Oil Filter Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When changing your own oil, do you pre-fill the new oil filter before installing it?

Supposedly, this puts oil into the engine bearings faster than putting on a dry filter and just adding the 5 quarts (or so) and starting the engine to circulate the oil. A prefilled filter is almost immediate lubrication.

True or not?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I think this question has already been asked/discussed several times from my search here (and other places). Try top right corner under search and use what's in between the brackets - "pre fill oil filter"

Personally, I don't prefill and never have on any motor I've owned for over 40 years of owning many vehicles now. Never been an issue. If you can (filter not sideways - which IMHO debunks this discussion completely since some are and you can't prefill those - now I've done it - flood gates are open!) and it makes sense to you, you can get it done without making a mess, etc then go for it. Certainly no harm done, but I've not seen any reason to do so in my experience.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always prefilled filters if they sit the right way. My truck, and my wife's truck both sit horizontal, so it is pretty much impossible to pre fill those.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's a link to a recent thread where this is discussed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You can pre-fill a horizontal filter,just not fill it full.Even on horizontal filters i pour oil into them,then rotate the filter a few times to pre-soak the pleats.To get a filter full,it usually takes more then 1 pre-fill,the first couple fills,are usually soaked up by the pleats,on a horizontal filter stop filling it after the first or second pre-fill and rotate