First oil to synthetic ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have 2500 miles on my 2020 ram and about to hit the road for some traveling. Wondering if should go ahead and change oil and filter and whether to switch to synthetic? And possibly the penzoil ultimate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Is it a HD truck?
A lot of people think the new trucks have break in oil from the factory. Truth is... they dont!
All the new engines are broke in before the leave the engine manufacturer facility.
The oil that's in the brand new vehicle is the oil that it should use. Proper viscosity and such. If it's a 5.7 the full cap says 5w20. Everyone here will say to change to 5w30. I concur with the census switch to 5w30 full synthetic oil at the first change and ask for the srt oil filter.
I would drive it until it's due to be changed according to the oil life meter on the evic drive it till it's at about 15-20% life left then have it changed. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM. For the first "free" service. And after that if your the DIY type then I would change to RedLine 5w30 and a Royal Purple filter.
There's bout a 1000 different threads on here about oils n filters. 90% of us use RedLine or PUP( Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) in our favorite grade.
I know you'll ask why go to a 5w30 weight and here's the answer...
6w30 oil will keep the cam n lifter issues at bay for a longer period of time. The roller lifters stay pumped up with the 5w30 better than the 5w20. The 5w20 is a thinner oil than the 5w30 the 5w30 will keep it lined better.
Typically change it at about 7000 miles.

Blue Mule

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will be doing the very same thing next month....will have about 3000 miles then...will get first change and switch to synthetic. Safe travels!

OP
OP
eithkrp

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it a HD truck?
A lot of people think the new trucks have break in oil from the factory. Truth is... they dont!
All the new engines are broke in before the leave the engine manufacturer facility.
The oil that's in the brand new vehicle is the oil that it should use. Proper viscosity and such. If it's a 5.7 the full cap says 5w20. Everyone here will say to change to 5w30. I concur with the census switch to 5w30 full synthetic oil at the first change and ask for the srt oil filter.
I would drive it until it's due to be changed according to the oil life meter on the evic drive it till it's at about 15-20% life left then have it changed. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM. For the first "free" service. And after that if your the DIY type then I would change to RedLine 5w30 and a Royal Purple filter.
There's bout a 1000 different threads on here about oils n filters. 90% of us use RedLine or PUP( Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) in our favorite grade.
I know you'll ask why go to a 5w30 weight and here's the answer...
6w30 oil will keep the cam n lifter issues at bay for a longer period of time. The roller lifters stay pumped up with the 5w30 better than the 5w20. The 5w20 is a thinner oil than the 5w30 the 5w30 will keep it lined better.
Typically change it at about 7000 miles.

Blue Mule

Not HD. 5.7

Thanks

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I will be doing the very same thing next month....will have about 3000 miles then...will get first change and switch to synthetic. Safe travels!
Jerry Bob if you'll do it kinda like my write up that engine will easily get 150K miles on it.

Blue Mule

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes change it, there is a poll that included all of the choices and the top 4 oils used at Ram Forum were Pennzoil Synthetics number one, then m1, amsoil, and redline. Point being, number one oil used on ram forum is pennzoil, srt oil is also pennzoil. Read my filter thread in my sig as well, get a spun microglass filter. = srt filter, royal purple, amsoil ea, fram ultra, wix xp are all spun microglass. see 4 gen stickys for poll.

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
5w30 for the 5.7?? I’m at 600 miles.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Dumb to switch to a heavier weight motor oil than is recommended. It is not going to increase the lubrication for the moving parts of the engine. Starting in 2017 all the motor oils were reformulated for engines with closer tolerances and be able to use lower viscosity motor oils.

For a 2020 engine you want to use the recommended weight of oil and if recommended, a pure synthetic. My 2018 Chevy takes either synthetic and dino blended oil or pure synthetic. If I was changing the oil myself it would be with a blend.

Change intervals should be based on how you drive the truck. Short trips with the engine cold are much harder on the engine oil and contaminents build up much faster. If someone puts 6,000 miles on their truck with mostly highway driving and averaging 60 mph overall then they have put 100 hours on the engine and its oil. Another person driving mostly in town and averaging 30 mph in stop and go commuter traffic will after 6,000 miles have put 200 hours of use on the engine and its oil, which is a very big difference and the change interval should be adjusted.

Although I have the oil change done at a local quick lube place I bring my own OEM filter and do not trust the aftermarket oil filters that they use.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb to switch to a heavier weight motor oil than is recommended. It is not going to increase the lubrication for the moving parts of the engine. Starting in 2017 all the motor oils were reformulated for engines with closer tolerances and be able to use lower viscosity motor oils.

For a 2020 engine you want to use the recommended weight of oil and if recommended, a pure synthetic. My 2018 Chevy takes either synthetic and dino blended oil or pure synthetic. If I was changing the oil myself it would be with a blend.

Change intervals should be based on how you drive the truck. Short trips with the engine cold are much harder on the engine oil and contaminents build up much faster. If someone puts 6,000 miles on their truck with mostly highway driving and averaging 60 mph overall then they have put 100 hours on the engine and its oil. Another person driving mostly in town and averaging 30 mph in stop and go commuter traffic will after 6,000 miles have put 200 hours of use on the engine and its oil, which is a very big difference and the change interval should be adjusted.

Although I have the oil change done at a local quick lube place I bring my own OEM filter and do not trust the aftermarket oil filters that they use.
Why is it dumb? Dumb is continuing to let your engine clatter without trying to do something about it and that means trying different things. I guess more than half of the Hemi owners on here are *********(me included)but at least my engine is whisper quiet.

Why are you talking about a 2018 Chevy? Chevy what? I think the OP is looking for answers on his 5.7 Hemi which are two different animals. The model year has no bearing on anything as they are all Eagle Hemi's from 2009 to present. What helps/stave off HEMI tick on one will work on most. We are talking about the HEMI right, not some random GM engine.............

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put Pennzoil Ultra in my 2018 5.7 at 750 miles. Now at 10,000 and burns no oil.

OP
OP
eithkrp

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have 2500 miles on my 2020 ram and about to hit the road for some traveling. Wondering if should go ahead and change oil and filter and whether to switch to synthetic? And possibly the penzoil ultimate ?

Went with PUP 5w30 and royal filter. Hopefully not my imagination but sounds a tad quieter.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PUP5w30 for me too.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why is it dumb? Dumb is continuing to let your engine clatter without trying to do something about it and that means trying different things. I guess more than half of the Hemi owners on here are *********(me included)but at least my engine is whisper quiet.

Why are you talking about a 2018 Chevy? Chevy what? I think the OP is looking for answers on his 5.7 Hemi which are two different animals. The model year has no bearing on anything as they are all Eagle Hemi's from 2009 to present. What helps/stave off HEMI tick on one will work on most. We are talking about the HEMI right, not some random GM engine.............

Y'alls engines are clattering???? wtf????

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently switched to QSUD Synthetic (Quaker State Ultimate Durability) 5W-30 and my truck seems to run smoother and quieter than it did on PUP or RL. I can get it locally at my Advance Auto Parts.

I have a Blackstone on the PUP and I’m waiting on my RL results now. Next change I’ll do one on the QSUD for comparison.

77CB43FF-080E-40AD-A02E-8E42520D9AB7.jpeg

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you familiar with HEMI tick? That clattering for a few seconds when it starts up........not all do it but many do. There are thousands of threads on it on Ramforum alone.

I had that on my 2009...I always figured it was a manifold leak.....the 2020 doesn't seem to do it though