Formerly pioneer 6600 nex. Now Kenwood DMX1057xr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You mentioned that the idatalink is blinking twice. This video explains the 2 possible causes

Does the hu power up at all?

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anyone know if the NEX 6600 with the iDatalink will work with truck that has the single zone ATC mod done? I remember reading in a different thread about one of the radios not liking a truck with single zone ATC

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Anyone know if the NEX 6600 with the iDatalink will work with truck that has the single zone ATC mod done? I remember reading in a different thread about one of the radios not liking a truck with single zone ATC

Wouldn't see why not. The maestro just pulls info the same way the 5.0/8.4 radio's do. Not sure if single/dual zone is and option when programming. Even if it causes a issue I've heard idatalink is good about sending patches to fix issues

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And we are powered finally. Somehow it requires every single screw to be installed or it doesn't work.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ended up running to store and grabbing another camera, so I'll have front and rear. Have them partially wired at least on the deck side still have to finish them under the truck and mount. But the unit us up and running, got android auto working, the JBL Nanobass working, etc..

Only new issue is now I'm throwing a code U1267 code. Which searching looks like it should go away on its own in a few days. Or try to clear it from the Maestro settings.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IIRC That code is transmission switch. Make sure your plug is seated properly. Check all the HVAC plugs as well. Make sure everything is operating as it should. Assuming they are, just clear it with the maestro.

Congrats btw! :)

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IIRC That code is transmission switch. Make sure your plug is seated properly. Check all the HVAC plugs as well. Make sure everything is operating as it should. Assuming they are, just clear it with the maestro.

Congrats btw! :)

I'll have to get some pics up. I noticed when I put the dash cover back on one of the plugs wasn't wanting to fully seat I'm assuming its the issue. Was bottom lower left which would be near the tranny switch. Hopefully the clip isn't broke. They came out pretty easy when it undid them.

I'm trying to only tear it apart one more time. So I want to make sure I have everything ready.

1. I need to bypass I forgot and hooked up the brake bypass so it was giving me issues yesterday forcing me to hit parking brake even though I was in park to set up android auto. Seems with Kenwood research I can just ground it to the deck on a Kenwood. Assuming that works or I could just buy a 10 dollar plug on Amazon as well.

2. When I tried to hook up HDMI I tried 3 diff HDMI's and none fit. Kenwood made the box small to try to force you to buy their HDMI. So I do think I need get the actual Kenwood one if I want that hooked up.

3. I want to make sure I have the Cameras tied into the HU correctly. Was planning on doing the non taillight method as I'd rather be powered whenever I want not just when reverse switch is on. I tied the reverse cam line into the reverse wire, but for the one I'm using as a front cam I just tied to the ignition wire as I want it to have power when I turn on the ignition. Assuming that will work? The instructions didn't lay out any plans for doing a front cam it was all reverse. I'll prob just run the front cam to the license plate area.

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I too am going this route... any gotchas since you've installed the head-unit? Love to see a final install pic man... there isn't much out there installed on a Ram (yet)!

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too am going this route... any gotchas since you've installed the head-unit? Love to see a final install pic man... there isn't much out there installed on a Ram (yet)!

I love the head unit. Talked my buddy into buying the JVC version for his 2019 as well. He got the JVC one because the Kenwood was out of stock locally. They are pretty similar, use the same buttons etc, since JVC and Kenwood are the same company now.

The head unit uses miracast for screen mirror. I had a Google pixel which doesn't support miracast so I had to swap to a Samsung. Screen mirror works great now. Only issue I've had is after the last android auto update it takes two times to connect wireless. It used to connect automatically when I started the truck, now I have to click connect, it fails, I click again and it works. I think the issue is on android though. Its something to do with the "handshake" between the deck wifi (deck uses its own wifi signal not bluetooth for AA) and android auto. Wired always works right away, plus you get charging at the same time then.

Install wise it took me awhile but only because I didn't know what I was doing. Its a lot of wires with idatalink. If you get the exact Ram specific instructions from Idatalink it tells you which wires you need or don't need, that helped a lot as I was trying to hook up crap I didn't need using general instructions which show every wire being used. For the 17 ram I didn't need like 3 or so of the idatalink cables.

Also read the directions. I sort of skipped through them thinking I could just do it. There is a plastic cover piece that doesn't look like it would do anything. I couldn't figure out why the screen wouldn't turn on. It specifically says in the instructions you MUST INSTALL COVER for screen to turn on. This includes the 6 screws that hold the screen on. Probably wasted like 2 hours trying to plug screen in without the cover to test it. Finally read instructions, installed all the screws and cover and it came on.

Also there are extra brackets that come in the box to extend if your dash were too tight. You don't need them on a Ram so you can ignore them unless you want you HU to stick out an extra few inches. That section of the instructions is a bit confusing as they show you how to install the extension, but don't mention they have it preset to not use an extension. So I was confused do I install the brackets or not.

Oh and don't forget to ignore the instructions and wire the parking brake wire from the deck to the chassis of the Head unit. This makes it think your parking brake is always on so now you use screen mirror and drive or set android auto up without the parking brake on. I just crimped on a circular crimp and put a screw into one of the HU holes. Some install shops wont do this liability wise if you have it installed by them. The shop I bought the HU from told me to do this but said they wouldn't do it themselves.

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Awesome man... been looking around at the install and I think I'm just going to have the damn thing installed locally for me. I don't think I wanna deal with the headache! hahaha!

Few more questions:
1. Do you have any pics of the final install? I'd love to get a better idea of how big it is in between the heating vents...
2. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L -- I wanted to make 100% sure that I won't be losing any of the features / menus that the truck came with stock... these *****'n things are like computers that run all kinds of stuff in these trucks -- and I wanna make sure I can still change all the same settings that I could with the stock unit. Are there just apps on the UI that show up or something that match your specific vehicle?

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome man... been looking around at the install and I think I'm just going to have the damn thing installed locally for me. I don't think I wanna deal with the headache! hahaha!

Few more questions:
1. Do you have any pics of the final install? I'd love to get a better idea of how big it is in between the heating vents...
2. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L -- I wanted to make 100% sure that I won't be losing any of the features / menus that the truck came with stock... these *****'n things are like computers that run all kinds of stuff in these trucks -- and I wanna make sure I can still change all the same settings that I could with the stock unit. Are there just apps on the UI that show up or something that match your specific vehicle?

I'll grab a pic. It fits right to vent edge but not too far over. I think feature wise you should be pretty solid with idatalink but I just have an express so there weren't that many features to add.

Also there is a firmware update from Kenwood in December. So depending on when you buy it may or may not have it already. Its pretty easy update with a USB

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here you go man. Sorry screen is so large I'd have to go to the back seat to get a good straight on pic haha. It looks like its covering vent on the right side, but really its only covering maybe a 1/4 inch or so. Plus it sticks an inch or two off the dash so its not really an issue.

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Looks great man! It seems to fit in that spot rather nicely!

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks great man! It seems to fit in that spot rather nicely!

Yeah for sure. It fits great and looks even better in person. Like I said its so big its hard to get a good angle pic from the drivers seat

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It sounds like there are issues with using the Android products currently... but I'm wanting this unit for the wireless Apple CarPlay... have you by chance tried using that yet???

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok, so the digitizer on my 8.4 has finally gone crazy. Selecting all kinds of random buttons. Anyway, I just ordered the 1037S and full install parts from Crutchfield. I also have 3 kids that would probably not mind being able to watch a movie while we drive somewhere. That being said, is there any way to rewire the park brake wire? Back in the day, I could just ground the wire and done.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds like there are issues with using the Android products currently... but I'm wanting this unit for the wireless Apple CarPlay... have you by chance tried using that yet???

My buddy with the JVC 10 inch uses carplay. He hasn't complained.