Front brake shield - mechanic removed(?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mb1473

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Searched the forum and read everything I could find that was related but not a solid answer on this one. We have a 2010 1500, took it in for front brakes & brake shield was rusted out, of course - not a shock, no big deal. Told us they would have to pull the bearings and all to get to it & we said of course, totally understand. Fully expected it to be replaced, but when we picked it up, they said they did NOT replace it and that it wasn't really "needed" -- just to be sure to wash the undercarriage regularly. Ummm.... pretty sure that have been our decision since those bearings have to be pulled out to get there and we were already paying for that. So I'm wondering on other mechanics' opinions here about not having a shield on there at all?? We live in a snowy area & on gravel roads. Thanks!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Searched the forum and read everything I could find that was related but not a solid answer on this one. We have a 2010 1500, took it in for front brakes & brake shield was rusted out, of course - not a shock, no big deal. Told us they would have to pull the bearings and all to get to it & we said of course, totally understand. Fully expected it to be replaced, but when we picked it up, they said they did NOT replace it and that it wasn't really "needed" -- just to be sure to wash the undercarriage regularly. Ummm.... pretty sure that have been our decision since those bearings have to be pulled out to get there and we were already paying for that. So I'm wondering on other mechanics' opinions here about not having a shield on there at all?? We live in a snowy area & on gravel roads. Thanks!
If the truck sees gravel and snow,it's a good idea to have the dust shield.I'm guessing they couldn't find one easily or in a timely manner ,and that's why they didn't replace it

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
they are sold everywhere, Autozone & other stores
it is a Dorman product

most places sell them in pairs
like this company

Brake Dust Shields(02-18 RAM 1500)​

Item R131786
$89.99 ( pair )
several colors to choose from
American Trucks website
group_dark.svg

Save

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd be bothered that they didn't disclose it or ask first, but you'll be just fine without them.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's good to have the dust shield, and it does help reduce salt spray on the rotors (which cause them to get rustier). But there's not as much splashing on the insides of the front wheels as say the rear rotors.

Here's the deal: to remove the front wheel bearing/hub, they become seized on SOOOO tight (esp here in the upper midwest), that you pretty much have to destroy them to get them off. A) It's a lot of hard pounding to remove them, B) You need to replace with a brand new one almost always. It's a lot of work and the expense of a quality hub (avoid the cheapies). C) Sometimes bearings/hubs come off easy, but usually not. The mechanic has to figure a higher number & probably didn't want to scare you with a big number just to install the dust shield (and bearing). Yer typical car owner who doesn't understand the work, is likely to think they're being ripped-off.

If your truck has it's original wheel bearings, I might be tempted to wait a yr or 2 and see if the wheel bearings get noisy and whatever other front end work it might need at that time (ball joints, CV Axles, Struts, etc ....replace those AND the bearings/hub assemblies (& both dust shields) at the same time. Ram front bearings/hubs don't last forever. If you drive it every day, there's less chance the rotors will get as rusty to the point of being a problem, as if you only drove it intermittently. All the caliper hardware is exposed anyway, even WITH a dust shield in place.

Yeah, doing a bunch of suspension work at one time will cost a king's ransom, but then it'll be done and you'll have a better driving/handling/safter pickup that'll be ready for many more trouble-free miles. And that dust shield will be in place too :)

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hate it when i forget the brake shield

I've done that after completely finishing re-doing the old Toyota front axles (that had those cone washers!) ...and had to take it all apart and re-do.

TWICE! :banghead:

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would consider the expected life left in the vehicle before worrying about little things like that. Around here a 2010 is well past rotted out and should more than likely be headed towards the scrapyard anyway. Chances are you're on borrowed time anyway no reason to fret.

OP
OP
M

mb1473

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's good to have the dust shield, and it does help reduce salt spray on the rotors (which cause them to get rustier). But there's not as much splashing on the insides of the front wheels as say the rear rotors.

Here's the deal: to remove the front wheel bearing/hub, they become seized on SOOOO tight (esp here in the upper midwest), that you pretty much have to destroy them to get them off. A) It's a lot of hard pounding to remove them, B) You need to replace with a brand new one almost always. It's a lot of work and the expense of a quality hub (avoid the cheapies). C) Sometimes bearings/hubs come off easy, but usually not. The mechanic has to figure a higher number & probably didn't want to scare you with a big number just to install the dust shield (and bearing). Yer typical car owner who doesn't understand the work, is likely to think they're being ripped-off.

If your truck has it's original wheel bearings, I might be tempted to wait a yr or 2 and see if the wheel bearings get noisy and whatever other front end work it might need at that time (ball joints, CV Axles, Struts, etc ....replace those AND the bearings/hub assemblies (& both dust shields) at the same time. Ram front bearings/hubs don't last forever. If you drive it every day, there's less chance the rotors will get as rusty to the point of being a problem, as if you only drove it intermittently. All the caliper hardware is exposed anyway, even WITH a dust shield in place.

Yeah, doing a bunch of suspension work at one time will cost a king's ransom, but then it'll be done and you'll have a better driving/handling/safter pickup that'll be ready for many more trouble-free miles. And that dust shield will be in place too :)
Yeah, it was explained that it would be a bunch of work to get to that shield to get it out & we were totally fine with that, but they never mentioned even the thought of not replacing it. I assume they couldn't get them OR (and more likely) that whoever did the work forgot to put a new one back on, since we were originally quoted a price that was about $150 more than what it ended up being. They didn't charge a ridiculous amount for labor, I thought, so it isn't at all about the price. In fact, I thought the price for everything they did was very reasonable.

The bearing and ball joint on that side were already replaced by our usual mechanic a year or two ago (don't have the record in front of me right this second, and the only reason the truck wasn't with him was that he couldn't fit it in, is quite a distance from us, and trying to wait for him cost us a rotor [but that isn't his fault] so brakes were emergent). I do wonder a little why the original mechanic didn't just go ahead and bang out the old shield back then and replace it since the bearing was already off at that point and he knows we aren't twitchy about paying for things, but I'm guessing it was a constraint of time/getting the part. But back to the present, I'd think it also would have been obvious that the bearing and ball joint were a recent replacement, so getting back in there in the near future wouldn't be on the agenda. I feel like the new mechanic's guys forgot to put it back on and they then didn't want to fess up to what happened because, if you couldn't find the part, you'd say so. So it isn't about feeling ripped off as it is that I feel like I was lied to and then treated like an idiot, which is a really dumb reason to lose a brand new customer who has told you that they're very loyal and looking for someone closer to home.

Appreciate all your thoughts on this, everyone. Thanks again!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you feel you want it on it shouldn't be too much trouble to do in the near future. The bearing should come out with no problem since it's new.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you feel you want it on it shouldn't be too much trouble to do in the near future. The bearing should come out with no problem since it's new.

He said it was a 2010... Depending on where he lives in Iowa (they use more salt in the east), it could be nearly welded in place. What's a shop charge to install a new wheelbearing these days? $650? I guess it depends where ya take it. And how good is the dust shield on the other side?

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would consider the expected life left in the vehicle before worrying about little things like that. Around here a 2010 is well past rotted out and should more than likely be headed towards the scrapyard anyway. Chances are you're on borrowed time anyway no reason to fret.
Let me guess, your the type to buy a new truck every time you pay off the last one? Some of us prefer to save money and get our moneys worth out of perfectly good machines.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's entirely possible a good shop might have invested in wheel bearing removal tools too. They're not cheap but they do make the job quicker/easier most of the time. If that's the case, they may be able to remove the old one pretty quickly and re-install it and the dust shield. So, maybe it's worth calling some shops to see if they have such a tool and how much they would charge ....if you really do want the dust shield. Making a few calls doesn't hurt.

Course, if the tech has the old one off a 2010, then you have to ask yourself if it's worth putting the old one back in place. Well, my truck has 175k and AFAIK it has the original wheel bearings. So... IDK

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
He said it was a 2010... Depending on where he lives in Iowa (they use more salt in the east), it could be nearly welded in place. What's a shop charge to install a new wheelbearing these days? $650? I guess it depends where ya take it. And how good is the dust shield on the other side?
He also said, when removing the bearing to get the shield off, that the bearing was just replaced so in the short term it should come off with no problem.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

Great post above, saved me alot of typing.
In the totality of it the OP was quoted $150 higher in the ESTIMATE but actually PAID less since they did not replace the shields due to explained above.
Same happens often here when I tell the customers I can attempt to remove the old hub bearing but it's usually a guarantee they will have to be replaced and cost substantially more than just the brake job, so they agree to wait til the hub bearings start making noise then replace everything at once.
I have one customer that all his trucks do are go off road for forestry work so he actually has me remove the shields completely everytime hubs are removed. He says and I agree with him, they are more of a nuisance because gravel and stones get caught in between them and rotors and squeal so he ends up having to stop and pry the shields away to get the rocks out.
He has been running no shields on 10 trucks including 2 RAM duallies, 3 V10 SRW, 2 1500s, and 3 Dakotas for many years no ill effects.
End of the day, the shop saved you from wasting money.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had to replace both my front bearings and I decided to replace the dust shields at the same time 2014 ram1500 4x4, I started doing them my self as i have done in the past with my other dodge, but couldn't get the drivers side out, so i took to my reliable shop with the parts I got from Rock auto and they replaced them. That shop mech should told you first whether or not he had the dust shields in stock before confirming to do it

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys are correct ...sorry, I missed the 2nd post where the wheel bearing was replaced 1 yr earlier. My bad.

If that's the case, the bearing/hub should come out w/o too much drama. So, go buy the shields and have them installed, if you want them. I personally would want them if the cost was reasonable to do it. If any work needs to be done with the brakes, suspension, or front axles (have all that stuff pre-inspected), this would be the time to do it. Sorry, again, I missed that the hubs were recently replaced. :pp:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, I would expect the tech. to inform me of the condition and give me the option on how to proceed. Any tech. that's been around for a while has had to come across this scenario before.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 94793 miles.