Front Axle Seal / Boot Damaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Gents,

Crawled under the PW today as I was going to change the oil, when I started to survey the underside. Really the first time getting under it since buying it.

Noticed the front axle seal / boot is torn and has flung grease to the underside as a result. Pics below:

20200921_211341.jpg

20200921_211255.jpg

20200921_211223.jpg

You can see the tear where I've circled, and the grease where I have an arrow. Let me know if I need to take more pics.

Bought the truck with 17K miles on it and have no idea who the prior owner was and what they did with it. I did not notice any signs of hard offroading or anything (aka knicks and scratches on the frame / differentials, etc.) and have since put about 6K miles on it.

Y'all think this would be covered under warranty? Am yet to take it off road and only turned on 4x4 once to test it out and make sure there were no noticeable issues. Did not have it in 4x4 for more than 30 seconds, but I did notice quite a bit of shudder when turning on gravel. Not sure if this is normal or not but it was definitely more pronounced than in my 2016 1500.

Let me know your thoughts y'all. Hoping this is warranty and not "wear and tear".

Thanks!

GD

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Gents,

Crawled under the PW today as I was going to change the oil, when I started to survey the underside. Really the first time getting under it since buying it.

Noticed the front axle seal / boot is torn and has flung grease to the underside as a result. Pics below:

View attachment 222205

View attachment 222206

View attachment 222207

You can see the tear where I've circled, and the grease where I have an arrow. Let me know if I need to take more pics.

Bought the truck with 17K miles on it and have no idea who the prior owner was and what they did with it. I did not notice any signs of hard offroading or anything (aka knicks and scratches on the frame / differentials, etc.) and have since put about 6K miles on it.

Y'all think this would be covered under warranty? Am yet to take it off road and only turned on 4x4 once to test it out and make sure there were no noticeable issues. Did not have it in 4x4 for more than 30 seconds, but I did notice quite a bit of shudder when turning on gravel. Not sure if this is normal or not but it was definitely more pronounced than in my 2016 1500.

Let me know your thoughts y'all. Hoping this is warranty and not "wear and tear".

Thanks!

GD
Bumper to bumper for 36k. I think it is covered. Need to get that cleaned out greased and sealed up before the snow starts to fall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamedog

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Bumper to bumper for 36k. I think it is cover. Need to get that cleaned out greased and sealed up before the snow starts to fall.

Yup, already have my appointment set up with the nearest Ram dealer (20 miles away lol).

Speaking with the service tech, sounds like this is covered under the bumper to bumper and drivetrain.

OP
OP
Gamedog

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Quick update...

Dealer ended up ordering me a new driveshaft boot and a new driveshaft.

Was not expecting the driveshaft needing to be replaced, but they're doing it just in case. I am okay with this.

They ended up loaning me a brand new 2020 Warlock 4x4. Not hating, but man it feels like I'm driving a Tacoma compared to my PW.

They're gonna have it for at least a week.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick update...

Dealer ended up ordering me a new driveshaft boot and a new driveshaft.

Was not expecting the driveshaft needing to be replaced, but they're doing it just in case. I am okay with this.

They ended up loaning me a brand new 2020 Warlock 4x4. Not hating, but man it feels like I'm driving a Tacoma compared to my PW.

They're gonna have it for at least a week.

A week!?!!?!?! WTF!?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
A week!?!!?!?! WTF!?
Haha. I would check the mileage and skid plates when I get it back. I got put in a challenger for two days while they change the steering wheel on mine. definitely a big difference when you can open the door and touch the pavement with your hand while still sitting in the driver seat.

OP
OP
Gamedog

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
A week!?!!?!?! WTF!?

Ha!

Dude that's what I said...

Service Advisor said the part needs to be shipped and he couldn't guarantee it'll be in by the end of the week due to this cot damn virus... So tired of everyone using it as an excuse...

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha!

Dude that's what I said...

Service Advisor said the part needs to be shipped and he couldn't guarantee it'll be in by the end of the week due to this cot damn virus... So tired of everyone using it as an excuse...

So drive the truck for the next week...or month, and when they finally get it in tell em you will come pic the new one up.

OP
OP
Gamedog

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
So drive the truck for the next week...or month, and when they finally get it in tell em you will come pic the new one up.

Hadn't thought of that.

Not too bummed about it though. I'll happily put the miles on their loaner instead of my truck.

I do have some hunts planned for the weekend of 10/10 though, definitely want it back before then.

OP
OP
Gamedog

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Update:

Heard back from Service Department... Said the driveshaft isn't due to arrive until 10/12. WTF.

He said I could take the truck until it arrives, but that he'd have to notify Ram that I elected to take the truck with a known issue. If the truck were to come back with more issues (other than the driveshaft / boot), that Ram could elect NOT to cover the warranty work.

What would Ram Forum do? I don't plan on turning on 4WD at all. Just want my cot damn truck back.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Update:

Heard back from Service Department... Said the driveshaft isn't due to arrive until 10/12. WTF.

He said I could take the truck until it arrives, but that he'd have to notify Ram that I elected to take the truck with a known issue. If the truck were to come back with more issues (other than the driveshaft / boot), that Ram could elect NOT to cover the warranty work.

What would Ram Forum do? I don't plan on turning on 4WD at all. Just want my cot damn truck back.

I know if I have another issue with mine I’m going trade it in on a Toyota Land Cruiser and be done with it. But that’s my opinion, if I were in your shoes and wanted to keep it, I’d drive the loaner.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Update:

I’m more comfortable in my own truck. But I have all the bells and whistles. If the loaner was comparable to mine, then I would not mind driving the loaner. Ford tried to put me in a Transit when my Raptor was in for warranty work and I couldn’t do it. They pulled a full size truck of the lot and gave it to me instead, better but not a Raptor. I brought the PW in for warranty work and got a Challenger. Pretty sweet for a day but it got old looking at everyone’s undercarriage and dodging 18 wheelers that could not see me. If it doesn’t bother you driving what they gave you, then enjoy the weekend. Life is short!

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
drive shaft doesnt turn in 2wd. i would drive the truck if it were mine

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would absolutely get the truck back without a single doubt. It could be months before the shaft comes in. And it will not hurt a thing driving it.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
while back i put a gopro under the truck to see how the suspension works. i noticed the driveshaft didnt turn

OP
OP
Gamedog

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Update -

Service advisor called and said the ship date turned to "TBD" and he could not guarantee a date of when the driveshaft would arrive.

Needless to say, I ended up picking up my truck. SO glad to have it back.

Again, nothing wrong with the Warlock, but sure as hell ain't no PW!

Advisor said it should be a 3 hour install once received so I will plan to drop it off that morning and get it back that later that day.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963