Gear up, Gear down...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
2016 Sport...can someone summarize what it does?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
allows you to manually select the highest gear and/or downshift.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
It changes the display on the console to read a number that you set, until the truck decides you were wrong and changes the number for you.

In other words, it is pointless.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Yeah, to me when I hit the shift up/down button it doesn't shift until it wants to, which could be instantly or a half mile

OP
OP
TarPaper

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
I guess I will let it be then...lol

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, to me when I hit the shift up/down button it doesn't shift until it wants to, which could be instantly or a half mile

its not a shift button in that sense, meaning you cant hit the gear up button and expect it to shift. it doesnt work that way. what it does is limit your highest gear. if you select gear 6 it stays there until you select a higher gear or the truck feels it needs to downshift. obviously it has a built in fail safe so you cant lets say keep it in 2nd and blow the motor or trans. it will upshift in that type of scenario.

OP
OP
TarPaper

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
S whats the purpose?

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can aid in engine braking. It will disable MDS. It will limit the highest gear you set it at so it doest shift if you don't want it (helping RPMs up while playing on dirt roads in my case) :)

On my 8 speed, mine won't shift on its own and manually override what I set. I've accidentally had it in first or second and it will wind right up to redline and sound like a damn ricer checking rev.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Useful when towing to keep the engine in the power range, rather than letting the transmission shift to maintain economy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Us 2500 owners must be lucky...our will shift up or down when using the button almost immediately.

I'm looking for shifter paddles for this truck!!!

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i find it easier to just use the tow/haul instead of ******* around with the up/down.especially when i get really bad hemifoot.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Used it last week coming down the mountains on I-24 west of Chattanooga. Just hit the down shift to allow more engine braking and ended up in 5th at one point. Used it a couple of times to limit braking and worked as described.

Didn't need it for a long pull, just a minute or two to help the brakes.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I used it all the time on my 1500 to keep the rpms up. With the custom tune and mods I had it ran better in the higher rpms. Now with my new 2500 I've only used it coming down the mountains to control speed and not burn up the brakes.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
its not a shift button in that sense, meaning you cant hit the gear up button and expect it to shift. it doesnt work that way. what it does is limit your highest gear. if you select gear 6 it stays there until you select a higher gear or the truck feels it needs to downshift. obviously it has a built in fail safe so you cant lets say keep it in 2nd and blow the motor or trans. it will upshift in that type of scenario.

makes sense

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
I dont understand complaining over it not able to up the gear when using the selector. No Automatic transmission ever worked like this... So why would you expect this one to. Just like a column shifter all it is there is so you can limit the highest gear you want it to go to. So you drop down a gear for hauling, passing, and hills.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On long cruising trips I keep the truck in "7th" to keep the rpms at about 2000 with my 2013 V8 CC 4X4 3.21 8speed. It seems to run and sound better. If I don't and keep the truck in "8th" the rpms are in the dreaded 1500-1700 range and the noise in the cab gets unbearable with my 18 boeschbuilt kit.

When on the beach I keep the truck in "3rd" to also keep the rpms up in 4 low with the 44-44 transfer case.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The only thing I don't like about this feature on my truck is that if I'm already cruising at speed and try to engage it, it always drops down to 2nd.

It takes a long time to activate from holding the "-" button down and when it does it starts scrolling down through the selectable gears until I release the button. In my opinion it should be (1) hold down to activate (2) release (3) press again + or - to select desired top gear (no long presses to scroll)...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The only thing I don't like about this feature on my truck is that if I'm already cruising at speed and try to engage it, it always drops down to 2nd.

It takes a long time to activate from holding the "-" button down and when it does it starts scrolling down through the selectable gears until I release the button. In my opinion it should be (1) hold down to activate (2) release (3) press again + or - to select desired top gear (no long presses to scroll)...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Interesting! I hadn't read the manual about this feature until now, but last week when I used it, I tapped the (-) button, an (8) displayed in the EVIC, I hit the (-) again and it down shifted to (7) again to (6) and then (5) on each progressive times I hit the (-) button on my 14 Sport. I just hit (+) however many times I wanted it to up shift until at (8) I hit the (+) again and the (8) went away indicating the truck was no longer in manual shift mode.

I just read the manual and it says to lower gears the way I did, I now see.

You might want to try this method as mine is a 14 also.

rick-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought that button was to keep you out of MDS. So that nice exhaust you just put on doesn't leave you sounding like a four banger in town.