Gloss black or matte black wheels ?post pics please !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Unfortunately you can't edit your original post after about 60 days or so. I have reposted the whole build log with changes a couple times and then gave up!

lol.. understandable

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I knew I wanted black to keep with the OEM color scheme which first attracted me to the Hydro Blue Sport, but like you I struggled with just exactly "which black?". I sorta went outside my comfort zone with the PVD Black Chrome color on the OE replica Hellcat wheels. Web site photo's tend to not tell the whole truth as there are to many computer screen variables to enable one to get a totally exact representation of the product, in most cases. But I took a chance anyway. When the Hellcat wheels arrived it was like "Wow...I'm not really sure that this is what I had envisioned,...maybe I just wasted my money?" The initial impression was "to much chrome not enough black". The way the sun hits this finish really changes up the look of them. In shade they are no doubt about it black. When the sun/light hits from the side angle they can become extremely chrome like in appearance. In very short order I found that I really liked them once installed to the truck. The gloss finish I thought might help hide the dirt and dust of normal use and I think it does to a degree (subjective comment). They may be easier to clean (that's what I tell myself) because of the shiny surface, but it's difficult to tell in truth. I still like the semi-gloss black on the OEM wheels though. I don't think I'd go flat black based only on what I have in front of me to compare to. That said, with the right combination the flat black works for some applications, as you can see from the memberships offerings here. I'm not sure if my photo's show any of my commentary to very good effect.

T.

Stockwheel4.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

EGRRam2.jpg

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I knew I wanted black to keep with the OEM color scheme which first attracted me to the Hydro Blue Sport, but like you I struggled with just exactly "which black?". I sorta went outside my comfort zone with the PVD Black Chrome color on the OE replica Hellcat wheels. Web site photo's tend to not tell the whole truth as there are to many computer screen variables to enable one to get a totally exact representation of the product, in most cases. But I took a chance anyway. When the Hellcat wheels arrived it was like "Wow...I'm not really sure that this is what I had envisioned,...maybe I just wasted my money?" The initial impression was "to much chrome not enough black". The way the sun hits this finish really changes up the look of them. In shade they are no doubt about it black. When the sun/light hits from the side angle they can become extremely chrome like in appearance. In very short order I found that I really liked them once installed to the truck. The gloss finish I thought might help hide the dirt and dust of normal use and I think it does to a degree (subjective comment). They may be easier to clean (that's what I tell myself) because of the shiny surface, but it's difficult to tell in truth. I still like the semi-gloss black on the OEM wheels though. I don't think I'd go flat black based only on what I have in front of me to compare to. That said, with the right combination the flat black works for some applications, as you can see from the memberships offerings here. I'm not sure if my photo's show any of my commentary to very good effect.

T.

View attachment 160494

View attachment 160495

View attachment 160496

You have a very sharp looking ride !

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We use to call them .....wait for it.....”hub caps”. Just sayin.

T.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Matte black then matte clear of course the color matched hydro blue milled sections

20181204_111703.jpg

Reactions: JB1

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Gloss and when you don’t have the time for a wash they become matte. Lol. That’s how it works on my oem chrome.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We use to call them .....wait for it.....”hub caps”. Just sayin.

T.
I think there is a difference as the wheel skins are the same design as the wheels, they snap on top of the existing wheel.

Whereas a hubcap covers the entire steel wheel, different design.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think there is a difference as the wheel skins are the same design as the wheels, they snap on top of the existing wheel.

Whereas a hubcap covers the entire steel wheel, different design.

“You say tomato. I say tomoto. Let’s call the whole thing off!”

I hear ya Neil. Just poking fun and maybe dating myself. There really called “wheel covers”...at least to some of us old farts!

T.

Last edited:

Steele713

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I am Way late to this party, but I picked up some built to serve rims. They looked like a dull satin finish until I claybared them and used a rubbing compound with my drill. Now they have a very deep more gloss black. I think they look so much better now. Can't wait to get some tires for them and get them on the Ram

Attachments

• 20230306_182502.jpg
    20230306_182502.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 9

Steele713

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I am Way late to this party, but I picked up some built to serve rims. They looked like a dull satin finish until I claybared them and used a rubbing compound with my drill. Now they have a very deep more gloss black. I think they look so much better now. Can't wait to get some tires for them and get them on the Ram

Attachments

• 20230306_175430.jpg
    20230306_175430.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 8