Fold Flat Floor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are there any options for such? Really, REALLY missing it. I have searched but not found anything for the Gen5 / DT QC.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Nothing that I found. It was very handy for my dog so he could reach the window to stick his head out the window. It was a stretch but it keep him happy and prevented him from getting car sick.

Since nothing was available, I purchased a sheet of hard board insulation at Home Depot. It is OwensCorning Foamular 150 2” bird...cut it to match the floor, threw in 3” dog med mats on top and he is a happy camper. At least until someone comes out with a fold flat floor for the 5th gen.

Joe Lischinsky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am trading my 09 and purchasing a 2020 1500 quad cab this month and wondering the same thing. Have been looking around for fold flat options. Nothing. I am going to remove the fold flat part from my 09 and either build something out of particle board and carpet or purchase a pre molded base that will accept the fold flat dimentions. Will post pics if I do.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do the 5th gen quad cabs not have a flat floor in the back?? The double cabs is totally flat which I like much better than the back floor of my 4th gen

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
There was someone in the Gen 4 group who had pictures and maybe plans for building one out of plywood and piano hinges. Probably in the DIY section---all I can recall is seeing the pictures. It had 2 large sections making up the floor and 1 short section that folded down to support the front edge.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Do the 5th gen quad cabs not have a flat floor in the back?? The double cabs is totally flat which I like much better than the back floor of my 4th gen

Not quite sure of your terminology. This is what I believe is the corporate and generally accepted terms:

Quad Cab - four doors, smallish back seat.
Crew Cab - four doors, pretty much full size back seat.

The 5th Gen QC do have a "relatively" flat floor, but the seat hardware gets in the way. IOW, you do not have access to the full "flat floor" area from the door.

With the 4th Gen, although there was a few less inches of Height, with the fold-flat floor deployed, you had an unrestricted opening - MUCH more practical IMO, there is a good 12" more flat space to put stuff on, with virtually nothing in the way to get there.

5th Gen:
2020-03-03 18.40.57.jpg

4th gen:
6e1d5070b2603a2f5962f57d6d1621e8.jpg

View attachment 197195

Last edited:

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
By double cab, I meant crew cab ( The dealership here calls it a double cab.)

The floor on my 5th gens crew is the same as the second pic you posted with the fold flat floor. My 4th gen had the fold flat floor, it was handy, but cumbersome to use.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
By double cab, I meant crew cab ( The dealership here calls it a double cab.)

A bit confusing, as GM calls the smaller version a Double Cab...

The floor on my 5th gens crew is the same as the second pic you posted with the fold flat floor. My 4th gen had the fold flat floor, it was handy, but cumbersome to use.

Weird.

The second pic is as a 4th Gen Quad Cab with fold flat floor. It was very easy to use.

Would love to have it available on the 5th Gen Quad Cab and not just the Crew.

I am still going to pursue it, as I understand the Longhorn and Limited supposedly have it. If so, it should be able to be added to a "lower class" model. Note: I would not have taken a Longhorn or Limited even if someone paid me double the difference in cost.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To be honest I haven’t seen the rear seat on a quad cab 5th gen. So I wouldn’t know for sure. I’m sure someone will chime in though.

I love the flat floor my crew has though. Much better for putting stuff in

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had the fold flat floor on my 4th gen, and I actually prefer the flat floor on my 2020 crew cab Laramie. The fold flat floor has those stupid cup holders, and things would get caught up on them when sliding things across that area. This doesn't happen in my 5th gen unless I don't remove the rubber floor mats. I never understood why they left the cup holders exposed. I mean, who would be using those?

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I liked the fold flat floor for hauling my dog around. Futher to my post above back in December, see the pictures below:
Pic 1 - I purchased carpet protector from Home Depot and placed it on the bottom of the seats as dog hair gets matted into the carpet fibers after time. It is similar to Cling Wrap but stickier on one side and is made to be adhered and removed from carpet. This layer has been on since November 2019 when I just slapped it on as an experiment and you can see it is starting to peel off so will replace before summer. Home Depot sells in in a roll and there are almost twelve sets of applications you can do with one roll so will last quite a while. And no, when the "dog floor" is removed and the seats are down, you don't see the carpet protector at all.
Pic 2 - I took the insulation board and cut it to fit the floor. It isn't pretty but it works. One sheet gives you enough for two thicknesses high which I glued together into one sheet. I can lift it out and placed in the bed of my truck so it is out of the way when passengers ride in the back seat (I have a topper so the insulation and dog beds are out of the elements when in the bed of the truck).
Pic 3 - Then I lay the first full size dog bed on top of one end of the "insulation floor" (the dog beds are from Sams Club).
Pic 4 - I then lay down the other end of the dog bed in which I took another full size bed but cut the foam down as the cab isn't quite two dog beds wide but roughly 1.5 to 1.7 wide. I just cut the foam to fit and reinserted it into the dog bed. These have zippers on them so easy to cut the foam and also super easy to remove the foam from time to time and throw the bed covers in the washer/dryer...keeps the truck smelling clean 100% of the time.
Pic 5 - The dog loves it and can see out the window for that "tongue in the wind" action. (No more muttering of "This is ********! Should have kept the 2018 with the fold flat floor" as he jumps into the truck.)

Yes, I'm certain once we're through this virus crap that someone will figure out a material to utilize (like a plaster of paris but much lighter) that can be poured into a sheet of visqueen/plastic sheeting that fits the area (and is removeable) that will work much better. In fact, I'll probably be the first to buy it but in the meantime this does the job and the dog has never complained once.

Pic 1.JPG

Pic 2.JPG

Pic 3.JPG

Pic 4.JPG

Pic 5.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I liked the fold flat floor for hauling my dog around. Futher to my post above back in December, see the pictures below:

That looks like a pretty good solution for your situation. However it falls flat (pun intended) in two key areas compared to the DS/Gen4 option for me.

• Storage space below the floor. I actually miss this the most. By far. I maybe probably would have gotten RamBoxes if I'd realized this.
  • Stowability. I don't have a topper. I used to have a tonneau cover, and assumed it would transfer over, but it didn't. Even if it did, I'm too much of a whiner to deal with hauling stuff out and putting it somewhere else. I just was spoiled - the Gen4 option was near perfect.
Maybe i just need my '79 SCSB (350, Quadra-Jet, 3-sp +Granny) back for a few days to appreciate what I currently have. Just yesterday I say this story (surely not true, but gets the point across):

A poor man lived with his wife and six children in a very small one-room house. They were always getting in each other's way and there was so little space they could hardly breathe!
Finally the man could stand it no more. He talked to his wife and asked her what to do. "Go see the rabbi," she told him, and after arguing a while, he went.

The rabbi greeted him and said, "I see something is troubling you. Whatever it is, you can tell me."

And so the poor man told the rabbi how miserable things were at home with him, his wife, and the six children all eating and living and sleeping in one room. The poor man told the rabbi, "We're even starting to yell and fight with each other. Life couldn't be worse."

The rabbi thought very deeply about the poor man's problem. Then he said, "Do exactly as I tell you and things will get better. Do you promise?"

"I promise," the poor man said.

The rabbi then asked the poor man a strange question. "Do you own any animals?"

"Yes," he said. "I have one cow, one goat, and some chickens."

"Good," the rabbi said. "When you get home, take all the animals into your house to live with you."

The poor man was astonished to hear this advice from the rabbi, but he had promised to do exactly what the rabbi said. So he went home and took all the farm animals into the tiny one-room house.

The next day the poor man ran back to see the rabbi. "What have you done to me, Rabbi?" he cried. "It's awful. I did what you told me and the animals are all over the house! Rabbi, help me!"

The rabbi listened and said calmly, "Now go home and take the chickens back outside."

The poor man did as the rabbi said, but hurried back again the next day. "The chickens are gone, but Rabbi, the goat!" he moaned. "The goat is smashing up all the furniture and eating everything in sight!"
The good rabbi said, "Go home and remove the goat and may God bless you."

So the poor man went home and took the goat outside. But he ran back again to see the rabbi, crying and wailing. "What a nightmare you have brought to my house, Rabbi! With the cow it's like living in a stable! Can human beings live with an animal like this?"

The rabbi said sweetly, "My friend, you are right. May God bless you. Go home now and take the cow out of your house." And the poor man went quickly home and took the cow out of the house.

The next day he came running back to the rabbi again. "O Rabbi," he said with a big smile on his face, "we have such a good life now. The animals are all out of the house. The house is so quiet and we've got room to spare!"

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I built a simple one, quick and dirty. 1 sheet of 1/2" plywood and 2 piano hinges. Added some old scrap carpet and 1X2 edge guards. It folds up and slides out easily if needed.100_2178.JPG 100_2179.JPG

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
That looks like a pretty good solution for your situation. However it falls flat (pun intended) in two key areas compared to the DS/Gen4 option for me.

• Storage space below the floor. I actually miss this the most. By far. I maybe probably would have gotten RamBoxes if I'd realized this.
  • Stowability. I don't have a topper. I used to have a tonneau cover, and assumed it would transfer over, but it didn't. Even if it did, I'm too much of a whiner to deal with hauling stuff out and putting it somewhere else. I just was spoiled - the Gen4 option was near perfect.
Maybe i just need my '79 SCSB (350, Quadra-Jet, 3-sp +Granny) back for a few days to appreciate what I currently have. Just yesterday I say this story (surely not true, but gets the point across):
No doubt I would prefer to have my fold flat floor from my 2018 Ram as it was a lot handier but this will do in a pinch until someone comes out with a great solution.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963