Getting Windows Tinted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 CC 4x4 Longhorn Offroad
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I did 20% on the back and 35% on the front doors. Since a friend of mine owns the tint shop I went with nano ceramic. He only charges me $100 for whatever I want. The truck looks great and the ceramic lets almost no heat in thru the glass. there is only one issue with the nano ceramic tint is something called low level haze. 90% of the time the windows are perfectly clear, but when the sun hits the window a certain way the windows look cloudy. I had carbon tint on my last truck. Carbon blocked more heat than conventional tint, but not as much as ceramic. The carbon was clear all the time. In my opinion the Nano Ceramic is well worth the haze 10% of the time

IMG_2666.JPG

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in NC as well. I had my fronts done to match the rear at a professional shop. It took him maybe 10 minutes and cost $60. Well worth it. He told me that he was obligated to tell me that the 20% tint he was installing was illegal in NC. He added that it was an "add-on" ticket. In other words, if you were stopped for other things, you "might" get a tint ticket.

Right. But you also won't pass annual inspection.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Llumar 15% all the way around for me.
ce0e3b69f162050455e1a798ee2b7155.jpg
Also had Llumar AB 80% ceramic over the whole windshield and a 5% brow
8ffcbe5ee6b670a35c8d3e7d5ae45a14.jpg

Even 80% made an incredible difference. Living in south Texas it’s cut down a ton of glare and doesn’t effect my vision while driving at night. I wear glasses most days and was worried it would mess with me but it doesn’t bother me a bit. Can’t even tell it’s there until you get in a car that doesn’t have film on the windshield. I’d highly recommend looking into it.

I have a question about the windshield tint. I live in Texas also and was curious how you attached your registration sticker. Do you have to have the windshield re-tinted ever year because the tint comes off when you take the sticker off?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question about the windshield tint. I live in Texas also and was curious how you attached your registration sticker. Do you have to have the windshield re-tinted ever year because the tint comes off when you take the sticker off?

In my experience people who get their windshields tinted have a place cut out of the tint where the sticker goes.

You are right about the inspection but it's never been an issue. And, I get all my inspections done at a dealership.

Many inspection stations used to ignore tint, but the state is cracking down. If you get stopped and your tint is below the legal limit the officer is going to ask you how long you've had it on there. If you tell him longer than a year he's going to see where you were inspected last, and that place is going to be hit with a whopper fine. This is what I've been told by two separate inspection stations over the past year. They're really checking tint now, and even the "good ol' boy" shops are going to fail you if it's too dark.

Claytoris

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar Silver
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No sir. It’s just tacked on all four corners and not fully adhered. It peels right off and a little glass cleaner will take care of any residue, if any. My tint guy claims he has done it this way with for a few years with no issues.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s funny you say that, my wife and I have been wondering why her glasses won’t transition when she is in my truck. Thnx to you, now we do.
All automotive glass has been UV resistant for ages .... in fact if it is a laminated glass it has UV coating between the two layers. So windshields and backglass has been this way since the 60's I am not sure when exactly it came to be standard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just had suntek carbon put on the sides and back of mine this weekend. It is cooler than stock. We also have had it on the wife's subaru for 3 years. And our jeep has it all the way around. They all look good.

It Suntek a good tint?

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just had suntek carbon put on the sides and back of mine this weekend. It is cooler than stock. We also have had it on the wife's subaru for 3 years. And our jeep has it all the way around. They all look good.

So you had the side fronts and the side backs done with the Suntek Carbon? How much did they charge you for that? I think they have 2 different carbon films, which one did you go with? I am thinking about going with the ceramic, just waiting for the tinter to get back to me with a price.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Arkansas is very strict on tinted windows most tint shops will put their sticker on the tint and guarantee it if it's legal and they will still do it just not guarantee it if you want it darker.