Garage reno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys, just had a contract accepted on a builder display home and will need to rebuild my garage. I thought about using the money for a Whipple, but think it's a better idea to put 10K into my garage again seeing as we have downsized to a 3rd of the house with no finished basement. I need a man cave.

Looking for some thoughts to spruce up the blank canvas. It's a 3 car garage, 22ft deep approximately 750sqft. I just bought some newage cabinets on sale for Father's day and am looking at metallic epoxy floor coatings now. Anyone have experience with a good metallic kit? Will probably slatwall the whole thing and do a mini split again as well.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
We will want to follow your build out. Great start.
One of the pleasures of being retired is a 3 car garage. Beer, wine, soda's in frig. Master cool portable evap for summer, portable propane for winter, finished walls, tools and shelving where I want them. I "allow" my wife to park in my garage.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Run some 220 in there before you get it all finished up. It is always more of a pain to add it later on.

I have been wanting to epoxy mine forever. Never got around to it yet. Can't wait to see what you come up with, it might convince me to do mine too.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hell, it's bad enough that we are a bad influence on each other about buying mods, but now we get to spend someone else's money on a garage----:D:D
Jay

Last edited:

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Ok guys, just had a contract accepted on a builder display home and will need to rebuild my garage. I thought about using the money for a Whipple, but think it's a better idea to out 10K into my garage again seeing as we have downsized to a 3rd of the house with no finished basement. I need a man cave.

Looking for some thoughts to spruce up the blank canvas. It's a 3 car garage, 22ft deep approximately 750sqft. I just bought some newage cabinets on sale for Father's day and am looking at metallic epoxy floor coatings now. Anyone have experience with a good metallic kit? Will probably slatwall the whole thing and do a mini split again as well.
Sub'd!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha, yeah I forgot to mention electrical upgrade. I put a subpanel in my current garage capable of 100 amps and will be doing the same in the new one. I put 20 amp outlets everywhere, which was nice, and a must have. The first time I was running my table saw, I kept tripping the breaker, so the subpanel was the first thing after the lights. Didn't put a 220 in though because I don't have air tools and it would have been easy directly below the sub panel and plan on doing the same in the new garage.

Lights are a given. I ended up with two 4 fluorescent bulb fixtures last time due to the costs and they put out more light than any reasonable LED fixture. May do the same or see if I can find deals on more LED lights.

The beer fridge is coming with, so that's already covered ;).

As for the sink, we are having them throw in a powder room right next to the garage/house entrance, so while a garage sink may be nice, may not be worth the hastle of running water lines and drainage.

Toying around with taking my projector and media server that's in the basement now and hooking it up in the garage with a golf emulator. May also do 4 flush mount ceiling speakers towards the corners.

We have a month before we close, so keep the ideas coming!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Run some 220 in there before you get it all finished up. It is always more of a pain to add it later on.

I have been wanting to epoxy mine forever. Never got around to it yet. Can't wait to see what you come up with, it might convince me to do mine too.
I've wanted to epoxy the garage floor for 3 houses now. It's going to be the first thing I do now, or I know it won't get done. Helps not having to degrease a dirty floor and making the movers put everything inside the house. I'm looking at various metallic swirl techniques to get more of a granite/marble look vs. just throwing some flakes down. My issue is going to be getting someone reliable to help since this stuff sets up so quick.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This gives an idea of what I'm going for with the floor... But maybe more white and less gray...vitality_bowl_metallic_floor_coating_1.jpg

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really dig that swirl. I like the ones with a little bit of copper colored swirl as well as dark grey. You gotta have some damn nice furnishing and cars to look right with that kind of floor though.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good on you to vet the flooring sub; good concrete finishing isn't easy, so make sure to see some previous work before you commit! Any legitimate outfit shouldn't have any qualms about that request!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good on you to vet the flooring sub; good concrete finishing isn't easy, so make sure to see some previous work before you commit! Any legitimate outfit shouldn't have any qualms about that request!

TXCOMT
That's just a random picture I found online. I plan on doing it myself lol

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
If you haven't, you may want to go to this sites "my garage" posts on the search engine. You will find some good pictures and thoughts that may be helpful to your lay out plans.

EcoDieselDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had my floor epoxied right before we moved into our new house five years ago. One of the best moves I ever made. You'll love it!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, while we are at it, forgot to mention that I'm having the builder reconfigure the garage doors from 7ft to 8ft and put 8ft insulated doors in... Tried pulling my truck in and since it's on a reverse slope, I couldn't make it. Scrapping them putting openers in and I'll put liftmaster 8500 wall mount openers in myself.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just re-read through this thread. Are your ceilings high enough in the basement for a golf sim? I will be super jealous if you get one!

Taller garage will be so dang nice too! My truck won't even fit in my garage with bils at 2.8 and 35s. Really pissed me off

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just re-read through this thread. Are your ceilings high enough in the basement for a golf sim? I will be super jealous if you get one!

Taller garage will be so dang nice too! My truck won't even fit in my garage with bils at 2.8 and 35s. Really pissed me off
I think you are misreading or I'm not explaining correctly... I currently have a $3K projector system in my current basement with an ambient light rejecting screen. We are moving into a new house without a finished basement. I am not spending $30K to finish the basement. I am considering taking my projector system and putting it into the new garage that has 10.5 ft ceilings. Other option is to sell the projector system for more goodies.