Found out my 3500 has a dirty carfax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwatkins176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******
According to Carfax My 2011 Ram 3500 was purchased new by a commercial company in 2011 from my local dealership. Looks like this company did most their service at this dealership. According to CarFax the the truck was In a major front end collisions with structural damage in May of 2013 and it was fixed in Aug 2013. The truck was sold back to the dealership in May of 2014 and I bought the truck in June of 2014. This accident was not reported to carfax until July 2014 after I bought it. I found out all this when I went talk to a different dealer about downsizing to a Rebel.

I feel like the dealership did know or should have known the entire front of the truck had been replaced and there was structural damage. There was no record of air bag deployment. I have contacted an attorney, but being the holidays I am waiting to hear back. I will not mention the dealer yet because I should give them a chance to make this right. The trade value of my truck was more then cut in half because of this Car Fax.

The Truck while having its minor problems has been fine. It has been chewing through tires about every 30k miles but I figured that was the weight.

What is your opinion on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
According to Carfax My 2011 Ram 3500 was purchased new by a commercial company in 2011 from my local dealership. Looks like this company did most their service at this dealership. According to CarFax the the truck was In a major front end collisions with structural damage in May of 2013 and it was fixed in Aug 2013. The truck was sold back to the dealership in May of 2014 and I bought the truck in June of 2014. This accident was not reported to carfax until July 2014 after I bought it. I found out all this when I went talk to a different dealer about downsizing to a Rebel.

I feel like the dealership did know or should have known the entire front of the truck had been replaced and there was structural damage. There was no record of air bag deployment. I have contacted an attorney, but being the holidays I am waiting to hear back. I will not mention the dealer yet because I should give them a chance to make this right. The trade value of my truck was more then cut in half because of this Car Fax.

The Truck while having its minor problems has been fine. It has been chewing through tires about every 30k miles but I figured that was the weight.

What is your opinion on the matter?

Can't say much about the legal matters, but 30k mileage on the tires is terrible provided they're a quality brand. Lots of 1 tons getting much more life out of them then that and towing heavy. My opinion on structural damage is once its wrecked, it'll never be the same. Constantly chasing vibrations and alignment issues. If 1 bracket is out just a few MM's that can wreck havoc on your truck.

I would get out of that thing as soon a possible if I were you, if you have the the legal side to back you then even better

OP
OP
N

nwatkins176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******
Everything I say from here on is just me spit balling because I don’t know anything about the legal side, but if I find out the dealer did the repair, this seems cut and dry fraud to me. Not sure

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You have the option of a vehicle history report before you buy. You opted out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nwatkins176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******
Vehicle history report didn’t show the accident. The accident wasn’t reported to carfax till after I bought it

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Vehicle history report didn’t show the accident. The accident wasn’t reported to carfax till after I bought it

When did you buy the vehicle? When does the accident repair appear? What date does it say the accident damage was repaired?

I've bought a lot of cars and had people do some insane things however unless something is done off the books vin history reports are marginally accurate.

OP
OP
N

nwatkins176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******
Says right on the car fax when the accident was reported. Almost 1 year after the accident and 1 month after I bought it. Does it always take 11 months for the accident to hit the car fax

OP
OP
N

nwatkins176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******
Accident happened 5/2013
Repair 8/2013
Purchased 6/2014
Accident and repair Reported to Carfax 7/2014

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It can take a while sometimes but it should be quicker than that. In the past any accident I've been in was reported on to the Carfax almost instantly once insurance was involved.

Does it list who did the body work?

OP
OP
N

nwatkins176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******
Nope. That should be easy to track down. I’m going to let a lawyer deal with all that. The vehicle was purchased new from the same dealer I bought it used at. Looks like most of the maintenance was done at the same dealer too.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Unfortunately, you’re boned. There’s nothing for the dealer to make right, there is a high level of liklihood they knew nothing about it. And even if they did, on a used car they are under no obligation to tell you. There is no fraud here. Is it ******? Of course. But legally there’s nothing you can do about it and throwing money at a lawyer will only financially drain you with no positive outcome at the end because I can promise you that whatever lawyer you have, theirs is better.

Thomas Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate to say it but it sounds like you got hosed. Probably won' be able to do anything about it. I guarantee the dealer isn' going to admit to anything. When I buy used always look it over on a lift, there is always a sign of repair especially that major.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You may have specific State laws that require disclosure but if that were here in MA there was no "fraud" involved. The dealer, even if the salesman bolted on the new front end himself has no reason or requirement to tell you anything about the accident. You had every right to bring the truck to a garage of your choice to have it inspected. Sorry, but most likely don't have a leg to stand on.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If your biggest beef is the tire wear, I'd take the truck to the best truck capable alignment shop in the area and have them give it the once over. They should be able to ferret out anything out of wack in the frame or suspension. Don't cheap out at a shop that will just do a two wheel alignment and be happy that both wheels point in generally the same direction.

The good shops can help. If there are issues then take the paperwork back to the dealership. If they aren't helpful get an estimate on the fix and take everything to small claims court.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Just a guess but I think the beef is he went to trade it in and got dinged on trade value for an accident he had no idea happened.
Could a better deal have been made if the repairs were disclosed up front?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Might vary from state to state, but if there is frame damage, he may have a case.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Might vary from state to state, but if there is frame damage, he may have a case.
Unless he has a copy of vehicle history report dated from the time he bought it proving he was provided false information he doesn't really have a leg to stand on, even then repairs are made every day without reporting it and it is legal.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Unless he has a copy of vehicle history report dated from the time he bought it proving he was provided false information he doesn't really have a leg to stand on, even then repairs are made every day without reporting it and it is legal.

Different laws in different states. As I posted, I believe in NJ it is illegal to sell a vehicle with frame damage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990