Fluid in the driveway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
spot appeared yesterday. Made a decent size puddle.

Can you guys help me with what this is?
I looked under the truck and its coming from a nipple on a hose by the driver side wheel. Has a heavy oil mechanical smell if that makes sense.

In the last photo you can see the white nipple that is leaking the fluid.

Thanks guys.

A94A7DD5-D8BF-4BD6-9624-A26725B47D11.jpeg

F6712290-4216-4211-B1D7-6F7CBE95DFFD.jpeg

CE5784A6-BB80-4A7B-A5A8-BCE8ED581AB6.jpeg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm going to take a guess that is breather tube for your front axle.
With it being white in color, that means water is mixing with oil. You need to address this immediately! Also check your rear axle, and transfer case for water contamination.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to take a guess that is breather tube for your front axle.
With it being white in color, that means water is mixing with oil. You need to address this immediately! Also check your rear axle, and transfer case for water contamination.

^^^^ this

Looks like watered down gear oil coming out of the axle breather. Oochy ouchy.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^ this

Looks like watered down gear oil coming out of the axle breather. Oochy ouchy.

Wow that you for the info! Not to sound stupid but i just power washed the truck. This turned up a day after. Could that have anything to do with it you think?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Any chance you got a little too close to the diff plug? Its just a rubber plug so if you get right on it with a pressure washer it's technically possible to knock it out or have water get through.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So just checked the truck and there is no more fluid leaking.

The larger puddle was the first one made. It looks to me like there was a good amount of water mixed in. The second smaller puddle looks like it has very little water in it. To my uneducated eyes.
Again this showed up after a long power wash although i dont know if that matters.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any chance you got a little too close to the diff plug? Its just a rubber plug so if you get right on it with a pressure washer it's technically possible to knock it out or have water get through.
Im going back out for a second look. I guess i could have. I was so excited to wash the winter salt off i gave it a long bath.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That’s your front axle breather tube. You probably power washed a bunch of water into it.

You need to change your diff fluid and stop power washing the end of the breather.

Seriously, change your diff fluid. Not optional. It is water contaminated now and that’s not good.

You can relocate the end of the breather if you’re mechanically inclined. I moved all of mine to higher ground because I ford water regularly.

There are breather tubes for the front and rear axles, transmission, transfer case and fuel evap system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That may not be what it is, but while you're checking I'd pop them out and check the fluid.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
And this is a great example of why you don’t pressure wash under a vehicle. Regular hose, go for it. Pressure washers can cut things and force water places it wasn’t meant to go.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s your front axle breather tube. You probably power washed a bunch of water into it.

You need to change your diff fluid and stop power washing the end of the breather.

Seriously, change your diff fluid. Not optional. It is water contaminated now and that’s not good.

You can relocate the end of the breather if you’re mechanically inclined. I moved all of mine to higher ground because I ford water regularly.

There are breather tubes for the front and rear axles, transmission, transfer case and fuel evap system.

Its going to my shop tomorrow. I really appreciate the help guys. This forum brings me peace of mind.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The plugs are metal and screw in. Doubt it came in through there.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I'm thinking the thing was gunky to begion with, you pressured wash the bottom of the truck, water got tossed around, after you were done, and the gunk on the plug end came off, on your drive., I doubt you got any water in the axle. woudl check, for piece of mind, if nothing else but would be surprised if any is in there, Not made for water to get in thru that vavle.

dont sweati, get it checked out but no sense worrying about something you cannot un-do.

if there is water, change the fluid out.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I'm thinking the thing was gunky to begion with, you pressured wash the bottom of the truck, water got tossed around, after you were done, and the gunk on the plug end came off, on your drive., I doubt you got any water in the axle. woudl check, for piece of mind, if nothing else but would be surprised if any is in there, Not made for water to get in thru that vavle.

dont sweati, get it checked out but no sense worrying about something you cannot un-do.

if there is water, change the fluid out.

The cap on the breather isn’t a valve. The top of the cap is loosely fixed and designed to keep out splashes only. The OP’s cap has been forced up by the pressure washing. Water definitely got inside. The fluid on the ground appears white because it’s foamed, caused by water contamination. Clean diff fluid doesn’t foam and come out the top of the breather.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The cap on the breather isn’t a valve. The top of the cap is loosely fixed and designed to keep out splashes only. The OP’s cap has been forced up by the pressure washing. Water definitely got inside. The fluid on the ground appears white because it’s foamed, caused by water contamination. Clean diff fluid doesn’t foam and come out the top of the breather.

This. There is no reason for dif fluid to even come out of the cap, or be foamy white.... unless it has water mixed with it.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yep. I’d change it out. It’s a quick simple cheap task. Then you don’t have to worry

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Good info here, where did you relocate the breather tubes to? Any pictures?
Thanks

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2pm appointment to have the diffs and transfer case fluids changed. I’ll let you guys know what has water in it. Also going to extend these breather tubes in the near future and not power washer like a school girl at a car wash

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990