Front Differential Cover Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kayphix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V8
Hey guys,

Took the 2019 PW off roading in Colorado to stretch her legs this past weekend. Unfortunately today, I noticed some oil leaking under the front differential and saw that the cover looks pealed up.

I am not the most mechanically inclined, but it seems straightforward to fix, no? Anyone have a replacement link or number?

Thanks...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q4xrJGcS3Q6LEKmY7

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you buggered up the stock one put an AEV cover on or other hd aftermarket cover.

Bahn112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
yikes... looks like a Carli or Maple front diff cover is in your future.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would typically say get a Carli skid to cover it but since this one might be damaged just go ahead and get the AEV.

BTW the Carli skid was my first mod. Coming from an IFS truck I forgot how vulnerable the front pumpkins are on these solid axle trucks.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you wont be able to get it straightened out very good. get a new cover and use a bash plate like the carli. cm gear works site seems to be down but just call and they should have the covers at a reasonable price. get new gasket while your at it since yours may be damaged

OP
OP
Kayphix

Kayphix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V8
you wont be able to get it straightened out very good. get a new cover and use a bash plate like the carli. cm gear works site seems to be down but just call and they should have the covers at a reasonable price. get new gasket while your at it since yours may be damaged

Yea...I found a new gasket and a PML diff cover online. Guess the truck will sit idol a bit. Thanks.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Actually I think you should be able to bash it in place with a hammer. But definitely finish things off with a diff cover. They’re not expensive, and a lot cheaper than replacing your front differential when all your gear dumps out on a trail.

OP
OP
Kayphix

Kayphix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V8
Actually I think you should be able to bash it in place with a hammer. But definitely finish things off with a diff cover. They’re not expensive, and a lot cheaper than replacing your front differential when all your gear dumps out on a trail.

I actually tried this. It made the leak worse. I wonder if I cracked the gasket under it.
Either way, a new gasket and PML cover are on the way, I'll just need to not use it for a bit.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually tried this. It made the leak worse. I wonder if I cracked the gasket under it.
Either way, a new gasket and PML cover are on the way, I'll just need to not use it for a bit.

SUH, do not half A**** it. get another DIFF cover, whether OEM or aftermarket, new gasket, fresh oil (don't forget that too), and fix properly. The only thing I am not up on would be depending upon the oil if U needed a diff additive. Me thinks 75W 140 be fine, but I am no mechanic,. Research it. And if U plan on banging around some more, maybe a small lift (I am not sure how high the PW sit as I have a 1500), in the future, but definitely a Skid Plate for sure. All IMHO.....

ADDED; There are a lot of 4 X 4 shops down yer way. Get with PULLYA, he is real in tight ref MOE's down there. U can get wat U need. And if U R not 100% U can do right, pay some $$$ at a shop. Talk to PULLYA, I am sure he can direct U with some suggestions. I cannot help U on shops down there, I am not in that part of TX.

ADDED: RESEARCH the oil ref 2019. Here's one of many links on diff oil:

https://powerwagonregistry.org/pw_tech.php

Some recommend 2 diff oils ref front and rear, other recommend same for both. Depends upon axle etc.,. Way beyond my Wheel House.

OK, here is 2019 2500 DIFF Oil recommendation per Mopar:

2019 2500 diff.JPG cov 2500.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kayphix

Kayphix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V8
SUH, do not half A**** it. get another DIFF cover, whether OEM or aftermarket, new gasket, fresh oil (don't forget that too), and fix properly. The only thing I am not up on would be depending upon the oil if U needed a diff additive. Me thinks 75W 140 be fine, but I am no mechanic,. Research it. And if U plan on banging around some more, maybe a small lift (I am not sure how high the PW sit as I have a 1500), in the future, but definitely a Skid Plate for sure. All IMHO.....

ADDED; There are a lot of 4 X 4 shops down yer way. Get with PULLYA, he is real in tight ref MOE's down there. U can get wat U need. And if U R not 100% U can do right, pay some $$$ at a shop. Talk to PULLYA, I am sure he can direct U with some suggestions. I cannot help U on shops down there, I am not in that part of TX.

Yup, parts are ordered. PML differential cover and a new gasket from RAM. All the research I've done says 75W-90 for front oil. Goal is to try it myself, seems straightforward (drain, clean, replace, fill) otherwise take it somewhere. Thanks.

PWBOI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why don’t you get the diff cover of choice either the factory or aftermarket , if it’s the aftermarket put it on the front seat call roadside assistance, tell them you have a oil leak and take it to the dealer ask for a front diff service and install your supplied cover or order you a new one and have them install it , that way you don’t have to worry about having to get rid of the oil or leaving it in bucket in the corner of your garage for who knows how long, the service tech while it’s up in the air can see if any other damage has occurred and you’ll have the peace of mind everything is good.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, parts are ordered. PML differential cover and a new gasket from RAM. All the research I've done says 75W-90 for front oil. Goal is to try it myself, seems straightforward (drain, clean, replace, fill) otherwise take it somewhere. Thanks.
changing covers is extremely simple. Also you can take the used gear oil to Walmart and dispose of it or Autozone etc. check your locker magnet and wipe any "fuzz" off it it has any. yes either 75w-90 or 80w90.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

cast aluminum usually isnt a preferred material for diff covers of offroad vehicles. factory cover with steel bash plate or nodular iron are your better options

OP
OP
Kayphix

Kayphix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V8
Why don’t you get the diff cover of choice either the factory or aftermarket , if it’s the aftermarket put it on the front seat call roadside assistance, tell them you have a oil leak and take it to the dealer ask for a front diff service and install your supplied cover or order you a new one and have them install it , that way you don’t have to worry about having to get rid of the oil or leaving it in bucket in the corner of your garage for who knows how long, the service tech while it’s up in the air can see if any other damage has occurred and you’ll have the peace of mind everything is good.

Unfortunately all the oil is out now after the leak, lol. I think I should be able to do it myself once the parts come in. It doesn't seem to be too difficult.

OP
OP
Kayphix

Kayphix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V8
cast aluminum usually isnt a preferred material for diff covers of offroad vehicles. factory cover with steel bash plate or nodular iron are your better options

Wonder if I should cancel. I havent seen much other than PML and BD Diesel for covers. I read somewhere that AEV has some issues with the sway bar up front? Got any hits?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
aluminum is a great material and has many good qaulities for some applications but personally i wouldnt use it as a stand alone piece for a offroad diff cover

your best bang for the buck is probly oe cover and carli bash plate imo. maybe the people using one could chime in.
there is some custom steel covers that would be quit strong but ive no experience with their fitment and clearance. aev, again im not sure about the clearance

OP
OP
Kayphix

Kayphix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V8
If you do the work torque the Bolts to around 22 to 25 ft. lbs.

Will do, thanks a ton. Seems to be a pretty simple process. Drain, remove, clean, replace with gasket/cover, fill.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As already said above, if you actually wheel your truck forget the PML cover. A rock will punch a hole right through that cast aluminum cover.

I run a stock front cover with a Carli front diff guard. The Carli diff guard would have prevented your cover peel issue.

FWIW, I had ordered a AEV rear diff cover for my truck a few years ago. It arrived with the powder coat chipped in a few places from the drain plug that was thrown in the box with the cover banging around during transit and chipping the powder coat. I sent it back as I wasn't impressed. Plus the cover was heavy as hell.

Last edited: