Flowmaster flow fx vs magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eforceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

So I'm in need of a exhaust change. Currently on my 2013 ram 5.7 supercharged, I'm running arh long tubes with a catless y pipe. 3 inch to a single flowmaster super 10 which duals out to stock tailpipes with resonators deleted.

I had a catalytic converter go bad, so I chopped them out and retuned the truck. I didn't believe how much of a difference the 2 little cats made in sound, it's just insane loud now. I tried swapping out the super 10 to a corsa setup but it was still just insane loud and too raspy. So the flowmaster went back on.

Now I'm looking at swapping to a 18 inch magnaflow setup possibly with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator. A shop here in town I priced out the 18 inch maggy also recommended the 18 inch flowmaster flow fx. They look very similar overall in terms of them design. I just don't know how much difference in sound there is between the 2. All I know is the flowmaster is over half the price and seems to be identical?

If anyone has any insite on them I would appreciate it. Or any other recommendations on mufflers for a catless truck with longtubes. I Don't want insane raspy loud but just something to make a little noise and good deep throaty tone.

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 2 cents is I had a Flowmaster on my Grand Cherokee but they seem to rust out after about two years. Granted I'm in Canada and lots of winter stuff does happen. I've since got my 2019 Ram and swapped the stock muffler for the Magnaflow a little over a year ago. Other than the muffler my exhaust is stock but it sounds awesome

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Long tubes and no cats is hard to tame, at least it was on my last truck. Magnaflow type mufflers didn't help much for me, even with 2 back to back. I'd look for a single, large bodied muffler, similar to a borla pro xs. Another option I'd try out based on previous experience is a black widow venom 300. Should be similar in size to a Flowmaster 50, but should be quieter and have minimal to no drone. I ran a venom 250 on a tundra. The 250 is similar to a Flowmaster 40, but was much quieter, I'd say nearly flow 50/70 series quiet, but had zero drone. That truck had stock cats and no manifolds though.

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

So I'm in need of a exhaust change. Currently on my 2013 ram 5.7 supercharged, I'm running arh long tubes with a catless y pipe. 3 inch to a single flowmaster super 10 which duals out to stock tailpipes with resonators deleted.

I had a catalytic converter go bad, so I chopped them out and retuned the truck. I didn't believe how much of a difference the 2 little cats made in sound, it's just insane loud now. I tried swapping out the super 10 to a corsa setup but it was still just insane loud and too raspy. So the flowmaster went back on.

Now I'm looking at swapping to a 18 inch magnaflow setup possibly with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator. A shop here in town I priced out the 18 inch maggy also recommended the 18 inch flowmaster flow fx. They look very similar overall in terms of them design. I just don't know how much difference in sound there is between the 2. All I know is the flowmaster is over half the price and seems to be identical?

If anyone has any insite on them I would appreciate it. Or any other recommendations on mufflers for a catless truck with longtubes. I Don't want insane raspy loud but just something to make a little noise and good deep throaty tone.
I installed the flowmaster 717900 about 2 years ago on my ‘17 Laramie. I rarely use the cut-out anymore, but in the closed position, it sounds great! Easy install in the driveway.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i’d go with a stock spot exhaust. on my last truck i had LTs with high flow cats and went through 2 magnaflows i was about to go back to the stock muffler when i sold it

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My otherwise stock 2012 Ram Hemi had stock exhaust and resonator removed and replaced with a Flowmaster Flow FX 71249 and was not happy at all. WAY too quiet and had a drone regardless. I returned that and got a dynomax race bullet(24222) and WOW it is awesome. Exactly what I was looking for and when cruising/light or off the pedal no drone like the FX had. Now granted other than the exhaust I am stock but in my mind that Flow FX is just too quiet. Had it on less than 2 weeks lol. Again no other resonator and other than the exhaust swap and resonator delete is stock.

OP
OP
E

Eforceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long tubes and no cats is hard to tame, at least it was on my last truck. Magnaflow type mufflers didn't help much for me, even with 2 back to back. I'd look for a single, large bodied muffler, similar to a borla pro xs. Another option I'd try out based on previous experience is a black widow venom 300. Should be similar in size to a Flowmaster 50, but should be quieter and have minimal to no drone. I ran a venom 250 on a tundra. The 250 is similar to a Flowmaster 40, but was much quieter, I'd say nearly flow 50/70 series quiet, but had zero drone. That truck had stock cats and no manifolds though.
Appreciate the advice, so did some more research today as well as called around to a few of the local muffler shops. One answer I seemed to keep finding is that the borla pro xs really isn't all the quiet of a muffler since it's a straight through design too. No one around me had a venom 300 in stock and it sounds like they are only a single in/out option. The venom 250 comes si/do so it may be worth a shot. Other option I've looked at is a 50 series delta flow but I can't find a ton of info on actual volume, some say they are still too loud and some say they are super quiet.
Finding the right exhaust can just be a painful experience lol. Overall volume isn't a huge concern, I just can't stand the raspiness, or the "rapping?" Noise you get between 1500 and 2500. I just want a good overall tone. I'm open to straight through or chambered as the trucks lifted and not a race truck, the blower is just to offset the power loss of big tires. The power loss I may get from a chambered muffler isn't a huge concern. I just want to start my truck and drive it and be like "damn that sounds good"

OP
OP
E

Eforceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i’d go with a stock spot exhaust. on my last truck i had LTs with high flow cats and went through 2 magnaflows i was about to go back to the stock muffler when i sold it
I've heard a truck with catless longtubes and the stock sport muffler and I just can't say I was a fan. To me all I could hear was the header noise and not much for actual exhaust tone. Maybe it was just me though

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I've heard a truck with catless longtubes and the stock sport muffler and I just can't say I was a fan. To me all I could hear was the header noise and not much for actual exhaust tone. Maybe it was just me though
i respect that!

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Why not try the direct fit muffler from flo-pro? I believe that the p/n is 2511

SixAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the flowmaster cat back exhaust on my Silverado and it was loud and droned.
When we bought the Ram the wife said ”no flowmasters” so we opted for the Borla Touring cat back exhaust, it’s not the loudest Borla makes but after a couple hundred mile road trip we love it, sounds great and no drone, zero, nada, any speed any gear.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Appreciate the advice, so did some more research today as well as called around to a few of the local muffler shops. One answer I seemed to keep finding is that the borla pro xs really isn't all the quiet of a muffler since it's a straight through design too. No one around me had a venom 300 in stock and it sounds like they are only a single in/out option. The venom 250 comes si/do so it may be worth a shot. Other option I've looked at is a 50 series delta flow but I can't find a ton of info on actual volume, some say they are still too loud and some say they are super quiet.
Finding the right exhaust can just be a painful experience lol. Overall volume isn't a huge concern, I just can't stand the raspiness, or the "rapping?" Noise you get between 1500 and 2500. I just want a good overall tone. I'm open to straight through or chambered as the trucks lifted and not a race truck, the blower is just to offset the power loss of big tires. The power loss I may get from a chambered muffler isn't a huge concern. I just want to start my truck and drive it and be like "damn that sounds good"
The borla Part# 40349 is a 19" case muffler, so it's going to be quieter than a 14" case. Also should be a near direct swap for a dual exhaust truck. I had the 14" case pro xs on my outdoorsman with single exhaust and it sounded damn good without being too loud. I feel the 19" should get you close to where you want to be. Here's a few videos to give you an idea of noise levels.
The pro xs does a good job of knocking down noise levels and producing a quality sound.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i think in this application a large multi chamber muffler would be good. all the turns and deflections the gases have to go through should cut down on the rapping, straight pipe ringing sounds

or a turbo style muffler. im not a fan but it should quiet down everything you are hearing
example

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Flowmaster 40’s on my 74 Vette & Borla XS on my Hemi. BORLA growls nicely.