Forward colision avoidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoejef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all just purchased 2021 Laramie and wondering if you could fill me in on it. I have tried all 3 settings but it does not seem to be working. I mean nothing no warnings no braking. I did take it to the dealership and they checked for codes and found none.
Any replies much appreciated.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Usually only warns you if your about to collide with something. I think it uses closing speed and distance to determine when to function. I also believe it does not function below 10 mph. But I could be full of sh**, too.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There was someone else who had issue with it not working few weeks back.

You didn't really give any details though. I can tell you when I first got my truck, my grass was setting it off. Then I turned off all those dumb things.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I recall someone saying to put a cardboard box in your driveway and drive up like it's not there and see if your system kicks in. Probably the safest way to test it. Good luck.

Red

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The OP raises an interesting question, how do you test the collision avoidance system? Asking a dealer to look for codes is fruitless, you would have a panel indicator lamp if so. Then you have to consider the possibility that the designers of the system didn't put in a DTC hook that would signal trouble at every possible place which could cause a no-op.

How do you test it? Well, mine gets a regular workout simply driving around in SE Michigan. It seems too quick to trigger at times but it did save me once, it reacted faster than I did. I understand the system uses a camera located on the windshield opposite the rear view mirror.

The OP is in Flordia, from my many visits to the wonderful state, I've noticed dangerous driving parallels Michigan in and around the metro areas.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I felt it kick in on my 23 when I was closing on a car that was slowing to make a right turn in front of me. I was braking lightly but being on a 2- lane access road my intention was to swerve a little to the left to clear him if he was still moving slow. The RAM couldn’t foresee my plan so it applied the brakes for me.

Mine beeps and bongs at me all the time. Making a left turn from the outside lane with 2 lanes turning left- it always thinks I’m turning left in front of a car to the left of me and beeps loudly at me which never fails to startle.

Schu2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all just purchased 2021 Laramie and wondering if you could fill me in on it. I have tried all 3 settings but it does not seem to be working. I mean nothing no warnings no braking. I did take it to the dealership and they checked for codes and found none.
Any replies much appreciated.
I am having the same issue, 2021 RAM Laramie

OP
OP
H

hoejef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry my notifications were turned off, so 2x to the dealer and no codes but they did do a physical test and agreed its not working. I also took its to a windshield shop to test and celebrate the camera and it works as should. At this point I opened a case with Ram customer care and will see where that goes, I have a feeling not so far.

OP
OP
H

hoejef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
schu have you done anything about it

Schu2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I took it to the dealer and they said the had the camera calibrated and checked for codes but It still doesn't work. Not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to do anything that would develop a bad relationship between me and the dealer. I was a Service Director at a GM Dealership for 38 years, and when someone would complain to GM, well then it just came back around to the Dealership. Don't want to be that complainer.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if i leave the tail gate down and try to back up....surprise!...those brakes lock up. If i try to back up with a door open....surprise!...brakes lock up....if i approach the wall in the garage too close or fast...surprise!..brakes lock up.

The card board box test is the best way to check that out.

OP
OP
H

hoejef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, fast-forward collision is working (Lol) I just had the same experience as DanAr's post above, so it is working.
I had tried just about everything short of running into a tree. My wifes Telluride will brake for a duck fart so I guess my expectations were a little high.

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Hi, this thing happened with me and posted all story here:

In short, the FSFCW+ does not see trees, cardboxes or people, it sees vehicles. To activate, your speed compared to the car in front of you should be high enough a certain value which I don't know, I know that because mine mostly activates when the vehicle in front of me is stopped in a red light or it is braking to turn right on a driveway, and I did not touch the brakes until it is very close, like 15 meters away.

If your speed compared to the vehicle in front is not too much, the FCW will not activate and you will rear the vehicle in front. My truck does not have the front parking sensors and the Adaptive Cruise Control, which I think can mitigate these situations. Your wife's Telluride has, so that's why it reacts to.