FNG looking for some headlight help...thanks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

google123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Sup everyone, I am new to your community and I was looking for some advise on some replacement headlights for a 2008 Ram 1500. The truck belongs to my brother and I want to retrofit a pair of headlights for him with nice HID projectors for his birthday.

I already purchased a set from Amazon that were fairly cheap and would have done the job but they were sealed with Permaseal, which is a ***** to bake open. Tried oven multiple times and also heat gun method. 'Twas no go.

I decided to sell those off to a friend who was looking to replace his old faded headlights.

Anyone here have a line on a set of headlights that I can use for a retrofit that are sealed using Butyl instead of the Permaseal crap? Thanks for all your help.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dealt with aftermarket headlights and their constant leaking. I finally bit the bullet and just got stock mopars.

OP
OP
G

google123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Update. I purchased a set of TYC headlights from Amazon. I was successful in baking one of them apart. I haven't started on the other one yet. I did 270 for 18 minutes, started breaking the seal all the way around and put it back in for 2 more additional 10 minute sessions at same temp. The sealent finally broke off all around and stayed on the lens part. The channel on the back side of the lights ended up nice and clean ready for my butyl rope when I get ready to reseal them. I'll probably use a heat gun to heat up the sealent remaining on the lense to clean it off real good. Now I just got to widen out the bulb hole for the D2S projectors I plan on installing.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The perma-seal is a *****. I opened up a set of Gen4 headlights and it took quite a few times in and out of the oven. I used a heat gun and a needle nose set of pliers to clean out the perma-seal from the groove in the headlight bucket afterwards.

I'm planning on retrofitting a set of MLED 2.0's into the headlights of the 2005 Ram I'm going to get for my oldest boy. Same footprint as a Mini D2S projector.