered engines and the new oil ADDS 5000 miles to the normal change interval. To do that with diesel engines which burn the very dirty diesel fuel is really saying something.

Fleet operators with hundreds or even thousands of trucks on the road every day do not want to waste money or have trucks out of service because the motor oil is being changed and so they do not go by an arbritary miles driven number.

The owners manual is a value for average driving and so it works as a guide for people who do not want to think too hard or even bother to check the vehicle DIC to get a number calulated on trip history.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fleet owners who get rid of their vehicles when the warranty is up (the vast majority) go by the mileage in the book. You can't go in for a warranty claim with a label from your jug of oil and explain why you didn't follow the service guidelines.

OP
OP
Papa Red

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the app. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Red

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Normal HWY driving w\40% tow of light trailer , It normally see like 60/70% oil used I’d do Ever 5000 miles,
The truck used time, mile, rpm load,
To set oil ife,
Oil cheep then engine. Ez too,
Have 6.4 gas so it about $45 to it myself,

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I find my truck with the 6.4L engine one of the easier vehicles to do an oil change with. I usually do the change at 5K and if I have to extend it for a longer period I change the filter and top off a quart until I can do the full maintenance.

Hemi adventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I stay around the 5/6k oil and tire rotation schedule. One of my best friends and both his sons do a 5k oil filter only change and then change oil at 10k. He is on his 3rd. Ram and has never had a problem. I am comfortable with my schedule as he is with his. Different strokes works for everyone I guess.