Fumoto valve vs No Spill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did my first oil change on my 18 6.7 Cummins yesterday. I had already purchased a Fumoto valve for it, so installed it. I have had that brand valve on all my diesels. Just makes draining the large quantities of oil so much easier/neater. But I'm not sure I'm a fan of it on this motor since the drain plug is on the bottom of the pan instead of the side. It's kind of protected behind the front differential, but I don't feel good about it.

I see there is a low profile one from No Spill:
https://www.nospillsystems.com/store/part-accessories.cfm

Pricey bugger, and you have to buy the drain separately. But it seems a good solution for the vulnerable placement on this motor.

Anyone had both? Feedback on the No Spill valve? Any other options (besides the OEM plug)?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have not put the Fumoto on my Cummins for the exact reason you are reluctant. Having that thing hanging down like that would make me nervous. The No-Spill compact looks like it might withstand being hit better than the Fumoto.

TBH, I get very little oil on my hand when removing the drain plug so I have not bothered to install something like one of these drain valves. They seem to slow the flow so I wonder how long it takes to get all 3 gallons out. I supposed one could go work on the filter while it drains. Now the filter is something I have definitely considered moving. But again, all those extra hoses and fittings makes me nervous when dealing with a critical fluid like oil.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've never seen any need for one of those over-priced Fumoto or no-spill drain valves.
There is nothing wrong with the factory drain plug, I just take it off and go remove the filter while it drains.
I did my first oil change on my CTD last month and it may have taken all of 30 minutes including clean-up and putting my tools away.
No need to overthink an oil change that only needs doing every 15,000 miles.

Oh, I just noticed who you are. I'm sure you'll just pooh-pooh any input in favor of your already made up mind because you really don't want any opinions. :argue:

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have not put the Fumoto on my Cummins for the exact reason you are reluctant. Having that thing hanging down like that would make me nervous. The No-Spill compact looks like it might withstand being hit better than the Fumoto.

TBH, I get very little oil on my hand when removing the drain plug so I have not bothered to install something like one of these drain valves. They seem to slow the flow so I wonder how long it takes to get all 3 gallons out. I supposed one could go work on the filter while it drains.
The reason I use them is not to keep my hands clean. It's more about convenience. With the Fumoto, I use a short hose and drain it straight into empty 4-5qt bottles. No big oil pan to have to empty or clean. It does drain slower, but that has not been an issue for me over the years I've been using them. First one I used was for my new 01 Duramax. Never had an issue with one, but this one is just in harms way.

Watched a YT vid from Geno's garage. The No Spill seems the way to go over the Fumoto. Much lower profile. More than I'd like to spend, but it's worth it to me personally.

Now the filter is something I have definitely considered moving. But again, all those extra hoses and fittings makes me nervous when dealing with a critical fluid like oil.
I didn't think the filter was that bad. I'd bought one of those screw on caps to keep it from spilling as it was being extracted. And I already owned a wrench that fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've never seen any need for one of those over-priced Fumoto or no-spill drain valves.
There is nothing wrong with the factory drain plug, I just take it off and go remove the filter while it drains.
I did my first oil change on my CTD last month and it may have taken all of 30 minutes including clean-up and putting my tools away.
No need to overthink an oil change that only needs doing every 15,000 miles.

Oh, I just noticed who you are. I'm sure you'll just pooh-pooh any input in favor of your already made up mind because you really don't want any opinions. :argue:
Not sure why you feel the need to follow me around and troll my posts, but I did not ask for any input on the good or bad of these types of valves. Actually, I was quite specific about not using the OEM plug:
Anyone had both? Feedback on the No Spill valve? Any other options (besides the OEM plug)?

So you are correct, I will ignore your input, considering that you ignored my questions.