Front End Issues - 2018 2500 6.4L gasser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thawkins57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This is my first 2500. I've had 3 1500's including an Ecodiesel over the past 10 years.

I bought it used with 8200 miles on it. The first thing I did was replace the Firestone AT's with Michelin Defender LTX tires. About 1000 miles later, the front end feels loose and rattles going over any rough roads or when hitting a manhole cover, etc, and the truck tends to wander - not badly, but enough to be annoying.

I've had it to the dealer under warranty - they said there was absolutely nothing wrong and they couldn't duplicate my complaint (B.S.). They said the tires were out of balance and balanced them, even though it had only been 1500 miles since installation. That didn't help at all.

I then took it to an alignment shop. They checked it out and said it was perfectly aligned (I saw it on the computer myself - everything well within spec.). They recommended installing a steering box stabilizer, which I did. It helped a little, but the rattle and looseness is still there.

The next consideration is shocks. Could Bilstein shocks be bad after only 10,000 miles? I don't know what the previous owner did with the truck, but I think it involved a lot of off-roading. The dealer said the rear driveline had been struck at some point, so he may have hit a rock or something. I don't want to put the money into new shocks if there's no need. When I push on the front bumper, it will bounce once or twice, but not too badly.

The final thought is the Michelins. I've read great reviews, but I've also seen some negative reviews regarding rough ride, etc. I'm running 60lbs in the front, 80 in the rear per the door sticker.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The only other thing I can think of is bad ball joints, hub bearings or loose track bar. However, Ram has such a loose tolerance on the ball joints they have to be practically falling off before they consider them bad. Jack up the front one side at a time and see if there is any play in the wheel.
The rear drive lone being "struck" is concerning? Any more details on what parts were hit and damaged?

Also HD trucks ride rough so may just need some getting used to compared to the car like ride of a 1500.

OP
OP
T

thawkins57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The alignment shop said the front end was in good shape as far as tie rods, ball joints, etc. They didn't mention any play in the bearings, so I don't know about that. The rear drive line is not a concern, just a confirmation to me that he did some off roading in it. The RAM dealer was pretty useless as far as I'm concerned, and I think they were just using that as some kind of excuse. Are the shocks a possibility at all or should I be looking somewhere else? I'm about ready to go back to Discount Tire and tell them I want some different tires. It all started after I put the Michelins on.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Steve Tokash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Odd thought and completely unlikely but have you checked the lugs for tightness? Only reason i mention it is because several years ago my brother had a wheel on his truck that had a lug hole on the wheel that was out of round i guess and it cause some interesting noises and driving patterns until eventually it fell off while we were riding down the road. If it started after new tire install i would head back to that shop.

OP
OP
T

thawkins57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Actually, that was the first thing I checked... It seemed like something a loose wheel would cause.

Thanks!

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is my first 2500. I've had 3 1500's including an Ecodiesel over the past 10 years.

I bought it used with 8200 miles on it. The first thing I did was replace the Firestone AT's with Michelin Defender LTX tires. About 1000 miles later, the front end feels loose and rattles going over any rough roads or when hitting a manhole cover, etc, and the truck tends to wander - not badly, but enough to be annoying.

I've had it to the dealer under warranty - they said there was absolutely nothing wrong and they couldn't duplicate my complaint (B.S.). They said the tires were out of balance and balanced them, even though it had only been 1500 miles since installation. That didn't help at all.

I then took it to an alignment shop. They checked it out and said it was perfectly aligned (I saw it on the computer myself - everything well within spec.). They recommended installing a steering box stabilizer, which I did. It helped a little, but the rattle and looseness is still there.

The next consideration is shocks. Could Bilstein shocks be bad after only 10,000 miles? I don't know what the previous owner did with the truck, but I think it involved a lot of off-roading. The dealer said the rear driveline had been struck at some point, so he may have hit a rock or something. I don't want to put the money into new shocks if there's no need. When I push on the front bumper, it will bounce once or twice, but not too badly.

The final thought is the Michelins. I've read great reviews, but I've also seen some negative reviews regarding rough ride, etc. I'm running 60lbs in the front, 80 in the rear per the door sticker.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim
When you say bounce once or twice how much. I can Barely get the front or back to move when i push on mine.

OP
OP
T

thawkins57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I can get the front end down a couple of inches if I really lean into it. It comes up, down, up, back to resting. I don't know if that's enough to say the shocks are weak or not... this is new to me.

Bigseff23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would set your tire pressure down and try it. I run 36 all the way around on 35" nitto's. With that much tire pressure you're literally beating your suspension to death when unloaded

OP
OP
T

thawkins57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would set your tire pressure down and try it. I run 36 all the way around on 35" nitto's. With that much tire pressure you're literally beating your suspension to death when unloaded

I've thought about that, but I was concerned about mileage. I'm already only getting 10 MPG around town. Will it have much effect?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As said, on my 2500 I can hardly get the front or rear to ,move when I push on it so something is amiss with your truck. I'm over 200 lbs too so it's not that I dont have the mass to move it.

My truck has over 11k on it now and the suspension is still like new and tight. No rattles, issues, etc

Was an aftermarket suspension put on your truck? If you can move yours as you say seems to me like a softer offroad suspension was installed.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
New shocks won't do anything for the wandering steering IMHO. I would definitely run lower tire pressure if you are unloaded much of the time. My ride got much better when I lowered my pressures. I am running 50 psi all around for now. Also if you read on Thurens website, they have info on alignment that is supposed to be better than factory specs, I haven't done it yet, but have seen it mentioned before.

OP
OP
T

thawkins57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 PW is stock about 13K miles, stock wheels and tires. Previously owned a lot of different RAM 1500's. It took awhile for me to keep from wandering all over the road with the PW, just the way the straight axle acts on this truck. No front end rattles so far. Great truck!

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 PW is stock about 13K miles, stock wheels and tires. Previously owned a lot of different RAM 1500's. It took awhile for me to keep from wandering all over the road with the PW, just the way the straight axle acts on this truck. No front end rattles so far. Great truck!

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
logical thinking seems to have went out the window on internet forums. if something seems loose then it probly is. grab some tools and get under there to check it out. relying on some one else to do it will leave you disappointed every time. the driveline is probly bent if it hit a rock. suprised its not rattling your teeth out

OP
OP
T

thawkins57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, that was very helpful, Jerry. I'm not a mechanic and it's still under warranty. I had who SHOULD have been the most qualified people looking at it. Since they didn't admit to finding anything, I was seeking some alternative suggestions as to what the problem might be from a large group of owners who may have had a similar problem. That seems pretty logical to me. The rear end isn't a problem at all - but thanks for your opinion.