Fram ultra synthetic oil filter new style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone, I am new here from Ontario,Ca,my Ram is 2019,5.7 hemi classic with 8 speed tranny, I am using shell rotella full synthetic oil 5w20 with fram ultra synthetic oil filter xg10060 the last 2times,first 10 kms was the original dealer oil&filter,now I am.just about to hit 30.000km and so far so good,truck is smooth, quiet, no problems at all, one store put the fram oil filters on sale,so I bought 6 of them,then I finde out about the new change,no more metal mesh on the back for support and no synthetic media, but the label say the same info ,20 microns, still good for 20 000 miles,but I am not a 100% sure if this is the same quality filter,what is your toughs on this guys ,should I keep this filters or get rid off them?

Octane

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here from Ontario,Ca,my Ram is 2019,5.7 hemi classic with 8 speed tranny, I am using shell rotella full synthetic oil 5w20 with fram ultra synthetic oil filter xg10060 the last 2times,first 10 kms was the original dealer oil&filter,now I am.just about to hit 30.000km and so far so good,truck is smooth, quiet, no problems at all, one store put the fram oil filters on sale,so I bought 6 of them,then I finde out about the new change,no more metal mesh on the back for support and no synthetic media, but the label say the same info ,20 microns, still good for 20 000 miles,but I am not a 100% sure if this is the same quality filter,what is your toughs on this guys ,should I keep this filters or get rid off them?
I would use them,actually I do.lol The xg should be synthetic media tho.Paper dont last for that many miles

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use the same filter. I have 5 more of the old style, after that I will switch to royal purple filters.

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a filter for my sons f150 at Walmart last week. He’s got a 2020f150 with a 2.7 v6. I looked at the fram check filter and compared it to the Motorcraft filter on the shelf. The difference was amazing. The end caps of the fram were half as thick as the Motorcraft. The number of pleats were obviously fewer on the fram. The overall quality and feel was superior on the Motorcraft. It was a big difference. So I bought the Motorcraft.

I also just bought a 2019 Ram hemi last week….love it. After this comparison I ordered 3 royal purple filters for the hemi.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The srt filter was cut open recently by @Hemi395 , no wire mesh and hard media. Not sure if its any better at filtering, not sure id trust mopar with the crap I see them pull anyway.
Ill run rp next change, shoulda just stayed with it and bought multiple then trying all these different options.

OP
OP
M

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I Must say that Fram gain my trust,the last 20 years I am using it for my pontiac, Voyager ,and for the Honda civic ultra synthetic ,so this filter never failed me,now I am just hoping that Fram test the new style really good before they put them on the market.

Octane

Reaction score
I Must say that Fram gain my trust,the last 20 years I am using it for my pontiac, Voyager ,and for the Honda civic ultra synthetic ,so this filter never failed me,now I am just hoping that Fram test the new style really good before they put them on the market.
Ive used fram since the 1970s also.I prefer the xg frams now but I will run what the "boutique filter fans" around here call the orange cannister of death... meaning the orange frams.I've ran for maybe a few million? miles using them with no issues.I dont think most engines are nearly as picky as people are.I know it's blasphemy tho.lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd still use them, they are top quality blended filter I believe. I would not go 20k miles on them, no way, not even 10k to be honest. I'd say 5k miles, until we get a couple guys to cut them open and report back in oil filter thread that has led to the info we currently have.

I don't know the argument for running paper filters, I don't get it. Flow, longevity, and amount of contamination they can hold, why not use synthetic one? paper filters stiffen and go straight into bypass when they do, so can you even call a paper filter a filter? It filters for a while, then it is just a useless thing oil travel flows through.

Octane

Reaction score
Personally,I won't go 5k on any oil that I will buy,Unless it's mostly highway miles.And certainly not more than that on any filter.Any man or company that is wanting to sell you something is suspect in my opinion.I do what works for me.I know tho that there are different levels of quality products on the market.I just mostly am not going to pay their price. Besides,nothing lasts forever and my junk lasts long enough! And if it don't,then the maker screwed up not me!Lol.

OP
OP
M

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd still use them, they are top quality blended filter I believe. I would not go 20k miles on them, no way, not even 10k to be honest. I'd say 5k miles, until we get a couple guys to cut them open and report back in oil filter thread that has led to the info we currently have.

I don't know the argument for running paper filters, I don't get it. Flow, longevity, and amount of contamination they can hold, why not use synthetic one? paper filters stiffen and go straight into bypass when they do, so can you even call a paper filter a filter? It filters for a while, then it is just a useless thing oil travel flows through.
Exactly right,but they still firm on their product,same specs same miles etc, but not for 20000 miles,6200 max,so I think I am gonna use them ,time will tell.

OP
OP
M

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally,I won't go 5k on any oil that I will buy,Unless it's mostly highway miles.And certainly not more than that on any filter.Any man or company that is wanting to sell you something is suspect in my opinion.I do what works for me.I know tho that there are different levels of quality products on the market.I just mostly am not going to pay their price. Besides,nothing lasts forever and my junk lasts long enough! And if it don't,then the maker screwed up not me!Lol.
I cut it down the miles allready, for my wife CRV ,we go right till the orange light come up,lake 12.500km or so,but with the Ram no,I wont go more then 10.000km with the full synthetic.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Exactly right,but they still firm on their product,same specs same miles etc, but not for 20000 miles,6200 max,so I think I am gonna use them ,time will tell.
I never believe they, no matter who they is. I find out for myself. If you cut it open and the filter media is pliable, it's good, if it is stiff, it is bad.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then switch to Mopar (or Bosch/Wix (napa-gold). All very good, top quality filters. The regular fram filters are super cheap constructed inside ...like crap. If you don't believe it, cut some open. Or watch a couple youtube videos.
The better Frams like you were/are using are pretty good, you were lucky to find a good deal. Considering the other good filters on the market there's no reason to NOT try the other top filters. The ultimate truth is, they'll all work 'ok'. Some better than others, or are built a lot better.

Considering the newness of your tk, if you ever have a warranty issue, using the Mopar filter should reduce conversation around filtration issues. Funny thing is, most people on the internet seem to make the decision what filter to use based on the lowest price, paint color, or what their dad used in the 1970's/80's.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can go a lot of miles on synthetic. I guess whatever you feel comfortable with, but definitely not more than the manual states (for warranty purposes). I used to drive my Jetta diesel 10,000-12,000 miles between oil changes using Shell Rotella T6 synthetic. Usually somewhere in between but never under 10k mi. per change. Course it usually used 2-3 quarts in that period. Lot of jetta owners do that. Car's got 276,000 mi and looks brand new under the valve covers.

OP
OP
M

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then switch to Mopar (or Bosch/Wix (napa-gold). All very good, top quality filters. The regular fram filters are super cheap constructed inside ...like crap. If you don't believe it, cut some open. Or watch a couple youtube videos.
The better Frams like you were/are using are pretty good, you were lucky to find a good deal. Considering the other good filters on the market there's no reason to NOT try the other top filters. The ultimate truth is, they'll all work 'ok'. Some better than others, or are built a lot better.

Considering the newness of your tk, if you ever have a warranty issue, using the Mopar filter should reduce conversation around filtration issues. Funny thing is, most people on the internet seem to make the decision what filter to use based on the lowest price, paint color, or what their dad used in the 1970's/80's.
The stack mopar filter they put in new trucks are much worst then fram,that s fact,so the oil shell rotella has a chrysler approval ,so I am not worrying too much about the filter,guys change oil every 6000km with top class oil&filter and still have the camshaft &lifter tick,so it comes to be Russian rulet

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The aftermarket Mopars are nice. There are better, of course. Any of the better grade filters will work just fine, incl your Fram if you can continue to find them. But you shouldn't get much beef from the dealer with a Mopar filter on it.

Octane

Reaction score

Everyone should know that the gold filters are best...well,because they are gold after all. Lol. And besides,if modern engine metallurgy is as good as some say it is then any "antique" filter should work....but synthetic media is better.But keep that thick crap stabilizer oil additives out of a modern engine.