Fog light lens cracked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
So today I noticed that my 2018 Express has a cracked fog light lens. It was hit by a rock and now has a spider crack across the lens. Ram wants $95 for a replacement but I see rockauto has TYC units for $32. Has anyone replaced the factory type with a aftermarket one other then the LED pods? Would I be better to buy a aftermarket set? If so which one and from who? I have done search on the site but most talk about the pods, I rather have a factory looking one. Thanks for the help guys.

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
My Dad and I were just talking about this today. We each have one cracked on our 16 and 17 Big Horns. I never thought anout going aftermarket with pods. Interested.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you said factory, but I really like the morimoto xb fogs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Norwain

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got some from rock auto, inexpensive, and can’t tell the difference. Old ones were worn out and jiggled around (bad design). A 16 model truck.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know you said factory, but I really like the morimoto xb fogs.

They are completely useless from an output perspective unfortunately. I’ve had mine for a couple of years, and the only reason I haven’t replaced them is because I just don’t have the extra money laying around to do so.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are completely useless from an output perspective unfortunately. I’ve had mine for a couple of years, and the only reason I haven’t replaced them is because I just don’t have the extra money laying around to do so.
Interesting... did you adjust them? It took me about 30minutes to aim them properly... They came out of the box aimed basically straight dowm and were of no help. After adjusting them they worked awesome.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
car-part.com
Factory used parts if you want to stay with the factory look.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting... did you adjust them? It took me about 30minutes to aim them properly... They came out of the box aimed basically straight dowm and were of no help. After adjusting them they worked awesome.

I've adjusted them several times. They are useless, and it is widely known that they are useless. The output is minimal at best. I get more light from my OEM fog lights.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've adjusted them several times. They are useless, and it is widely known that they are useless. The output is minimal at best. I get more light from my OEM fog lights.
Maybe... then again Im running HIDs so its a very small area I was looking to have lit up

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just buy the oe equivalent like the tyc. I replaced the ones on my old truck with them because the factory ones had become so pitted and rough from road debris over the years that they didn't light up much of anything any more. The jobbers looked and mounted the same and I had no fogging or other issues with them.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe... then again Im running HIDs so its a very small area I was looking to have lit up

I'm running HID as well. 45w Hulyx ballasts and 6000k Morimoto bulbs in my TYC headlights. They light up the world.

I bought them initially for additional output and for the color of the light. I thought the OEM halogen fog lights looked horrible with the HIDs. I never cared for the look of the morimotos themselves (look like a black hole in my chrome bumper), and I have been disappointed with the output for a while. Toggling them on and off, there is minimal change in overall light output.

Last edited:

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running HID as well. 45w Hulyx ballasts and 6000k Morimoto bulbs in my TYC headlights. They light up the world.

I bought them initially for additional output and for the color of the light. I thought the OEM halogen fog lights looked horrible with the HIDs. I never cared for the look of the morimotos themselves (look like a black hole in my chrome bumper), and I have been disappointed with the output for a while. Toggling them on and off, there is minimal change in overall light output.
Assuming yours are verticle? I have a 2012 and they are horizontal. I hear the verticle ones are terrible.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Assuming yours are verticle? I have a 2012 and they are horizontal. I hear the verticle ones are terrible.

That could explain why you love them. I do have the verticals.