Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How bout a hookup on a beater car so I don't have to run grandpa tires and don't put another bazillion miles on this damn thing! [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine has actually a real nice BMW for sale, 104,000 miles for $2800! located in Rockland County NY if interested. You need we can get it lol
64225855_10157524943240921_5940861839716909056_n.jpg

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Buddy of mine has actually a real nice BMW for sale, 104,000 miles for $2800! located in Rockland County NY if interested. You need we can get it lol
64225855_10157524943240921_5940861839716909056_n.jpg
Hmmmmmm. I just dropped another *** of money last week, but I'll see where my account is sitting and we may be in touch.

What don't you have access to?!? Lmao

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmmmmm. I just dropped another *** of money last week, but I'll see where my account is sitting and we may be in touch.

What don't you have access to?!? Lmao

Let me know. Guy is a very good mechanic and his wife used this car to commute to the city.

there isnt much I cant source lol. The guys in the synthetic oil thread call me Nick Gotti LMAO

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Let me know. Guy is a very good mechanic and his wife used this car to commute to the city.

there isnt much I cant source lol. The guys in the synthetic oil thread call me Nick Gotti LMAO
Well you do live in New York....know what I'm sayinnnnn...0d092a0bb35a5a1f718b4181d7cafcde.jpg

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Howyoudoinnnn12f763825db0ab59f1f3251e0aa7efac.jpg

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
And i live in Jersey.....not the jersey shore....ys know farms and ****.....i just work in the city where them folks lay big money on the table for blue collar folks so they can keep their hands soft.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Back to naked and I think it's staying like this. I'll redo the bumper white, but there was a big spot missing from the flares so I just removed it. Prob gonna have it done in vinyl, plastidip just stained immediately. Honestly the flares I've got are nothing but a headache in terms of fighting paint damage. So this is how it's staying. Quite frankly I like the look with flares but after having to wet sand huge dirt filled scratches out today I'm done with them. Flaps will get tossed on for winter duty.....still hate these 20s but my duratracs are junk and I'm not spending 1k on tires yet so the truck will just look all jumbled and confused for now. Going back to the 17s before winter with 285 75s.

Threw the 5125s on and brake line kit. Once the coils are in I'll assess angles and the such. My truck sat low compared to others I've measured so I have no idea where I'll end up with height. Than I can fine tune my front and rear setups and be done for a bit. These shocks are valved alot lighter than the 5100s I had on so well see how it feels, test drive around my neighborhood was super plush feeling compared to before. Nothing overly exciting. I get bored so I mess with the truck and what I have available to me. Working 6 days a week and trying to get **** paid off while figuring out an engagement ring.....not much time to spare lately. At some point truck will be cool again, but for now it just lives on blacktop or parked. [emoji58]73896fb5b756ba468915d7a8144349d4.jpgef06211d7cdd03b425e08d8f62e9172d.jpg

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looks cleaner without the flares Hodge. What are the specs on the shocks ?
Ok so this is right off the website for my 5125’s.
Part # 33-185569
Collapsed length: 17.91 inches
Extended length: 29.70 inches
Compression @0.52m/s: 700
Rebound @0.52m/s: 2550

Same as from the rear end ride quality thread. They are valved soft, ride so much nicer than my 5100s. Could use a bit more rebound damping but still a nice step in the right direction.

I do like the clean look without flares as well, I'm torn. After I color match the upper bumper I'll see how I feel. Might try black plastidip my wheels and see if I like it black. Still not a fan of them, but the price was too good to pass up. My truck really appreciates the light weight setup too. Honestly I'm all over the place with this thing, which usually leads to me doing nothing instead lol.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok so this is right off the website for my 5125’s.
Part # 33-185569
Collapsed length: 17.91 inches
Extended length: 29.70 inches
Compression @0.52m/s: 700
Rebound @0.52m/s: 2550

Same as from the rear end ride quality thread. They are valved soft, ride so much nicer than my 5100s. Could use a bit more rebound damping but still a nice step in the right direction.

I do like the clean look without flares as well, I'm torn. After I color match the upper bumper I'll see how I feel. Might try black plastidip my wheels and see if I like it black. Still not a fan of them, but the price was too good to pass up. My truck really appreciates the light weight setup too. Honestly I'm all over the place with this thing, which usually leads to me doing nothing instead lol.

How do things look with the Bilstein springs at full droop? If the 5125's are that much nicer riding I might give them a try for the price. Copy @ram1500rsm with the hose clamps for extra safety and maybe the metalclock stops if I can't round up anything else for stop extensions cheaper. Also his on the cheap brake line extension bracket until I do brakes and get braided lines. I also have those .75" spacers on top so I should have just a little bit extra length at full droop. Eventually I'll probably get the SLF-140's, but when that time comes I'll be going for coilovers up front and some more serious rear shocks.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hodge, I was reading up on 5100's and 5125's today and one comment I saw said the 5100's have a limited lifetime warranty while 5125s is 90 days because the latter are considered to be an off road targeted application? (in case that's a factor for anyone reading).

what have you done with all these old Bilstein's? LOL.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How do things look with the Bilstein springs at full droop? If the 5125's are that much nicer riding I might give them a try for the price. Copy @ram1500rsm with the hose clamps for extra safety and maybe the metalclock stops if I can't round up anything else for stop extensions cheaper. Also his on the cheap brake line extension bracket until I do brakes and get braided lines. I also have those .75" spacers on top so I should have just a little bit extra length at full droop. Eventually I'll probably get the SLF-140's, but when that time comes I'll be going for coilovers up front and some more serious rear shocks.
I will take pics of everything. I did the shocks with wheels on the ground and was more pissed I had to fix my paint than anything. They are long but I measured and at fully compressed the bump stop would/should still stop before the shock fully collapsed.

As for the ride, they are hugely softer in compression valving. I the rear end feels like it is marshmallows. The rebound is just a touch light and I get some rear end rise when I stop as well as it feels a little spongy/bouncy at times. I may be hypersensitive to it still, but over all the broken pavement I've been hitting daily they are way nicer imo. I'm hoping the firmer sl140s help a bit with my spongy feeling. Overall I really like the way it feels, much more compliant. The 5100s are valved heavy. They cross reference with 2500s so it's to be expected. I've had to always disconnect the shocks from the lower mount to remove the bilstein coils, I'll see if they unseat when I swap coils and report back. If you have fun money, it's a worthwhile try going to the 5125s. I do know you tow though, might be a bit soft valved to control a decently heavy load. I'm not a valving expert tho.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hodge, I was reading up on 5100's and 5125's today and one comment I saw said the 5100's have a limited lifetime warranty while 5125s is 90 days because the latter are considered to be an off road targeted application? (in case that's a factor for anyone reading).

what have you done with all these old Bilstein's? LOL.

The warranty is what usually draws me to bilstein.
I'm not sure on the differences, I think it's more because it's a generic application shock compared to oem specs. Bilsteins usually have returned great longevity for me so I don't hesitate when using them. Performance is always consistent, not overly impressive but a nice little upgrade from stock for normal application. Jb1 hooked me up with these 5125s so I am not worried about warranty honestly. But it is something to be mindful of. As for my other shocks. 6112s are staying up front and I'll be selling my rear 5100s here soon. Just gotta get all my truck things sorted out. It'll never be "done"

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will take pics of everything. I did the shocks with wheels on the ground and was more pissed I had to fix my paint than anything. They are long but I measured and at fully compressed the bump stop would/should still stop before the shock fully collapsed.

As for the ride, they are hugely softer in compression valving. I the rear end feels like it is marshmallows. The rebound is just a touch light and I get some rear end rise when I stop as well as it feels a little spongy/bouncy at times. I may be hypersensitive to it still, but over all the broken pavement I've been hitting daily they are way nicer imo. I'm hoping the firmer sl140s help a bit with my spongy feeling. Overall I really like the way it feels, much more compliant. The 5100s are valved heavy. They cross reference with 2500s so it's to be expected. I've had to always disconnect the shocks from the lower mount to remove the bilstein coils, I'll see if they unseat when I swap coils and report back. If you have fun money, it's a worthwhile try going to the 5125s. I do know you tow though, might be a bit soft valved to control a decently heavy load. I'm not a valving expert tho.

Well I won't have much fun money till the consulting picks up more or I get another W-2 gig, but I might suck it up and get a pair after a while as a cheap holdover until I do more upgrades. My truck is riding a lot nicer with the current setup, but if 5125's over my current 5100s make the rear better over all the broken pavement/gravel ruts out here that's a no brainier for the cost of the shocks and other miscellaneous tweaks like the brake line bracket mod. I also haven't been towing at all since I moved back home and my parents only live a few miles away with a 2500 I can use should the need arise so that need has been reduced to smaller utility trailers for moving **** like a riding mower or other smaller things infrequently.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@hodge-xj , so based on your experience with a variety of Bilstein models and applications, for the purpose of just leveling or a slight lift intention and only highway or gravel driving, would you recommend 4 corner 5100s or 5100s up front and just say 1"pucks in the back as getting the job done? It seems like a pretty reasonably priced way to go from my checking out prices in Canada.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Well I won't have much fun money till the consulting picks up more or I get another W-2 gig, but I might suck it up and get a pair after a while as a cheap holdover until I do more upgrades. My truck is riding a lot nicer with the current setup, but if 5125's over my current 5100s make the rear better over all the broken pavement/gravel ruts out here that's a no brainier for the cost of the shocks and other miscellaneous tweaks like the brake line bracket mod. I also haven't been towing at all since I moved back home and my parents only live a few miles away with a 2500 I can use should the need arise so that need has been reduced to smaller utility trailers for moving **** like a riding mower or other smaller things infrequently.
I'll get all the parts in, pull numbers, take pictures and get you to spend more money. Aside from shocks I think you can make some of the parts. So far these rear 5125s ride on the choppy **** much better. I'll have about 500 miles logged by the weekend so a bit more seat time to really nit pick. But initial feels are much better.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
@hodge-xj , so based on your experience with a variety of Bilstein models and applications, for the purpose of just leveling or a slight lift intention and only highway or gravel driving, would you recommend 4 corner 5100s or 5100s up front and just say 1"pucks in the back as getting the job done? It seems like a pretty reasonably priced way to go from my checking out prices in Canada.

Id say if you're looking at just leveling the front to the rear bilstein 5100s or the eibach struts have been getting really good reviews. Rancho quick lifts and RS9000 shocks also fill entry level spot for a nice setup that can handle what you have described. Josh above you has some pics floating around with about 2.3-2.5" front lift and .75 pucks in the rear with +1" coils and it looks great imo. If you want to maintain any rake you for sure need to add a rear spacer or new coils in conjunction with the front. I'm not sure on how bad you get dinged in Canada on prices, I know it's pretty high

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
we get killed on prices on everything here. less demand, less population and lifts are speciality products so they appropriately are expensive as hell. initially in reading through your whole thread today and some others, I thought i could just do biltsteins on the front and spacers in the back for a level basically. i can probably get the hardware to do those for like 400 bucks then labour on top (i don't have everything i need to do suspension work) but...wondering if i just do that if i'm missing something important in the equation. I would rather do nothing than cause complications. I looked at the Rough Country spacers all around solution for like 250 bucks worth of parts, 358 kit i think it is... but that seems too budget and sounds like its a recipe for stress on the front end that I want to avoid.

am I making any sense? LOL