Fluorescent shop loghts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What is the brightest fluorescent bulb? Non LED.
I've got daylight colored lights now and want something brighter. 4' long.

Blue Mule

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Google is your friend brother...lol
What size 4ft? T8 T12??

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The highest T8 I have seen are 3200 Lumens. BUT also depends on what light spectrum U R at Ref Soft light/Daylight, etc.

The highest T12 (old style big tubes) is 5,000 Lumens. Now, just FYI, U can Put T8 bulbs in a T12 fixture, but with that old style ballast in the T12's,, U will burn out those T8 bulbs quick.

ADDED: Kinda looks like LED is the way to go when replacing... IMHO...

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Seems like there was a "Bright White". "Daylight" might be better for human-type eyes tho… Some of the LED's will replace the Fluorescents directly and supposedly last longer and definitely have zero Mercury and Phosphors inside---less hazardous by far.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both T8 & 12 I've got both bulbs

Blue Mule

We used to use bright white only at work. Dont use daylight.
Now its LED 99%

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the brightest fluorescent bulb? Non LED.
I've got daylight colored lights now and want something brighter. 4' long.

Blue Mule
you might have a look at H O output fluorescent lamps with ballast.The H O stands for high output.that's what they call them and the run in very very cold weather no flickering like reg fluorescent do.Also they have one over that type its called> V H O Very High Output lamps and ballast

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both T8 & 12 I've got both bulbs

Blue Mule

TIME fer U to rip down those T-12's and replace with T-8 or LED.

(I am running my "mouth" when I still got (2) T-12's in house. I have replacement fixtures (T-8), just not got put up into ceiling yet).

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The ballast will limit what you can do. That said, what you want to avoid are the common “energy conserving” lamps that are around 32 watts and get a full 40w lamp. The lumens rating tells all. Cool white is designed to best match what you need for human vision.

I hate all things fluorescent myself. A couple more to go and I’ll be all LED.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ballast will limit what you can do. That said, what you want to avoid are the common “energy conserving” lamps that are around 32 watts and get a full 40w lamp. The lumens rating tells all. Cool white is designed to best match what you need for human vision.

I hate all things fluorescent myself. A couple more to go and I’ll be all LED.

BOIRD learned sumthing new this AM. I did not even know there were 40W T8's. I have only seen 32, but I was not looking for 40W. AM I correct in assuming that any T8 fixture can take the 40W bulbs, or are there diff fixtures? FIGURED I would ask the Dumbazz question of the week than look it up. I got things to accomplish, ROFLMALO (Feed dogs/hossies, lol).. Hopefully the Internet PO PO not beat me up fer dumb question.

I just looked on line and saw there are LED T8 bulbs that just plug into yer T8 fixture? Guess BOIRD behind the power curve, feathers getting long...AND some LED require a ballast (direct replacement tubes) and other do not. WISH they would just make up their minds....

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Now I’m not claiming to be an authority on this, as I’ve been out of the business for a while. Maybe there are ballasts that are only sufficient for 32w. Lots of cheap Chinese junk out there these days. However in my experience the ballasts were 40w rated. Then along came the EPA and decided we didn’t need as much light, and they promoted the 32w lamps.

You can still find 40w, but they may be pricey, as the mass market has completely bought into the energy conserving lamps.

For the trivia minded, there’s actually at least 4 levels of FL tubes. Eco, standard, HO (high output), and VHO. Last 2 really only seen in commercial service.

But that’s old tech now.