Fog lights while turning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BighornBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Internal Combustion
Hello All,
I'm a new member having just purchased a 2021 Bighorn. Most of my driving experience is with vehicles from the 2000's so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the new tech. My dealer hasn't been very helpful in answering my questions. Perhaps forum readers might know the answer to some of my basic newbie questions.
For example, the owner's manual says: "If the fog lights are off, one of the fog lights will illuminate depending on the direction in which the vehicle is turning. This will provide increased visibility while turning, depending on the angle of the steering wheel."
Does this really work as described?
I attempted to verify this myself by looking at a reflection of the front of my vehicle while turning and I didn't see any fog light illuminate.
Thanks,
BB

RamGF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I am not mistaken, my fog lights illuminate (left or right) depending on which way I turn, to provide more visibility. As long as you don’t have the fog lights turned on to begin with.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They are called cornering lights, and they work well on my truck. Pretty sure you have to be moving for them to work. You should be able to tell while driving at night on a dark street.

KG5TUD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2019 Bighorn they light whether the fog lights are on or off the cornering lights are great

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello All,
I'm a new member having just purchased a 2021 Bighorn. Most of my driving experience is with vehicles from the 2000's so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the new tech. My dealer hasn't been very helpful in answering my questions. Perhaps forum readers might know the answer to some of my basic newbie questions.
For example, the owner's manual says: "If the fog lights are off, one of the fog lights will illuminate depending on the direction in which the vehicle is turning. This will provide increased visibility while turning, depending on the angle of the steering wheel."
Does this really work as described?
I attempted to verify this myself by looking at a reflection of the front of my vehicle while turning and I didn't see any fog light illuminate.
Thanks,
BB
Yes, they do work. As mentioned above, the fog lights must be off for it to work. If you use the turn signal, the corresponding fog light for that turn signal will illuminate. When not using the turn signal, while driving, when you turn the steering and the angle of the wheel falls between the minimum and maximum angle threshold for the cornering lights, that fog light will illuminate.

Caterpillar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Rebel 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
J'aime ça

cela peut-il le faire avec un rebelle de 2016?

Où alfaobd peut-il le programmer?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
J'aime ça

cela peut-il le faire avec un rebelle de 2016?

Où alfaobd peut-il le programmer?
I doubt it. The only settings I see that you can try are these:
2014 CBC Config I/O: Cornering Lamp Actual Angle- 100 Deg.
2014 CBC Config I/O: Cornering Lamp Not Actual Angle- 40 Deg

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
If you use the turn signal, the corresponding fog light for that turn signal will illuminate.

In my experience, you have to decelerate below a certain speed (not sure of the exact value) before the light will turn on with the turn signal. But it will come on before the steering wheel is turned as you slow down if you have the turn signal on.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In my experience, you have to decelerate below a certain speed (not sure of the exact value) before the light will turn on with the turn signal. But it will come on before the steering wheel is turned as you slow down if you have the turn signal on.
Correct- 25mph or below.

OP
OP
BighornBoy

BighornBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Internal Combustion
Thanks very much for all your explanation and suggestions.
It seems like my "cornering lights" are not working as described, I'll get it checked out and let you know what I find out.

OP
OP
BighornBoy

BighornBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Internal Combustion
Solved! Subsequent testing has revealed that my cornering lights are working as long as it's dark out. My previous tests had all been run during daylight or dusk. Nowhere in the owner's manual does it specify that this feature is only for night time driving.
I apologize for the newbie mistake and again, I appreciate all your comments and suggestions which encouraged me to persevere.

wifi_guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Cool feature! But, why not just run your fog lights 24/7 at night? I feel like I get better light when they are on.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Yes, they do work. As mentioned above, the fog lights must be off for it to work. If you use the turn signal, the corresponding fog light for that turn signal will illuminate. When not using the turn signal, while driving, when you turn the steering and the angle of the wheel falls between the minimum and maximum angle threshold for the cornering lights, that fog light will illuminate.

Hmmm....they must have done it differently with mine, I run my fogs on all of the time and the cornering light comes on....I think it is actually the light under the projector that lights up on mine.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hmmm....they must have done it differently with mine, I run my fogs on all of the time and the cornering light comes on....I think it is actually the light under the projector that lights up on mine.
Not for cornering lights. It’s the fogs only. Do you have these headlights pictured below? If so, they are adaptive, and the projectors actually “look” in the direction of steering wheel input. Completely different feature than the cornering lights. g2UU5G3.jpg

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Yes, I have those headlights....I know they turn with steering and all, what I was referring to was I have noticed whether I have high beams or low beams on, (fog light switch in the on position) that the cornering light always comes on. The fogs don't get any brighter, unless there is another light facing outboard in the fogs. I was thinking the way the cornering light comes on, it might be in a different part of the headlight. I'm going to have someone video it to check, because I can't tell where it is coming from when I'm driving it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat