First oil change for this truck. Synthetic was expensive!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mobil 1 use to the the staple at the dealers. Apparently they weren’t paying their bills so they got dumped by Mobil 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know if it was Chrysler not paying their bill or the formation of FCA and Fiat having a prior deal with Pennzoil. It all took place about the same time. I've heard that some dealers are still using Mobil 1 because of the sorry supply of PUP.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I order PUP from Walmart online, have it in a few days, free freight, meets Ram specs, change it myself, no drama.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't hesitate to use the correct weight Mobil 1. They spec it for a number of high-end high horsepower sports cars like the Corvette. The only issue is it's awfully expensive compared to other alternatives out there. Maybe it's the best, who knows? Keep an eye on the Penzoil Ultra Platinum (or is it 'Premium?), they just had a Black Friday deal for 9.99/gal and free shipping!! I bought a few jugs as did a lot of guys on this board.

I've been using Citgo Full Synthetic in my Ram which you can often find on sale for $2.50 a qt. I stock up when I see it. So you figure 2.5 x 6=$15 + $7 (filter) comes to $22/oil change.

But I've been using Mobil 1 in my mower tractor and some classic cars for years. They all seem to work just fine.

Luis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I love Mobil1, it can be a bit more pricey than the others but I usually buy mine from autozone when they have deals going on with them. Usually buy 8 quarts and get a mobil1 filter for free. I will buy the full synthetic, my Tacoma would get 8,000 miles between oil changes with it. At work I was the Oil Analysis rep so I would send samples of my oil in and everything came back fine, the oil was still good for another few thousand miles.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my dealership is a one that only sells used vehicles (bought my 11 1500 in january of 16) and they say 2 years complimentary maintenence which was only oil changes and diagnostics, you would think they would do rotates but no, and one day I call them I need to schedule an oil change and I had 90,*** miles. everything was going normal until I had a brain smart (lol) and asked them what type of oil they will be using. the answer was that my warranty only covers conventional oil. I havent been back since I pay $65 OTD at a reputable shop only 2 miles from my front door. while my dealership is an hour away in Reno, NV

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Its not that hard to change the oil yourself in these Ram's.

And Pennzoil has the Ultra Platinum on sale at walmart most of the time with a $10 rebate.
and a $6.99 mopar filter.

Dealer here was offering a 4 oil change and rotation package (Mopar) for $85.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Don't use Mobil 1, its not Chrysler MS-6395 certified. If you want inexpensive synthetic use Penzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability which you can get at walmart for 20 -23 bucks per 5qt jug

^^^^this^^^^

I use syn oil every 5K. Ill change it in my garage and it will run me about $65-70

^^^5k oil chage interval highly recommended^^^^

And you can go to the oil testing site a see 221 oil tested and compared against one another, click the link in my signature and it will take you straight to the oil testing site. Enjoy!

As for the $90 oil change from the stealership, that's BS on dry bread. And no water to wash it down.

lakingslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Got my first oil change two weeks ago and the dealer said I could pay the difference between the regular oil change and synthetic oil change. Sounded good to me. Also I have 9 free (8 remaining) under the contract I purchased until 2023. They charged me about 40 to 45 bucks.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ms 6395 is bs, haven't heard of any warranty denials because of brand of oil. I'm currently running M1 EP and it's running great, hell of alot better than Pennzoil platinum.
Don't use Mobil 1, its not Chrysler MS-6395 certified. If you want inexpensive synthetic use Penzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability which you can get at walmart for 20 -23 bucks per 5qt jug

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ms 6395 is bs, haven't heard of any warranty denials because of brand of oil. I'm currently running M1 EP and it's running great, hell of alot better than Pennzoil platinum.

That's probably because of the reliability of the Hemi, few major claims. I spent a good chunk on my truck and added the lifetime warranty for $2300. Not worth the risk for some perceived and un-proven benefit of a different oil.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pay around 90 but I use Redline. I only change about once a year so not a big deal 40-50 bucks extra a year doesn't mean much to me

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's probably because of the reliability of the Hemi, few major claims. I spent a good chunk on my truck and added the lifetime warranty for $2300. Not worth the risk for some perceived and un-proven benefit of a different oil.
I understand what you'e saying to a point however the ms6395 spec is a 2 year test, nothing published as to what standards were required to be met during that 2 years, just a 2 year test. Now if you look at the formulas of all the oils that meet ms6395 the makeups are all over the place. Pretty much any SN rated oil would meet ms6395, and then the oil lcompany has to pay for the privilege of saying they are ms6395 certified. M1 EP actually published that they met ms6395 when it was the SM formula. To each their own, but I think alot of hyp is put on ms6395 that don't mean crap.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm a big believer in Mobil 1 synthetic oils... so what does it not being Chrysler MS-6395 have to do with anything? I'm not being an a-hole here, just wondering if that's more important for those folks that have service contracts with dealerships etc, vs those that do their own oil changes.

If anyone can clarify, I would appreciate it... as I just bought a Mobil M1-113 filter, and planned to buy some Mobil 1 5w20 full synthetic to do an oil change on the 2016 Big Horn I bought 2 weeks ago. The dealership I bought it from did an oil change on it (so they say), but I have no idea what is in it.

Thanks in advance for the advice/clarification.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
There is nothing wrong with M1. The MS-6395 isn't that difficult of a standard to meet and pretty much any modern motor oil of the same viscosity called for will work just fine. I wouldn't pay $40 extra for "synthetic" which is a term that means basically nothing these days. Virtually all name brand oils off the shelf are more than sufficient to maximize the life of your engine. The delta in cost is so small between a semi-synthetic (Let's say Chevron Supreme 5W-20) vs. a "fully synthetic" name brand (Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol) that most will spend the extra $5 per oil change. The dealer is using the extra $35 in that oil change as "extra" margin. It is their right... they are in business to make a dollar but I prefer to change my own oil with a premium product and I pay on average $21 per oil change and an hour of time (at the most) monkeying around under the hood.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm currently running M1 EP 5/20 with M1 filter, no issues at all.
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm a big believer in Mobil 1 synthetic oils... so what does it not being Chrysler MS-6395 have to do with anything? I'm not being an a-hole here, just wondering if that's more important for those folks that have service contracts with dealerships etc, vs those that do their own oil changes.

If anyone can clarify, I would appreciate it... as I just bought a Mobil M1-113 filter, and planned to buy some Mobil 1 5w20 full synthetic to do an oil change on the 2016 Big Horn I bought 2 weeks ago. The dealership I bought it from did an oil change on it (so they say), but I have no idea what is in it.

Thanks in advance for the advice/clarification.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The general consensus is that when FCA was formed that Fiat was allready married to Pennzoil, so they came up with this ms6395 standard which is a 2 year test to give Pennzoil a 2 year head start on anyone claiming they meet ms6395.

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I understand what you'e saying to a point however the ms6395 spec is a 2 year test, nothing published as to what standards were required to be met during that 2 years, just a 2 year test. Now if you look at the formulas of all the oils that meet ms6395 the makeups are all over the place. Pretty much any SN rated oil would meet ms6395, and then the oil lcompany has to pay for the privilege of saying they are ms6395 certified. M1 EP actually published that they met ms6395 when it was the SM formula. To each their own, but I think alot of hyp is put on ms6395 that don't mean crap.

Trust me, I agree. I run M1 in all of my other vehicles and have since I stopped selling Amsoil. I would run it in the Ram if I didn't pay $2300 for the lifetime warranty. That being said, I think Pennzoil has come a long way with their oils and ran PYB for the first 2 changes for 5000 miles or so. Now I run Platinum for about 8500 miles. I do change M1 the same in our 4Runner though, so I'm not justifying it as being able to last longer or anything.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info guys. I hope to get some M1 in her this weekend... take care.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trust me, I agree. I run M1 in all of my other vehicles and have since I stopped selling Amsoil. I would run it in the Ram if I didn't pay $2300 for the lifetime warranty. That being said, I think Pennzoil has come a long way with their oils and ran PYB for the first 2 changes for 5000 miles or so. Now I run Platinum for about 8500 miles. I do change M1 the same in our 4Runner though, so I'm not justifying it as being able to last longer or anything.
Why did you quit selling/using Amsoil? Did you have any problems that developed?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
lol nobody should ever use Royal Purple oil..

Why? Explain your thoughts.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L
Mod list: Pedal Commander, AVS Vent shades, Solo Delete kit, molar side step rails