Flowmaster Super 10 - Dual In / Dual Out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp28173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done a bit of research on this already but wanted to get some of your takes on this since there seems to be differing opinions. I'm having a shop install a Super 10 muffler in a few days as well as remove the resonators. Question is, do I have them cut out the factory Y pipe between the cats and muffler and run individual pipes from the cats to a dual in muffler, or keep the Y pipe and just do a single in/dual out setup?

I've heard the Y pipe is restrictive and by cutting it out and running individual pipes to a dual in muffler ("true duals") will help eliminate a "choke" point in the exhaust... not necessarily improving performance or anything, just more free flowing and possibly a tad better sound-wise. However, when getting quotes from different shops to do the work the overwhelming majority of them said they won't do this since it's altering the factory exhaust, and one of them said by cutting the Y pipe out and running dual pipes it will change the flow of exhaust gases (obviously) which will likely result in the sensors throwing a check engine light. How accurate is that??

So which would you go with, A or B, and why?

A) Cut out Y pipe between cats and muffler, run individual pipes (duals) from cats to a dual in/dual out muffler, cut out resonators.
B) Keep Y pipe and just swap the muffler (single in/dual out), and cut out resonators

Last edited:

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently have a 17 RCSB with factory Y, Super 10 single in/dual out, no resonators and 5” tips.

HAD a 2004 RCSB Sport with Hemi and had true duals with H pipe and two Super 44s, before the 44’s I had two 12” bullet mufflers.

Comparison - the true duals lost a ton of back pressure that I could only correct with a programmer. Bullets were louder than the 44’s, wish I’d done two 10s on that one.

Current setup on the 17 - I feel this is just as loud as the two bullets were but it’s much deeper and I still have back pressure.

I am inclined to believe that you’ll get better exhaust flow with dual in dual out but may lose back pressure. Single in dual out will save some coin. I’ll try to get a decent video if that will help.

cant comment on codes, never an issue in my 04 but that’s obviously a very different truck.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Leave the Y pipe unless you are doing lots of power mods for real power.

Keep the back pressure the factory Y provides.

JMO

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are a couple clips of stock cats, stock Y, Super 10 single in dual out, no resonators. On a regular cab so not sure if length of pipe and location of muffler alters sound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca