Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow on 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Super 40 (8530452) installed on my truck, noticeable idle, sounds fantastic when you put your foot into it, but cruising or going down the interstate, you can listen to music or carry on a conversation just fine.

I think the flowmasters sound better idling or cruising through a parking lot than they do at WOT... the intimidation factor is just perfect. If I'm parked anywhere and fire it up heads will turn. Not because it's obnoxiously loud, but because it sounds like an American V8 should.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the flowmasters sound better idling or cruising through a parking lot than they do at WOT... the intimidation factor is just perfect. If I'm parked anywhere and fire it up heads will turn. Not because it's obnoxiously loud, but because it sounds like an American V8 should.
I agree.
When I fire mine up using the remote start at 5;30am,.....it is stupid loud!!!! Kind of reminds me of the old school muscle car sound actually. It's especially loud during the cooler months.
I love it.

ChrisChen74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I have a Flowmaster Outlaw on my 16 Sport and it sounds great, the only gripe I have is when your cruising around 1300rpm with the Eco on it does sound a little droney but I read that if you add a Pedal Commander it will fix that.

mlehn5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have Flowmaster Super 44's on my 2015 5.7 and love the sound. had a shop install because holding the pipe tips in place is an artform....mpg increase was small but nice and the sound way better.

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 1998
Engine
5.9 Gas & 5.9 Diesel
I have a set of Flowmasters on my Dodge 360 and you could not ask for a better sounding exhaust note. CAT was also removed. Installed one of those devices that tricks the OBC into thinking its still there. Performance is great!
But in reality, any good performance muffler is going to better than the OEM mufflers which are highly restrictive to flow.

Jarrett Lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure you look into coatings if you don't want rust. My flowmaster cat back system rusted badly within the first 6 months. Not sure how long the thin pipes and welds will last at this rate.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
had a shop install because holding the pipe tips in place is an artform...

This right here! Sure, you can do your plumbing, taxes and Zen gardening, but why unless you absolutely have to (or enjoy doing it)? A local shop welded my Borla ProXS on my Reb and the tips are perfect in every dimension. There's no way I could've done as good a job, so the install cost was well worth it.

TXCOMT

Reactions: U&A

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Flowmaster Outlaw on my 16 Sport and it sounds great, the only gripe I have is when your cruising around 1300rpm with the Eco on it does sound a little droney but I read that if you add a Pedal Commander it will fix that.
OR,....you could just put it in 8th gear using the -/+ gear buttons on the steering wheel bypassing the MDS.
Sounds killer when downshifting. Sometimes I get little pops and burbles. lol

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Magnaflo 22" with single exhaust is slightly louder than stock, better MPG and acceleration and sounds great when you put your foot in it. Just right IMO.

Jay1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OR,....you could just put it in 8th gear using the -/+ gear buttons on the steering wheel bypassing the MDS.
Sounds killer when downshifting. Sometimes I get little pops and burbles. lol

Yup, this is what I do. :D

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Make sure you look into coatings if you don't want rust. My flowmaster cat back system rusted badly within the first 6 months. Not sure how long the thin pipes and welds will last at this rate.

My flowmaster rusted out too, but it wasn't in 6 months it was 5 years and in Michigan (lots of moisture and salt).

RAM 2500 NEWBIE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a good argument for the cat back system on a 2017 2500? Does it give that much more performance/throaty sound? If I understand right, the stock pipes are the same size and and a Flowmaster muffler is about 1/3 the price of the cat back system.

Thanks

Joshua Thiessen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ****** blackheart series (single side exit) sounds really good on my 17 outdoorsman and its 304 ss for a really good price. Some drone at startup but goes away once some heat gets into the system

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just as a note,

My mufflex with the magnaflow on my 6.4 is probably around 6 months old and it is finally getting a little louder from the packing settling in.

I still wish i got the solo proformance muffler delete. But it was not released when i got my mufflex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon Cannon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am running flowmaster 40s on my 2014 5.7 and absolutely love the sound. Not to loud when crushing around, but when you hammer down on it good lord the sound is nice. Running a k&n blackhawk intake with it as well. When both are sounding off damn it sounds mean!!

squishypants

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the full catback flowmaster American Thunder on my 2011 charger and love it no complaints what so ever. I just put on the flowmaster direct bolt on Outlaw muffler on my 2016 ram over the weekend and am extremely happy with the sound and for $277 the price can't be beat.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Running borla ProXS. Debating lately whether to run a super 44 for the deep tone

Last edited: