First oil change w/fram ultra filter..not impressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JodyR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I have always been a ford guy. Bought a new 2015 Laramie a month ago. Put 1550 miles onorth it and decided to do its first oil change. After reading on here and other sites..decided to go with Pennzoil Platinum full syn 5w20 and a Fram Ultra 10060 filter since that's what walmart had. I immediately noticed that when starting..it revs a little higher initially..and actually had a rattle for a second or two. I have put 500 to 600 miles more on it with that setup...but the rattle etc bugged me. SOOO, I stopped and got a factory Mopar 339 filter at dealership tonight and went home and changed it out...topped off oil (about 1/2 qt)...and started. Did not review as high starting...didn't notice the rattle either. Oil pressure seemed a couple psi lower with the mopar...but that's about it. 53 or 54 instead of 56(ultra) when cold... and about 33 when hot and idling I think. Will know more in morNing after it has sat all night.
Is it possible that the ultra was too restrictive causing it to rev up and rattle trying to get oil flow going or ? Some people swear by that filter...but I am not sure on mine...
Crazy stuff. My ford's was always the Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft oil...easy. These Ramsey seem finicky from what all I read...some tick..some rattle..some dont. Lol

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Mopar filter is a good filter , simular in design as the Royal Purple 10-48 filter , I prefer the RP Filter for two reasons 1) the filtering media is 100 % synthetic
2) and most important the ADBV , Anti-Drain Back Valve is silicone as opposed to rubber .

Good chance the ADBV on the Fram filter allowed some oil to drain back into the crankcase , hence the rattle due to a hesitation of oil to get to the top end and lifters .
If you have any trouble out of the the Mopar filter ( doubtful ) maybe try a RP 10-48 filter .
Hope this helps !

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Mopar filter is a good filter , simular in design as the Royal Purple 10-48 filter , I prefer the RP Filter for two reasons 1) the filtering media is 100 % synthetic
2) and most important the ADBV , Anti-Drain Back Valve is silicone as opposed to rubber .

Good chance the ADBV on the Fram filter allowed some oil to drain back into the crankcase , hence the rattle due to a hesitation of oil to get to the top end and lifters .
If you have any trouble out of the the Mopar filter ( doubtful ) maybe try a RP 10-48 filter .
Hope this helps !
The fram Ultra has the same features as the royal purple filter. I didn't notice any difference going from Mopar to the fram ultra, I do have the 6.4 though so that may make a difference.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I have a stupid question... I just bought it used alil over a month ago and haven't changed the oil yet but I believe my '11 hemi has the oil filter vertical but upside down. How does oil drain back?

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Fram Ultra has a silicone ADBV & synthetic media.

Last edited:

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No luck with ultra's either, had the start-up noise when it sat for more than a day. No problems with wix or mopar filters.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I have a stupid question... I just bought it used alil over a month ago and haven't changed the oil yet but I believe my '11 hemi has the oil filter vertical but upside down. How does oil drain back?
Head pressure from above , the oil after shut down could follow the path of.least resistance if the ADBV somehow was allowing the oil to drain back . This could happen to any filter if it was defective such as a small tear in the ADBV sealing surface . This is why I would suggest just changing the filter , just like the OP did .
Maybe we will hear back from the op today on the Mopar filter .

OP
OP
J

JodyR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Head pressure from above , the oil after shut down could follow the path of.least resistance if the ADBV somehow was allowing the oil to drain back . This could happen to any filter if it was defective such as a small tear in the ADBV sealing surface . This is why I would suggest just changing the filter , just like the OP did .
Maybe we will hear back from the op today on the Mopar filter .

I wondered how the oil drained back too with filter straight down..lol. Thanks!

This morning after sitting more than 8 hours...start up seemed to be great! No noise like the Ultra. Oil pressure 59 at fast idle..55 and 56 at 750rpm. Glad it seems to have fixed my rattle. Weird how different trucks do different with different filters. Of course I may have just got a bad filter..but I am done with Fram for now.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fram makes great filters , actually most top name brands that anyone would recognize are made by the same company .. I'd say Sir you just got a defective filter with some sort of problem with the ADBV .
Don't get me wrong even though most filters are made by the same company , diff name brands have their own little qwirks like silicone verses rubber ADBV and diff internal passage for bypass and the filter media being synthetic , paper or a combination. Not all brands disclose via advertisement exactly what's inside .
I chose Royal Purple due to many on the 4th Gen "Syn" thread having great results with it and the fact RP advertises a 100% synthetic filter media and a longer lasting silicone ADBV .
Hope this helps !

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Fram makes great filters , actually most top name brands that anyone would recognize are made by the same company .. I'd say Sir you just got a defective filter with some sort of problem with the ADBV .
Don't get me wrong even though most filters are made by the same company , diff name brands have their own little qwirks like silicone verses rubber ADBV and diff internal passage for bypass and the filter media being synthetic , paper or a combination. Not all brands disclose via advertisement exactly what's inside .
I chose Royal Purple due to many on the 4th Gen "Syn" thread having great results with it and the fact RP advertises a 100% synthetic filter media and a longer lasting silicone ADBV .
Hope this helps !
Fram CAN make great filters. Their normal orange ones though are essentially junk.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jody: Just to let ya know... My Ram once first started after sitting overnight or for many hours will idle up to around 900 rpms maybe a bit higher never really counted RPMs... This is to get the oil up to the lifters and cam faster... I hope all the 5.7L do this after sitting for many hours... This is not a defect or issue!! Then about after about 30 sec or so the engine will idle back down to normal RPM...

Also this is just my own experience! I had a bit of clatter at startup while using the recommended 20Wt... After I switched at the 10K mile mark to a 30Wt the clatter has not returned... Also I think maybe the MoS2 has helped quiet things down as well...

I will say since the 1K mile mark there has been a Fram Ultra installed and Never an Issue!

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
X2 on the wix

I run 5w30 in my 2500 5.7 the 5w20 makes it tick, w20 is a fuel economy thing jeep did the same **** with the 4.0 i6 in the 90s the bearing clearance stayed the same but they went from 10w30 to 5w30,.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So Jody, my experience has been that different filters do matter, my truck sounds horrible on some filters although I haven't tried Fram, Royal Purple seams to be a high flow filter and synthetic too which is great. It may be a tad less efficient, meaning it will let high particles through then some others, but the flow will be great and the synthetic media lasts forever probably. I cut it open at 14 months, still felt pliable and new. I would never use a paper filter over a synthetic, the 80's called they want their paper back.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got rid of the noisy 5W -20 recommended oil & switched to Redline 5W -30 with the RP 10-48 synthetic high flow filter and my trucks never ran so smooth and quiet .
Mine like Syn above revs at a cold start up for about 20-30 secs too , I never hear any clatter or ticking sound . I think mine revs to about 1100 RPMs .
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X2 on the wix

I run 5w30 in my 2500 5.7 the 5w20 makes it tick, w20 is a fuel economy thing jeep did the same **** with the 4.0 i6 in the 90s the bearing clearance stayed the same but they went from 10w30 to 5w30,.

5w-30 is the specified oil for the 2500, why did you run the 20?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
It is recommended when towing over a certain gvwr but if you are not towing that much 5w20 is recommended.

This just shows what a few of us have been somewhat preaching for a spell!

Why does Chrysler Recommend the 30Wt while towing? They know the 30Wt a thicker viscosity offers better wear protection {Film Strength} to protect that motor while working it hard... So why not have that Extra Protection in the crankcase 24/7? It's a No Brainer in my mind!

Thank You Loveracing for adding that post!

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after just coming back from the store with 7qts of RP 5w20 and a fram xg2 filter and reading this i dont really know if i bought a good filter or not anyone running the fram XG2?

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It had 5w20 when i bought it and on long uphill grades you could smell hot oil in the cab when i went to 5w30 that smell went away

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank