Getting Windows Tinted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am looking at getting my front windows tinted to match the back windows on my CC. Is there anything special I have to look out for? Any MUST do's or Must Stay away from's? I saw in another thread to get Ceramic Film? I'm all new to window tint and just looking for for some tips/advise. Thanks

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going with as light of a tint as you want, ceramic tint will make a huge difference. Stick with a name brand film like 3m or Madico. If you don't want to spend almost twice as much money on ceramic, dyed and metallic tints do a great job too.

Have it done at a reputable shop that does a lot of business. Most shops offer warranties but what good is a warranty on the tint job if they go out of business?

Do you have tint on any of your windows now? Just matching the rear is not nearly enough for me these days. I like REALLY dark windows though.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most people tint just the front windows because the rears are 'factory tinted' - in reality, they are smoked glass. They do not offer ANY UV protection.

I did my truck and I went 20% all the way around. Here in AZ, UV protection is a huge thing to keeping it cool. Here in AZ, legal on the front doors is 32% and I can do anything I want on the rear. 20% is one shade darker than legal and that 20% make the rear glass nice and dark.

I don't drive like a bat out of hell everywhere, I haven't been pulled over for window tint ever! If you want to give your truck a clean look and just match the rear, believe it's 32%. However, if you want the UV protection on the rear glass and doors, adding 32% over that will darker the rear a bit and won't match the fronts exactly.

ATruckEdit1.jpg

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, when you say 20% or 5%, is that 20% light through or 20% light blocked?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
20% or 5% refers to the amount of visible light transmission or VLT. The lower the number, the less light passes through the tint. So a 100% tint film would allow all of the visible light to come through. 5% would block 95% of light.

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
20% or 5% refers to the amount of visible light transmission or VLT. The lower the number, the less light passes through the tint. So a 100% tint film would allow all of the visible light to come through. 5% would block 95% of light.

So essentially, 5% would be limo tint. Thank You. In NY, I have to have 70% or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. Ultimately, I want to match the rear windows on a CC. What should I ask for?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So essentially, 5% would be limo tint. Thank You. In NY, I have to have 70% or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. Ultimately, I want to match the rear windows on a CC. What should I ask for?
I think the rear privacy glass is actually darker than that. It should be around 35% or so.

Ask the tint shop to use their meter and check what the rear glass is. That will tell you for sure what you need to match. But, you may just have to go with the darkest legal limit if you don't want to risk getting hit with the, "Tint tax" aka ticket for it lol.

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have added 35% DUB IR Tint to the fronts and it's way cooler. Rear glass is around 20% tint from the factory according to my tint guy.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure to check your state regs when it comes to tinting the front windows. Some states don't care, but others are quite restrictive.

I don't understand the logic behind it myself. If it's a police safety thing why can the back glass be darker than the front? What about box trucks or vans that don't have any back glass at all? My truck, for example, has 35% (NC legal) tint on the back glass... but I also have a camper shell, which also has tinted back glass. So you can't see into the cab of my truck from the rear at all. That is somehow legal, but if I had a car my back glass would have to be at 35%.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm in NC as well. I had my fronts done to match the rear at a professional shop. It took him maybe 10 minutes and cost $60. Well worth it. He told me that he was obligated to tell me that the 20% tint he was installing was illegal in NC. He added that it was an "add-on" ticket. In other words, if you were stopped for other things, you "might" get a tint ticket.

Claytoris

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar Silver
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Llumar 15% all the way around for me.
ce0e3b69f162050455e1a798ee2b7155.jpg
Also had Llumar AB 80% ceramic over the whole windshield and a 5% brow
8ffcbe5ee6b670a35c8d3e7d5ae45a14.jpg

Even 80% made an incredible difference. Living in south Texas it’s cut down a ton of glare and doesn’t effect my vision while driving at night. I wear glasses most days and was worried it would mess with me but it doesn’t bother me a bit. Can’t even tell it’s there until you get in a car that doesn’t have film on the windshield. I’d highly recommend looking into it.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most people tint just the front windows because the rears are 'factory tinted' - in reality, they are smoked glass. They do not offer ANY UV protection.

I did my truck and I went 20% all the way around. Here in AZ, UV protection is a huge thing to keeping it cool. Here in AZ, legal on the front doors is 32% and I can do anything I want on the rear. 20% is one shade darker than legal and that 20% make the rear glass nice and dark.

I don't drive like a bat out of hell everywhere, I haven't been pulled over for window tint ever! If you want to give your truck a clean look and just match the rear, believe it's 32%. However, if you want the UV protection on the rear glass and doors, adding 32% over that will darker the rear a bit and won't match the fronts exactly.

View attachment 137568

Pretty sure all glass in vehicles now have UV protection. Ever wonder why your prescription eye glasses don't go dark when inside the truck? I had to get clip on for this reason

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Pretty sure all glass in vehicles now have UV protection. Ever wonder why your prescription eye glasses don't go dark when inside the truck? I had to get clip on for this reason
That’s funny you say that, my wife and I have been wondering why her glasses won’t transition when she is in my truck. Thnx to you, now we do.