FOB range SUCKS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I have the passive entry system, and my auto start range really sucks. Sometimes it won't catch even from ~100ft away. The other night I was in the change room at the gym, and the truck was no more than 100 feet away, but with 2 walls between, and it didn't start.

Is this normal?

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use to think it was normal, but mine is now starting from greater distances and from within buildings with multiple walls. I think I've just finally learned that the two button pushes need a little time between pushes. I was trying to remote start with two quick pushes of the FOB button. Now I push the FOB button, wait briefly push again and the truck starts.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can always just use your phone to start it.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the proximity system and my god is it bad! I have to be in clear view of my truck and 50ft away for it to work!

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can always just use your phone to start it.

I tried that earlier this week and 4 minutes after sending request my truck still had not started...

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is the downfall to the factory systems. aftermarket ones will easily do 10x the distances. you have to wonder why the factory cant put that technology into theirs.

i use to have a remote start that i could start in a shopping center and i was on the opposite side from my car. the good old days.

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You've got my attention!

RAM has an app for android and I assume ios if anyone still uses that antiquated operating system :).
The problem is they only include a few initial months of service then you have to pay an exorbitant monthly amount to continue service after that. I think the majority of people refuse to do this and I do hope it sends a message for them to lower their ongoing service fees. I used the app - their is quite a delay sometimes lasting up to 5 minutes although a few times it was much better - only 2 minutes or so.

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
I watched an old episode of top gear and they had a bizarre way to increase your remote range, put the remote against your head and push the button. I didn't believe it until I tried it this morning and unbelievably, it works!!

Reactions: jbr

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You've got my attention!

It's the uconect app. It is a paid subscription for 15 a month you can lock and unlock and start and turn off with your phone. You get voice texting and yelp with it. I have it just for the texting ,I have too many customers texting me anymore. I know it's not real cheap. But it's worth it to me. The longest I've waited for my truck to start is 3min. You could always start it early. And you get a notice in the phone app that it received the command.And a email. I have a galaxy s5.

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It's the uconect app. It is a paid subscription for 15 a month you can lock and unlock and start and turn off with your phone. You get voice texting and yelp with it. I have it just for the texting ,I have too many customers texting me anymore. I know it's not real cheap. But it's worth it to me. The longest I've waited for my truck to start is 3min. You could always start it early. And you get a notice in the phone app that it received the command.And a email. I have a galaxy s5.
My 2013 subscription ran out a long time ago. But I still have the text vocal read. It IS pretty cool to have your texts read out.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
FOB starting

Hi. Well, guess I should be envied. lol My problem is that the Fob is "too sensitive". I usually carrying a few other items in my jean pockets or lean over something and "****", the truck is started, locked, or unlocked. Wish there was some way to de activate the fob when I don't need it.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't have a range problem either if I point the remote at the truck I get 300+ ft range

Gill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my first issue with the key FOB range two nights ago. I have always been able to start the truck from quite a distance, distances that surprises me at times, as long as there was a straight line of site between the fob and the truck. However the other night temperatures were in the single digits, like COLD COLD, and I could not get the remote start to work until I was literally one foot from the truck. I actually thought the trucks battery died. The unlock FOB command wasn't even working. It wasn't till I was standing beside the door that the FOBs functions worked. I'm chalking it up to the fridges temps?? I haven't seen an issue since that night with the range, coincidentally temps have increased slightly.

OP
OP
MyOhFive

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
You've got my attention!

The ucconnect system they're talking about isn't available in Canada, for no ******* reason whatsoever. Truly pissed about it. So we're stuck with FOBs

I knew someone would mention the holding it under ur chin trick lol and I don't wanna look like an idiot just to start my truck.

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Aftermarket transmitter and/or receiver/antennae booster- problem solved! Uh...except no one makes one that I know of.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aftermarket transmitter and/or receiver/antennae booster- problem solved! Uh...except no one makes one that I know of.

oh yes they do!

you need one of these

http://www.amazon.com/XpressKit-DBALL2-Databus-Bypass-Module/dp/B00H2PHSY2

and either of these (a remote kit, may be able to fid it cheaper and there are a few different choices)

Python 9752PL 2-Way LC3 RF System w ith XL202 (for use with RXT and RSR Interfaces) at Onlinecarstereo.com

or

smart start (dei)

Viper VSM50BT SmartStart Module

in which i believe the smart start works in canada. these modules cal also be programmed to turn on the heated seats/steering wheel, defroster just like a factory remote start.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ucconnect system they're talking about isn't available in Canada, for no ******* reason whatsoever. Truly pissed about it. So we're stuck with FOBs

I knew someone would mention the holding it under ur chin trick lol and I don't wanna look like an idiot just to start my truck.

Well that's a kick in the ass :flipthebird:

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
oh yes they do!

you need one of these

Amazon.com : XpressKit DBALL2 Databus All Combo Bypass Module : Car Electronics

and either of these (a remote kit, may be able to fid it cheaper and there are a few different choices)

Python 9752PL 2-Way LC3 RF System w ith XL202 (for use with RXT and RSR Interfaces) at Onlinecarstereo.com

or

smart start (dei)

Viper VSM50BT SmartStart Module

in which i believe the smart start works in canada. these modules cal also be programmed to turn on the heated seats/steering wheel, defroster just like a factory remote start.

Interesting, but none are plug & play type longer range transmitters that can take the place of the key fob transmitter and instantly interact with the existing system and wiring, which is what I would want.
"Requires splicing into vehicle's factory wiring"