Fresh Air Mod for stock Air Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zrock

Reaction score
In stock configuration the stock airbox supplies more than enough for a stock engine and a mildly built engine.. Absolutely no benefit

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In stock configuration the stock airbox supplies more than enough for a stock engine and a mildly built engine.. Absolutely no benefit
I question that.I added a 3" duct to my airbox,and on the dyno it was surprising the amount of vacumn there was at the inlet to the added duct.The truck would literally suck a shop rag up the added duct when we floored it on the dyno.The stock airbox is pretty decent,but another extra air inlet is definitely not going to hurt the trucks performance

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I question that.I added a 3" duct to my airbox,and on the dyno it was surprising the amount of vacumn there was at the inlet to the added duct.The truck would literally suck a shop rag up the added duct when we floored it on the dyno.The stock airbox is pretty decent,but another extra air inlet is definitely not going to hurt the trucks performance
I did not see on this thread where you have made any modifications to the motor or tune that would require more airflow. Everyone assumes that more air in is a better idea, it very often isn't. So what are the Dyno numbers for horsepower and torque with and without the extra air intake. Did the shape of the curve and the relative RPM change. What happened with your gas mileage with the extra air intake. To create more power, and faster 1/4 mile times means you have to burn more gas. If you are burning more gas without making more power or faster times you are headed the wrong direction.

Futzing around with stock motors is fine, but you need the gear to tell whether you are actually making things better.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I did not see on this thread where you have made any modifications to the motor or tune that would require more airflow. Everyone assumes that more air in is a better idea, it very often isn't. So what are the Dyno numbers for horsepower and torque with and without the extra air intake. Did the shape of the curve and the relative RPM change. What happened with your gas mileage with the extra air intake. To create more power, and faster 1/4 mile times means you have to burn more gas. If you are burning more gas without making more power or faster times you are headed the wrong direction.

Futzing around with stock motors is fine, but you need the gear to tell whether you are actually making things better.
Well my truck runs 12 flats at Castrol and gives stick Hellcats fits,so that'll give you an idea of it's power level,lol.Last time on the dyno it put down 500 rwhp and 572 lb-ft at 3200,so it's pulling some air,right off idle. But the rag test was done back when the truck was basically stock with just a catback and tune on it,haven't thought of doing the rag test on it lately when it's been on the dyno.It's not something i really worry about now,as i know the extra duct isn't hurting the trucks power,and the duct could probably be even bigger then 3". By now you should know my truck has a few mods on it Dean,you've been around here long enough and read enough of my posts to have figured that out :Big Laugh: That's my buddies truck in the other lane running 12.5's,and he's now the high dollar Turbo Ram running out of Leduc.Once Shane gets it sorted out it should be well into the 11's with his built 6.4 and the boost levels he's going to push through it. Stuffing more air into the airbox is never a bad idea,as the motors only going to pull what it needs anyways.A vacumn in the airbox is a bigger issue then pressure in the airbox is,as you're not going to get enough pressure into the box from an extra hose to ever be outside what the parameters of the computor can handle

Attachments

• IMG_3935 (2).JPG
    IMG_3935 (2).JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And this is why I like the 6.4/Eco lower airbox with the bigger inlet. If you pull the stock smaller inlet off the stock 5.7 lower airbox and put your hand over part of it at idle, theres a surprising amount of vacuum.

I can only imagine what its like at higher RPM, even in stock form. Nevermind something as modified as your truck...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Well my truck runs 12 flats at Castrol and gives stick Hellcats fits,so that'll give you an idea of it's power level,lol.Last time on the dyno it put down 500 rwhp and 572 lb-ft at 3200,so it's pulling some air,right off idle. But the rag test was done back when the truck was basically stock with just a catback and tune on it,haven't thought of doing the rag test on it lately when it's been on the dyno.It's not something i really worry about now,as i know the extra duct isn't hurting the trucks power,and the duct could probably be even bigger then 3". By now you should know my truck has a few mods on it Dean,you've been around here long enough and read enough of my posts to have figured that out :Big Laugh: That's my buddies truck in the other lane,and he's now the high dollar Turbo Ram running out of Leduc.Once Shane gets it sorted out it should be well into the 11's with his built 6.4 and the boost levels he's going to push through it
I know you have built up yours, I didn't word that well. Yours probably does need the extra air due to all the mods you have done.

I was thinking of the Original guy posting. His was what I thought was a bone stock engine. I would still like to know what changes on a stock motor outputs with just the extra air. My bet is nothing, Stoichiometric is still 14:3 and that is what the computer will work to maintain. No point in trying to push more air in if it won't come out the other end just as fast.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know you have built up yours, I didn't word that well. Yours probably does need the extra air due to all the mods you have done.

I was thinking of the Original guy posting. His was what I thought was a bone stock engine. I would still like to know what changes on a stock motor outputs with just the extra air. My bet is nothing, Stoichiometric is still 14:3 and that is what the computer will work to maintain. No point in trying to push more air in if it won't come out the other end just as fast.
About all the extra ducting will do is maybe lessen the vacumn slightly inside the airbox,as a 3 or 4 inch hose will never create enough airflow to actually pressurize the airbox even at mild throttle openings ,you'd need a scoop the size of the trucks front end to actually create a positive pressure,about all we're doing is slightly lessening the vacumn inside the box.