Fixed "Side Steps" vs. Power "Running Boards"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with fixed. In areas where there is a snow and ice for months, how long until those power board fail, especially in sub zero temps with ice build up. As it is there seem to be some having issues where the factory boards are causing battery drain resulting in dead batteries.
If I was buying a Limited, which I am not ever going to do, I would have the power boards removed and put on fixed.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the fixed but for a different reason. I don’t have any trouble getting in and out of the truck. In fact I don’t even use it .....I step around it.

What I do have a problem with is people slamming their doors in the side of my truck in parking lots. They can slam it into the running board now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm currently in NL eastern Canada. Our winter here can be compared to Alaska. So far this winter we have gotten in excess of 100cm's of snow. We've had very cold temps and sometimes slushy conditions. No issues with the power steps, my only concern would be that they have zero protection for the side panels and my truck is constantly dirty, dirty.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone know what brand the factory powered running boards are?
Please don't say "Mopar"; but if you do say "Mopar" then who (sub-contractor) sourced it?

My understanding is that the RamBox, the spray-on bedliner, the pwoered boards, etc are all sent out to be done, by subcontractor(s), a little bit down the road from the factory. Not the factory-proper.

The reason I ask if we can identify thw origins of the powered factory running boards is I didn't get them from the factory and now I want them. BUT... to maximize compatability and minimize the law of unintended consequences (and "Murphy"), and not have some installer do extraneous drilling of my frame, I was hoping to get "factory" powered boards as an "aftermarket" addition.

(2020 1500 Laramie Crew Cab RamBox short bed (5'7") 4x4 btw...)