fuel pump failure signs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys just wondering what the signs are of a failing fuel pump? im having some erratic rpms and die outs and what seams like low fuel going into the engine and im horable at explaining things so figured id ask what i should be looking for if that is the issue thanks for any and all help

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Certinly could be a fuel delivery pressure issue , so I don't want to rule that out as a contributing factor also a vacuum leak as stated above , but may just be carbon build up & dirty intake plenum .

If you got 100 + and your not a 15000 mile air filter change type (like most of us arn't ) and you've got a good deal of stop n go miles and or a good amount of idling time then it could be some gummed up sensors on and near your intake plenum such as but not limited to the IAC valve (idle air control) .
Not just solely for idle , I've had IAC valve cause dieing when letting off the throttle at any RPM or speed .
This could mean many things but the intake is a good place to look , along with the normal stuff like plugs , plug wires , cap & rotor , air filter and fuel psi ...
There are you tube videos on intake plenum cleaning and IAC valve replacement if your not familiar with it .

Hope this helps !

Last edited:
OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup i already changed and cleaned the aic this summer and cleaned it this fall then the struck started having issues again.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Replacement sensor from dodge. Iac for example. Senate should only be replaced with parts from dodge, the aftermarket is junk

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its also not acting like it did before i had the aic chainged out but i guess i will just have to have the shop diagnose it i guess thanks for the sugetions guys

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
if you suspect fuel pressure issues, it might be good idea to change the fuel filter. If you want to extend the life of your fuel pump, don't run the tank too low too often.

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do that but sadly the 98s dont have a serviceable fuel filter

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would do that but sadly the 98s dont have a serviceable fuel filter
I believe your filter is a sock , covering the pump assy that consist of the fuel sending unit qty. indicator and low level switch . It's a multi assy . About the size of a medium coffee can.
Pricy $$ unit . When I changed mine on my 97 I removed the bed and the job was much easier than draining and dropping the tank imo.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
no filter? are you positive about that? wow, you could blow me over with a feather. Even carburreted Mopars as far back as early 60's (that I'm positive of) had in-line filters. Why would they stop putting filters on fuel injected cars, where you are forcing fuel through really small holes? I'll take your word for it, for now, but I'll have to check my service manual.

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
according to every one I have talked to its a nonservicable filter meaning its in the tank it has one but is not meant to be serviced

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yep. Non-servicable filter. Sock that goes on the bottom of the pump. Stupid ass design but many many cars use it actually. In fact that's hope most in tank electric pumps are

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I bow to the experts on this forum. I looked it up in an 01 service manual, don't know when they started doing it or if they still do it. But there are two filters, one on the bottom of the pump/sender module, and another on top (part of the pressure/regulator assembly). The manual infers they are replaceable by telling you how to remove them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can be purchased separately from the pump/sender assembly.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Both filters are serviceable.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS PR323 {#4798825, 4798825AB, 4798825AC} Fuel Filter w/ Internal Fuel Pressure Regulator; Includes: Rubber Seal, Rubber Grommet, & Small Hose Clamp $112 in CDN funds

Last edited:
OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
few more questions

ok so here is where i stand at the moment, I have few more details
1) on a cold start it starts fine
2) after running for awhile and shut down for a few it does not like to start right away
3) after i changed the aic there has been a low whistle sound when i put on the gas but i was unable to find any vacuum leak

now after looking over the last 2 pages again i have a few questions
1) what and where is the intake plenum and what does it do? if im going to try and clean it i wanna know what it does first
2) for the mopar aic is that going to be a part that i have to order directly from the dodge dealership

3) either i can try to change the aic again and spend the $ on that or i can spend the $ on having a shop try to diagnose the issue for me in an hour worth of time for about $100 what do you think is my best way to save $ in the long run because my thinking is that if its not the aic then thats about $75+ that i would be spending on a new one for no reason but if that is probably what it is then i could save a few dollars.

thanks for any and all help and suggestions