Fuel Pump Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Here is the story. Hopefully, someone has experienced similar symptoms and can get me going in the right direction. I have 2001 Ram with the 5.9 diesel. I have replaced the TPS/APP; New fuel pump holding about 12 pounds at 1500 rpms; It keeps throwing the 0216 and 1693 codes. I checked the map sensor with a Snap On computer and it said I had 13#'s of boost at idle..... I checked the map with my little Advance Auto Acron CP9180... it said that the out put of the MAP sensor was 196kpa at idle.... I have owned other, older Dodges (1991 D250) and am pretty familiar with stock engine boost...it ain't 13# at idle.... I tried to keep boost less than 5# to save fuel. So 13# is wrong.... Should be around 0-2#. I did the trouble shooting of the harness back to the ECM and it proved okay.. My meter indicated no short or open. I bought a new MAP sensor, installed it and got the same reading...196kpa. It varied with increase of throttle... Kpa divided by .145 is supposed to convert to psi....over 28#... Unplugged MAP, the truck limps (dead pedal) and the output reads zero... I think I have a bad VP44 but like to understand a little more as to what effect the MAP sensor has on the VP44. Original symptoms include dead pedal at first start up and then later, dead pedal while cruising. I have not hauled with this truck. It has 88000 miles on the clock and is very clean. I doesen't appear to have been mistreated.. How can I tell if the VP-44 has been replaced? Thanks. I will answer any questions. Just don't want to by an injection pump I don't need. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
R

Rockfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Well.... After all is said and done, I replaced the VP-44 and she runs like a top.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the information.